Hog thread

Help Support CattleToday:

Commercialfarmer

Reaction score
Didn't want to keep HG's thread off on tangent about hogs. So started a new one.

Caustic Burno":2ls7mmbv said:
Commercialfarmer":2ls7mmbv said:
What have you heard about this? Very interested.

Bait with sodium nitrate takes hogs out.
Don't know the concentration in the bait.
If they ever get it approved think they need to drop a sounder
off in a few eastern neighborhoods and it would be available post haste.

That's rich CB, sodium nitrite..... the cure is the cure! :lol:

Found an interesting article why you just can't go off and use it as is.
http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2014 ... e-year-to/

There's a product in Aussie land already on the shelves.
Hog gone http://wildpigconference.com/proceedings09/lapidge1.pdf

Hog Gone and variations of it is what TAMU has been playing with in the Kerr WMA.

Supposed to cool off some in the next couple of days going to set up right at dark and call.
Works halfway decent on the boars.

Forgot to add you know that you can call hogs as well especially the big boars Foxpro and I think it is Cass make one.
I know Flextone make calls.
I wouldn't do it off the ground as they come in hot. I have a flextone and it works decent late evening or after dark need
a good laser light or night vision as well.

Yes the sod nitrite baits were developed over here as an alternative to 1080 for pigs. With working dogs being such a valuable asset to graziers this was tried out as an alternative as there is a readily available antidote if for the poison. It has been put through enough trials to satisfy the drug registration people and the product is now on the market.
I think from my memory of toxicology the nitrite converts haemoglobin to methaemaglobin which does not carry oxygen real well and the methylene blue changes it back. Most country vets will carry the methylene blue on their shelves as we have plants that contain nitrites and it is the antidote.
Just as a side note I can remember in our toxicology prac classes at Uni we were given sheep to inject with cyanide and their gums would go a real crimson colour and difficult breathing then we injected with sodium nitrite to change the cyanohaemoglobin to methaemoglobin and their gums would go a muddy colour then we injected them with methylene blue and they would go back to normal ready for the next class. I might be a bit technically out here it was a long time ago but I am sure Lucky would put us right if I have erred.
You can well imagine being allowed to do this today with live animals but as you can see this prac exercise served it's purpose and has stuck with me.
If a dog gets hold of 1080 bait which is still used widely for wild dogs and foxes then it is a gonner, no antidote for it and I am sure the sod nitrite is a more humane bate.
Ken

Ken, I hadn't heard about the toxin 1080, but I think maybe I've been around it (state use to kill coyotes), just didn't know it.

The sodium nitrite sounds like a safer option in pig control to prevent peripheral damage.

Latest posts