Hobby Farmers

Help Support CattleToday:

txag

Reaction score
several of the posts referring to hobby farmers & those who take offense at being called such has started me thinking..........what is your definition of a "hobby farmer"?

anyone feel free to answer, but i would especially like those with only 3 or 4 cows & a couple of acres to answer. if you don't consider yourself a hobby farmer, what do you consider a hobby farmer?

LimiMan":2j3lgqtf said:
I think you meant hobby rancher, farmers have nothing to do with cows :D

Hence the term "Dairy Ranches?" Way back in the early days, the farmer had a little bit of about everything: crops, pigs, chickens, horses, and :shock: cows!

Agree. Hobby Farmer (Rancher) in my opinion is someone who has a day job and uses the operation as a tax write-off or weekend leisure thing. Also known as an "absentee landlord".

On other hand, for someone starting an operation new, unless they want to (or can) get into high debt, they finance their startup operation with their other cash. Then, in several years, they may be making some money or a profit. They are living on the place. They are set up as a business...the INTENT is to try to make some money on it and support some kind of rural lifestyle. This is NOT a hobby farm in my opinion.

Still on the other hand, if an operation has a few livestock on one of those "ranchettes" (e.g., 5 or 10 acres) in a "controlled" type subdivision on the outskirts of a city...yes, that would be classified as a "hobby" operation...in my opinion.

When I was a kid my parents had a small herd of hereford cows and then we went to raising holstein bottle calves. When I married I wanted cattle so we started again with bottle calves. I would rather have beef cows, because I enjoy seeing the calves with their mothers. We were fortunate enough to purchase a 35 acre"hobby farm" two years ago. Around here it's very hard to find any affordable acreage. They parcel out the dairy farms into 40's, 20's or 5 acre parcels and the five or so acres left with the house and buildings are listed as "hobby farms". We have 4 beef cows and two yearlings right now because I really enjoy having cattle around. There is no way we could ever afford to have a big place so I have to be content at the way we have things now. We only had 5 acres before and I still had two cows there, so this is a step up. We are not able to make much money yet (we've spent more than we've made so far) we do it because we like to. We are not rich and we don't use it as a tax right off. We know where or beef comes from because we've raised it ourselves. The kids grow up learning things city kids wouldn't have a clue about. When you get the comment from friends or relatives that they can't eat your meat because it once had a name,or they won't eat things canned in a mason jar, it gets kind of frustrating. We've learned so much having just the few head that we do. It's very rewarding and it can be very heart breaking too. I always seem to be worrying about something, whether it's the weather or a sick animal, catching a cow in heat, waiting for a calf to be born...ect, ect.. there is always something. Just because we only have a few animals doesn't mean we don't have some of the same problems those of you who have lots of cattle do. Sometimes I wish we could have more cattle, but then I would have more to worry about. Guys that my husband works with are spending big bucks every year for new $9000 snowmobiles, $13,000 boats, our hobby is our little piece of the country. I really admire those of you who have lots of cattle and have enjoyed learning from you! Hobby farmer to me isn't such a bad word, and I hope you don't look down on me for being one.

Running Arrow Bill":2ichlnde said:
Agree. Hobby Farmer (Rancher) in my opinion is someone who has a day job and uses the operation as a tax write-off or weekend leisure thing. Also known as an "absentee landlord".

On other hand, for someone starting an operation new, unless they want to (or can) get into high debt, they finance their startup operation with their other cash. Then, in several years, they may be making some money or a profit. They are living on the place. They are set up as a business...the INTENT is to try to make some money on it and support some kind of rural lifestyle. This is NOT a hobby farm in my opinion.

Still on the other hand, if an operation has a few livestock on one of those "ranchettes" (e.g., 5 or 10 acres) in a "controlled" type subdivision on the outskirts of a city...yes, that would be classified as a "hobby" operation...in my opinion.

Lets see I live on the "ranch"
I'm not just sarting out
Don't owe one penny
I own more than 10 acres
The cows make money
Dang I feel better Bill :D :D

I guess that I'm guilty of being a "Hobby Farmer". We have 4 cows,
3 heifers, & 1 bull . The rest of the livestock is horses, sheep,& chickens. Every spring , we put in a garden.

And yes, I have to go work a other job , just to keep this circus going!!

I may have a "small" outfit. But it's my outfit and I'm proud of it.
I'm really glad that this web site is here.

your right mr. campground cattle. on the right kinda little ranch around all them pine trees and bemuda grass over in texas were you are i bet a man can grow some good cows and enuff of em. hell may be even a lot more then on 22 acres up on them hi plains :shock: way out west we can need 50 or more acres just to keep 1 cow and her calf in a good year. hell maybe 640 out here is just one of them ranchetes

My CPA sends out letters throughout the year to help prepare for the upcoming taxes. A couple years ago I think I remember one saying that an operation had to show a profit 2 out of 7 years to not be considered a hobby farm.

never said it was anything bad to be a hobby farmer, on the contrary. i think it is great for kids to be around animals large or small. i"m guessing most of perverts & peta people never had been around any

hobby-passtime, leisure pursuit, diversion, relaxation, sideline

I would say it has to do with motive and profit. Some have cattle as a better way of life for their family, and some as a tax break. I guess I would say that you are not a hobby farmer if your cattle provide you with a real income beyond freezer beef, relaxation, deductions, and the cost of keeping them.

Don't think you qualify, Bez! I think one of the keys to "hobbies" was relaxation and I will guess that that has not been the case for most of you extreme northerners. :shock:

Thank the Good Lord for the Hobby Farmer!! Being in the feed and farm supply business, they make up a large percentage of our business!!As the big farms get sliced, diced,and auctioned off in 10 acre "mini-farms" these folks get some cows, goats, chickens, horses and so on and are the backbone of our business.They fence, fertilize,feed and seed, and come to us for advice. We love 'em!Nobody hates to see a big farm get cut up worse than me, and ours aint goin nowhere, but these folks deserve a High Five. they try real hard.Some make it in the country some don't,but I see them put forth a real effort.And my foregoing statement has nothing to do with them greasin' my palm. I get enjoyment helping people and feel flattered that they come to us for help and advice.And yes, their day job supports their addiction.

Crowderfarms":nly9oecn said:
Thank the Good Lord for the Hobby Farmer!! Being in the feed and farm supply business, they make up a large percentage of our business!!As the big farms get sliced, diced,and auctioned off in 10 acre "mini-farms" these folks get some cows, goats, chickens, horses and so on and are the backbone of our business.They fence, fertilize,feed and seed, and come to us for advice. We love 'em!Nobody hates to see a big farm get cut up worse than me, and ours aint goin nowhere, but these folks deserve a High Five. they try real hard.Some make it in the country some don't,but I see them put forth a real effort.And my foregoing statement has nothing to do with them greasin' my palm. I get enjoyment helping people and feel flattered that they come to us for help and advice.And yes, their day job supports their addiction.

Well said

dun

Mr. Dun
From a Guru like you, I really appreciate the compliment. I watched your posts for a long time before registering, and believe me your advice has always helped me. Glad this site is here. It's about all of us helping each other. rare thing these days. thanks again. P.C.

Latest posts