Holisteins as feeder cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

shortybreeder":154qvgws said:
TexasBred":154qvgws said:
Till-Hill":154qvgws said:
last thing a fella wants to do is try to argue "spotted cattle" with someone that makes a living growing and slaughtering "spotted cattle".
And just because someone is making a living doing it don't mean they are right either.
Means their right a he// of a lot more if they've been doing all most of their adult life. Maybe you need to ride up and see the operation.
it also doesn't mean they can't improve and be open to some new ideas... Sometimes someone gets so caught up in their way of doing things that they can't make a change. I'm not saying that is the case here, I'm just saying that because somebody has done something for a long time doesn't necessarily mean they are right. Ever heard the story about the child asking their parent why they cut the ends of the ham off, and the parent says "because that's how my mom did it" and then the child asks her grandma, who says "because that's how my mom did it" and then the child asks her great-grandma, who says "because that's the only way I could get it to fit in the pan"?[/quote]
This man is anything but a "closed mind" and always looking to improve his operation. He knows his business.

I wasn't directing that towards an individual, just towards the statement about not wanting to argue with someone who is making a living doing something.

Holsteins as feeder cattle?
Check out Brandt Beef in California. They feed out thousands of head per year.
All they feed are Holsteins.

About 5 years ago America's Test Kitchen did a blind taste test of several steaks in a Best mail order steaks in America.

1st place was dry aged Wagyu from Loebel's
2nd place Brandt Beef
When the price tags were turned over...Brandt was the only steak to receive a Highly Recommended rating.

Although they did say if you love steak you should at least consider trying Wagyu once in your lifetime.

They also included a choice grade supermarket steak and it beat 1 of the mail order steaks...but I forget which one.

Local cash price here is 3.83 with new crop at 3.85. That is with a $.95 basis which is down from the $1.04 basis we have seen for most of the past month. We haven't seen $4.30 corn all winter.

Are these Steins going to be fed on a TMR ration? Or are you going to feed them on self feeder? My experience, TMR is definately the way to go if you can justify the costs, which doesnt take much. Cost of Gain is cheaper and adding in a little bit of wet feed definately helps out their appetites.

blazer21":11lxnr2i said:
Are these Steins going to be fed on a TMR ration? Or are you going to feed them on self feeder? My experience, TMR is definately the way to go if you can justify the costs, which doesnt take much. Cost of Gain is cheaper and adding in a little bit of wet feed definately helps out their appetites.
in our area silage fed steers get docked really bad

Shortybreeder, why do they get docked heavily for use of silage? I've fed multiple groups of steins at all different weights and once I incorporated some silage to the diet, it has helped performance, quality and drastically lowered cost of gain. I only feed 10-30% in the ration. My ration consists of my balancer pellet, corn, silage, roughage and modified wet distillers.

blazer21":13dklx7n said:
Shortybreeder, why do they get docked heavily for use of silage?

Larger frames and few grade choice.
About 7.5% less currently = about 10 cents under full grain fed holsteins
Not saying that it may not be more profitable to feed silage, but more select grade finishers brings less money per pound,
but silage fed holsteins finish heavier, so it may be a horse a piece... or 6 of one, half dozen of the other.
10-15% isn't considered silage fed, so maybe 1-3 cents under top price.

Son of Butch":2js28x9j said:
blazer21":2js28x9j said:

Not saying that it may not be more profitable to feed silage, but more select grade finishers brings less money per pound,
but silage fed holsteins finish heavier, so it may be a horse a piece... or 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

I want to understand your answer a little more. When you say 7.5% currently, how are they being sold? are you selling them on a grid or just flat out in the meat pounds? I'm curious because usually yes, i do get bid 8-10$ below the board. So is that their reasoning behind that cut in initial bid too? Have you fed Holsteins and got them to do the same as colored cattle? If so, I want to know how you do it!

blazer21":2arfhfco said:
Son of Butch":2arfhfco said:
blazer21":2arfhfco said:

I want to understand your answer a little more.

Zumbrota, Mn. Market Report June 9, 2014
Corn Fed Beef Steers 144.00 - 148.00 cwt
mixed grading 125.00 - 141.50

Corn Fed Holstein steers 134.75 - 142.50
Silage Fed Holstein steers, select grade, light weights & heavy weights... 106.00 - 134.00

Representative Sales
14 Black Steers 1359# 147.75
8 Black Steers 1336# 145.75
11 blk/red hfrs 1282 145.00
9 black heifers 1412 142.25
2 black steers 1105 136.00

6 Holstein steers 1302# 140.00
10 Holstein steers 1513# 136.50
4 Holstein steers 1450# 133.75
2 Holstein steers 1855# 124.00

1855 x 1.24 = $2300
1302 x 1.40 = $1822
2300 - 1822 = $478 more for the silage fed holstein heavyweights than the choice holsteins.

Of course the COST to get each to their market price is what's important.
Net $ should be your focus not Gross $

Latest posts