Hoff's selling out

Help Support CattleToday:

Is it a mature cowherd dispersal like a few years ago or actual dispersal? If it is, do you know the reason?

BA":w4y09ayc said:
Is it a mature cowherd dispersal like a few years ago or actual dispersal? If it is, do you know the reason?

Total dispersal, selling ranch, equipment, cattle. They say they tried to just cut back and that didn't work, so they're selling it all.

I got word from Doug Hoff this morning that Oct. 16 they are selling the cow herd, semen, embryos including bull and heifer calves.

On Oct 17 they are selling the equipment and the ranch unless it has already sold by private treaty.

For anyone looking for replacement females or herd sire prospects, this will be the place so spend for a few days before Oct. 18 to get a good look at the cattle that you would be interested in.

Where are they located?
Could you please give out more information?
Im in Arizona,
Thx

Now I know why some of you guys like these big cows.

8500 acres. 500 cows. 16 acres per cow.

Not too awful far from there, it is more like 10,000 acres, and 250 cows. 40 acres per cow.

No wonder they can't cut it out here in tougher country.

How about their reds, brg? How are their reds?

mtnman

To be honest, I have never seen any of their Red Cattle. I know they have some, but don't ever see their pedigrees anywhere.

It doesn't take that much to run a cow in Bison, SD. They are actually in pretty good country for western SD. It probably takes around 25 acres per cow there. For us it is around 20 and they are about 100 miles west. Not that much different. Yes, there cows are bigger than mine so it will take more. But it is not 40 acres.

Right BRG, right.

It is over 40 acres where we are, and that is why these big cows don't work here.

mtnman

OK, I guess I misread your writings. If you don't mind me asking mtnman, where are you located at?

Sure do hate to hear Doug Hoff is getting out. I started my herd years ago with a bunch of Hoff Hi Spade breeding. I still hope for heifer calves to retain everytime one of those Hi Spade cows has a calf. Good luck to you, Doug Hoff, and as long as I am in the cattle business, there will Hoff breeding in my herd.

If you need them big and good, then there isn't really too much of a better place. A few up and comers.

If you want big, there are plenty to go around, but not big and good.

mtnman

Latest posts