Holisteins as feeder cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

Umm ok. Well I'm telling you that my buddy feeds 1500 Holsteins, my calf man couple 100 every year and his work 5000+ and never heard "calf fed"? I've been herdsman on dairy for 14 years in June. Milked cows my entire life so why don't you educate me?

1400lb liveweight *.75=1050 hanging*.5=525lbs beef.
1400*1.3=1820/525=3.47 and the school got a good rate on processing. Holstein steers raised right don't have THAT horrible of yields to have 420 lbs leftover out of a 1400lb steer. If your steers are yielding that low then you seriously need to look over your feeding program.

Till-Hill":284arfp9 said:
Umm ok. Well I'm telling you that my buddy feeds 1500 Holsteins, my calf man couple 100 every year and his work 5000+ and never heard "calf fed"? I've been herdsman on dairy for 14 years in June. Milked cows my entire life so why don't you educate me?
Well I guess I don't need to tell you anything then do I, you know everything there is to know already, except for what a calf fed Holstein is.

shortybreeder":1msp0ky2 said:
1400lb liveweight *.75=1050 hanging*.5=525lbs beef.
1400*1.3=1820/525=3.47 and the school got a good rate on processing. Holstein steers raised right don't have THAT horrible of yields to have 420 lbs leftover out of a 1400lb steer. If your steers are yielding that low then you seriously need to look over your feeding program.
Yep I will bow down now, anyone able to have a hcw of 75% of live out of a holstien is in a league of their own. You will never get over 420 pounds ground burger out of any 1400 live animal. Good luck in your story tellin.

"In summary, a steer
weighing 1,000 pounds on the hoof
will average around 430 pounds of
retail cuts (steaks, roasts, ground
beef, stew beef, etc.)." from http://www.oda.state.ok.us/food/fs-cowweight.pdf
I may have been off on my hanging percentage, but saying you'll only get 420 pounds off of a 1400 pound steer is just as inaccurate. The school has no use for steaks so everything was ground into burger.

shortybreeder":1sxv0kn2 said:
"In summary, a steer
weighing 1,000 pounds on the hoof
will average around 430 pounds of
retail cuts (steaks, roasts, ground
beef, stew beef, etc.)." from http://www.oda.state.ok.us/food/fs-cowweight.pdf
I may have been off on my hanging percentage, but saying you'll only get 420 pounds off of a 1400 pound steer is just as inaccurate. The school has no use for steaks so everything was ground into burger.
Shorty by your own posts you have made it abundantly clear that you do not have a clue when it comes to yield of cattle. Yet you still think you can educate me on yield? You will never get more than 420# of 90/10 ground beef out of a 1400# live animal. The school is paying substantially more to you for their ground beef than if they bought it from USDA.

You know what, you're right. I don't have much experience with yield of cattle. All I know is what I have researched, and the OK State information sheet says that a 1000lb steer will yield, on average, 430 pounds of beef. And I know a 1400 pound steer will yield more beef than a 1000lb steer. I may not have many years under my belt in the feeding business, but at least I am doing something to show the next generation of lawmakers, animal-rights activists, and consumers that food does not "come from wal-mart" and that it IS raised humanely and that the animals are NOT abused. Modern agriculture has to be about more than where can we find the cheapest food, and more about how we produce that food. As producers we MUST go out into the public and use our voices, otherwise it is as if we are trying to hide from the activists like PETA and it makes the consumers think that we have something to hide. So before you go on ranting about how bad the tax levy's must be, think about what it is doing for the future of agriculture. I think most would agree that corporations exist to make money, and if that is true, then why would they send a rep to me to sign for more steers if it was going to cost them $3 per pound more than what they already get? Either the numbers are wrong, or they recognize the improvement of quality and security involved with knowing exactly where the food is coming from and being able to trust that it was handled properly and that the meat is not being butchered before any meat withholding deadlines.

My last comment to you Ibetyamissedme is I'm guessing you mean "calf fed" as calves feed just grain and that's what all these would be I was talking about, never seen anything more than cornstalk bedding in their life. (besides milk of course and shelled corn and a protein pellet) sorry had to edit that part in case you didn't understand me.

