Hobby Farmers

Help Support CattleToday:

I always think of a hobby farmer as somebody that doesnt make their living farming or ranching...doesnt mean theres really anything bad wrong with em. Just like people that farm or ranch for a living arent all good.

So I'd say that maybe anybody with less than 100 head or so is probably a hobby guy for sure. But a lot of big registerd ranches run way more cattle than that and they do it for ahobby with money they got from somewhere else. Ive had one or two little hobby guys for neighbors and theyre not really too bad as long as i dont have to be around em much

Chances are if you have had to get on your computer and come to this site and ask a question about cattle, your a HOBBY FARMER.

If you can haul your entire herd in a 26 foot gooseneck and you have to knock the horns off them ornamentals, so you can pack em tight.

You are a hobby rancher.

After reading through the beginners board and health board I am throughly convinced about 70 % of this board is now hobby ranchers.
You know you are Hobby Rancher
If you name your cows
You can Haul your entire Ranch in a cattle trailer
Your Hat is as big as your four wheel drive that seldom leaves the paved road.
If your address doesn't start with RFD
Real Cattlemen feel free to add to the list
Please preface all post with YOU MIGHT BE A HOBBY FARMER if

YOu might be a hobby farmer if you call your 10 cows a heard
You might be a hobby farmer if your tractor is less than 35hp

you might be a hobby farmer if the fence on your property could hold an elephant and is worth more than your ten cows will earn in their lifetime

you might be a hobby farmer if the size of your property wouldn't make a good shooting range

I've got some more but they would offend some on the boards and I'm not about to start something

Caustic Burno":3fwcslhu said:
After reading through the beginners board and health board I am throughly convinced about 70 % of this board is now hobby ranchers.
Only 70%? You must have skipped some posts.......

You might be a hobby farmer if...

1. You wash and shine your boots at the end of each day.
2. You go out of your way to avoid stepping on a dried cow pattie.
3. Your house is more expensive than your barn.
4. Your fencing is PVC white plastic.
5. You have trouble deciding the difference between a heifer, cow, steer, or bull.

Good ideas.

You might be a hobby farmer if:

You get offended when a real rancher calls you a hobby farmer.

You buy your vaccinations from your veterinarian.

You think giving vaccinations is a job for the vet.

You use a different needle for every cow or calf when giving vaccinations.

You think pulling a calf or fixing a prolapse is a job for the vet.

You don't know the normal presentaion of a calf delivery.

You trim the hooves on your whole herd.

Your little toy cow is smaller than a large dog.

You can't sell your culls at the auction barn because the order buyers wouldn't know what they are.

You've never lost a cow or calf or never had one get sick.

You think LA200 is a sports car.

You think an EPD is similar to the CIA or FBI.

You get an income tax refund.

You think the governemtn should give grants to get started in the cattle business.

You buy your hay (especially from the feed store).

You don't check the price of feed.

You let the guy at the feed store tell you what to feed.

You ask a stranger how many acres they have or how many cows they run.

You take pictures instead of taking care of business.

You think your 40hp tractor needs 4wd and front end loader.

You think R-Calf is a support group for Canadian ranchers.

You think border issues don't concern you because you don't live close to a border.

We've alwasy have named the cows and calves. One simple reason. My wife can;t tell from a distance (and most times up close) one cow from the other. When I tell her that M118 got out she has no idea who M118 is. It's probably a carry-over from the dairy where everything has a name, even the kids and dogs.

dun

I guess most of the people that are answering this post are truly genious at their respective professions and don't like the people that ask the "dumb question", even if it's been answered, albeit a different way. I guess most of these "ranchers" don't like to be bothered with teaching anybody, just making fun of them. I guess most of the experts have never had to ask the "dumb question" from their fathers because it was geneticaly placed there by thier forefathers. I guess every one that is just starting out is a "dumb a__ and the experts shouldn't be bothered by these "dumb questions". I guess raising cattle is an elite profession left to the experts and not to anybody that wants to join there club. I guess.

Dick Austin

icandoit

To a certain extent I agree with you. I suppose it stems from the:

1. My calf / cow / bull is sick - what do I do?
2. How many cows can I run?

and so on.

Sometimes I think there should be a section that has a "Top Tips For Beginners" where they can go to learn a few things.

Traditionally I find the poster who asks the "dumb" question will get his / her answer - but they often never respond to say anything - that tends to drive me crazy.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and not all have a family member or friend who can help.

When I started out on my own many years ago, I had help from friends and a strong background from family - wife came along and I had to teach her every thing - then through careful observation and "doing" she got enough knowledge to start training me - now we are a team - so I was one of the fortunates.

Hobby is not a bad word to me - after all, nearly every cattle producer in Canada is now a hobby guy / gal and works off farm to maintain their "hobby".

Stay well,

Bez

I have found this thread absolutely hilarous, reading how important some of the larger operations think they are and how mad some of the little bitty guys are getting. I do agree there has been an explosion of questions that were not well thought out. But think about it you couldn't ask Cattlemen you know cause to many laughter related injuries .

PS I think if the rookies would ask a question and not make 20 post a day to the board with just verbage they would get a lot more respectful response until they learned. Learn a lot more listening

Campground Cattle":36teu9bm said:
I have found this thread absolutely hilarous, reading how important some of the larger operations think they are and how mad some of the little bitty guys are getting. I do agree there has been an explosion of questions that were not well thought out. But think about it you couldn't ask Cattlemen you know cause to many laughter related injuries .

PS I think if the rookies would ask a question and not make 20 post a day to the board with just verbage they would get a lot more respectful response until they learned. Learn a lot more listening

Couldn't agree more.

Check out my posts. I READ,not just post for posts sake....if your talking to me.

Dick

I think most hobby farmers were not in line to inherit the family ranch and family backing :p If not most were hobby farmers at one point :shock:

mwj":2912bphd said:
I think most hobby farmers were not in line to inherit the family ranch and family backing :p If not most were hobby farmers at one point :shock:

No inheritance here. Started from scratch and got everything I have with my own blood and sweat. But you can still call me a hobby farmer if you want.

Latest posts