hobbles on heifer - help!

Help Support CattleToday:

I was just thinking about your question some more...I think that she was without a calf 3 days. 2 of which we milked her (we didn't get the calf untill the evening of the third day.)

cowmomma":3oz5nppo said:
I was just thinking about your question some more...I think that she was without a calf 3 days. 2 of which we milked her (we didn't get the calf untill the evening of the third day.)

By now she should have mothered up with the calf. It depends on how much you want to mess with her. I vote salebarn with the both of them.

dun

You are persistant, I have to say. I would contact the officers in charge of the loan program and explain the situation, and see what they advise. Surely, they are ag people and will understand that you cannot keep forcing this heifer to let her calf nurse.
Now, on the other side, it just seems that she SHOULD accept this calf. You sure have put enough time in it.
Some cattle are just not motherly. But, maybe if she has a normal delivery next time, she may love her baby.
You have to decide if you can afford to keep her around that long without an income - if she won't raise this calf.
By the way, you might try pouring molasses on the calf. She should LICK it off. Once a cow LICKS the calf, they usually start accepting it. :shock: maybe - hopefully.

:D :lol: :D :lol: :cboy: :D

VERY HAPPY!

went out and found calf nursing all by himself!

she's still not too thrilled with the whole idea but she's not kicking as hard and he is being persistant enough to follow her when she walks away....so happy not to have to micromanage this situation as much any more

I will leave them in the pen for another week to make sure that everything still goes well before letting them back into their paddok.

Thanks everyybody for all the wisdom and help!

:D :lol: :heart: :cboy: