Hog Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Some of the hog hunters around here are going to Jack Russell's with a pit or cur as a catch dog.
They call them the swarm of bees, heard one fellow say a hog came by him one night with the little terriers hanging on to him like Christmas ornaments. I bet they would run a hog absolutely nuts.

When we raised hogs, my youngest daughter has a mini long haired Jack Russell. Once she figured it out, you could sort sows, put one in the alley and if there was a farrowing crate open, she would put that sow in that crate and keep her there until you came to shut the door. She isn't good at sorting, but if you want a load of hogs loaded or unloaded, she does the job quite well. I can imagine the image of those critters hanging on a hog like christmas ornaments! :lol: :lol:

My family has raised high dollar Rottweilers for over 3 decades. They once bought a Border Terrier (small dog) to go with their 2 Rotts. This is either the ugliest dog you've ever seen or the most beautiful. Truly a personal choice. It is also tiny next to a full grown Rott. The Border Terrier was bred and used for sending down the Fox Hole to drag out the Fox. When it was time to establish who was the boss over whom, the Border Terrier just grabbed onto the jowl of the Rott and held on while being shaken around. Very soon, it was if the Rott said; "If you'll just let me go, we can just call it even and we won't have to talk about it again?" The Rott let go and they never had the discussion again. Do a google search, Border Terriers are not big in size but tend to make an impression. :tiphat:

Latest posts