Holstein Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Radi Cilo

Reaction score
Is it true these are the most agressive bulls of all the breeds? Including all beef and all dairy?

Back when my Grandparents had a Holstein Dairy Farm, they "Barrowed" Bulls for a reasonable fee.

Is this method still used? Or do you think it was just a small favor other local farmers used?

in my book holsteins are mean as the devil.had a 3000lb hol bull that would go after you if went more than 50ft behind the dairy.lucky he never got anyone.b/c he would of killed them.scott

Any reason for Holstein Bulls being so mean?
Is it because heifer Holsteins have trouble running (in affect making them more prone to predators)?

Or just no real reason?

I've wondered if it's because they've had so much contact with people, they become unafraid. Or they realize how big they are in relation to us.

I haven't seen that holstein heifers have problems running in relation to other breeds - in fact, I've seen some older dairy cows with pretty big bags that can still run really well. :lol: Esp when you're trying to make them go somewhere they don't want to.

Some folks claim Jersey bulls are the meanest - I wouldn't know. I've only dealt with the Holsteins.

Radi Cilo":3uqmlyso said:
Is it true these are the most agressive bulls of all the breeds? Including all beef and all dairy?

Jerseys are pretty mean too. In the 30s here in Alabama a ridiculous number of people were KILLED by little Jersey bulls (Holsteins weren't common here then). I think the number I heard quoted was 100++ fatalities in that decade alone(they were the dominant cattle breed here then). Jerseys by all sources are the most sexually aggressive bulls and if they have to run over a fence or a sharecropper along the way that is fine with them. I have also heard some pretty wild stories about Aryshire bulls. Dairy breed bulls are generally far more dangerous than beef breed bulls; because the hormone rush that allows a dairy cow to produce 12,000 to 100,000+ pounds of milk a year can lead to droid rage in the other gender.

Oh. That makes sence.

Yep - My grandmother was nearly killed from a Holstein Bull when she was a kid. Bull was out in pasture and she didn't know it. Bull began to chase her, luckily they're dog realized what was happening and pulled the bull on himself and ran away.

Lucky that dog was around she was.

I read somewhere that there is a proven correlation between agressive bulls and bottle feeding/hand raising. Evidently it has to do with the "imprinting" that all young animals (including human babies) do. That's why dairy bulls tend to be so much more agressive, as most of them are raised by humans rather than by their mother.

Thats pretty interesting, so appearantly they lack a distrust for humans, meaning they are not as weary of humans and treat a human the way they would another cow or in this case bulls.

CopeMan":1hwc9apy said:
Thats pretty interesting, so appearantly they lack a distrust for humans, meaning they are not as weary of humans and treat a human the way they would another cow or in this case bulls.

It isn't distrust they lack, it's respect.

dun

All I know is Holstein bulls are the meanest I have ever had to deal with. There is a thread on this subject somewhere. My grandad's Holstein bull pen was made out of rail road cross ties for a reason. :lol:

There temperment Radi is why most dairy farms use extensive AI, not many dairy famers use herd bulls anymore unless maybe for cleanup.

I wish someone would post a picture of a big holstein bull!! Ive only seen one and it was some years ago.

CopeMan":1u5x2xdn said:
I wish someone would post a picture of a big holstein bull!! Ive only seen one and it was some years ago.

This is Darrell, he's not particularly big as Hosltein bulls go. 26 months and around 5'9" at the back

darrell2.jpg

darrell1.jpg

El_Putzo":3vv2uv8m said:
dun":3vv2uv8m said:
Nope, clean up bull at the dairy

dun

How come you were standing so far away in the picture?? :lol: :lol:

He didn;t want to come up under the roof and I didn;t want to get my boots sh..y, pants either for that matter. Darrell has started getting an attitude even at his young age, thinks the cows are his .

dun

Latest posts