I don't know a whole lot of yields on cattle but just 2 weeks ago my hired man's family's 2nd calf cow in the process of pulling a full breech the vet put a hole in her. So we loaded her up and took her to the locker. Now this heifer was in decent flesh but I'd say with 100% of my thinking she did not weigh a pound over 1200 and way closer to under 1100 after calf was out. I told them to expect just as you say 300 lbs or little more of burger.

The next week they call and ask if I can find some people that need it, guess what 528#'s of hamburger! I was shocked. Not saying it happens everytime but it's not NEVER!

Till-Hill":143ct24w said:
My last comment to you Ibetyamissedme is I'm guessing you mean "calf fed" as calves feed just grain and that's what all these would be I was talking about, never seen anything more than cornstalk bedding in their life. (besides milk of course and shelled corn and a protein pellet) sorry had to edit that part in case you didn't understand me.

I don't know a whole lot of yields on cattle but just 2 weeks ago my hired man's family's 2nd calf cow in the process of pulling a full breech the vet put a hole in her. So we loaded her up and took her to the locker. Now this heifer was in decent flesh but I'd say with 100% of my thinking she did not weigh a pound over 1200 and way closer to under 1100 after calf was out. I told them to expect just as you say 300 lbs or little more of burger.

The next week they call and ask if I can find some people that need it, guess what 528#'s of hamburger! I was shocked. Not saying it happens everytime but it's not NEVER!
I can't imagine why a person would continue to feed a calf fed Holstein to 1600#, that's foolish, the pipe will get every one of them. Hence the discount. Per your heifer, you had no idea of her live weight just a guess, scales on the other hand don't guess. I doubt if they were keeping the burger it was 90/10 like Michelle has stipulated either. I've weighed and ground enough black and whites to tell you the truth.

js1234":211lac4c said:
ibetyamissedme":211lac4c said:
Till-Hill":211lac4c said:
I don't understand calf fed?
And you thought you should educate me on finishing weight of black and whites?
LOL!
last thing a fella wants to do is try to argue "spotted cattle" with someone that makes a living growing and slaughtering "spotted cattle".

last thing a fella wants to do is try to argue "spotted cattle" with someone that makes a living growing and slaughtering "spotted cattle".[/quote]
And just because someone is making a living doing it don't mean they are right either.

Till-Hill":1s7ol3id said:
last thing a fella wants to do is try to argue "spotted cattle" with someone that makes a living growing and slaughtering "spotted cattle".
And just because someone is making a living doing it don't mean they are right either.[/quote]
Means their right a he// of a lot more if they've been doing all most of their adult life. Maybe you need to ride up and see the operation.

TexasBred":2xp3jdb6 said:
Till-Hill":2xp3jdb6 said:
And just because someone is making a living doing it don't mean they are right either.
Means their right a he// of a lot more if they've been doing all most of their adult life. Maybe you need to ride up and see the operation.[/quote]
it also doesn't mean they can't improve and be open to some new ideas... Sometimes someone gets so caught up in their way of doing things that they can't make a change. I'm not saying that is the case here, I'm just saying that because somebody has done something for a long time doesn't necessarily mean they are right. Ever heard the story about the child asking their parent why they cut the ends of the ham off, and the parent says "because that's how my mom did it" and then the child asks her grandma, who says "because that's how my mom did it" and then the child asks her great-grandma, who says "because that's the only way I could get it to fit in the pan"?

shortybreeder":17lo643n said:
TexasBred":17lo643n said:
Till-Hill":17lo643n said:
Means their right a he// of a lot more if they've been doing all most of their adult life. Maybe you need to ride up and see the operation.
it also doesn't mean they can't improve and be open to some new ideas... Sometimes someone gets so caught up in their way of doing things that they can't make a change. I'm not saying that is the case here, I'm just saying that because somebody has done something for a long time doesn't necessarily mean they are right. Ever heard the story about the child asking their parent why they cut the ends of the ham off, and the parent says "because that's how my mom did it" and then the child asks her grandma, who says "because that's how my mom did it" and then the child asks her great-grandma, who says "because that's the only way I could get it to fit in the pan"?[/quote] considering this fact that you sells Holstein feeders privately to the school and not at the feedlots. Soon or later, the school boards might will cut you off if the beef gets too pricey or cannot afford the local beef.