History of cattle diseases

Help Support CattleToday:

LottieG":1brd2eg0 said:
What cattle diseases were known in 1860-1870?

Not to be rude, but you can go to google as easily as any of us. None of us were alive in 1860, so we have no special knowledge. If after you use Google, you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

LottieG":1n5hgj0u said:

HollowHorn and HollowTail would be my first two guesses. Have a neighbor who still treats hollowtail by splitting the tail and pouring in salt.
Ignorance, sheer stupidity. :roll:

MikeC":nn936e5m said:
LottieG":nn936e5m said:

HollowHorn and HollowTail would be my first two guesses. Have a neighbor who still treats hollowtail by splitting the tail and pouring in salt.
Ignorance, sheer stupidity. :roll:
Mike,
Didn't know anyone around other than me that remembered those two diseases.

Some combine them into one, called hollow belly.

yes they are real and they do treat emm by splitting the tail open an pouring a good dose of salt in them an wrapp emm up scott

Ryder, The old folks would separate the cow and the calf at night so they would have some milk to drink the next day. With all the milk the cow was producing, she had a serious calcium defiency and would actually deplete her own bones of calcium for the milk production. The bones in the tail would be the first to go.

We might have given our ages away, having heard of this. ;-)

MikeC":38vmxgb2 said:
Ryder, The old folks would separate the cow and the calf at night so they would have some milk to drink the next day. With all the milk the cow was producing, she had a serious calcium defiency and would actually deplete her own bones of calcium for the milk production. The bones in the tail would be the first to go.

We might have given our ages away, having heard of this. ;-)
And don't forget about boring a hole in that horn to relieve the pressure that had built up.

Age-We just heard about it from the old timers, never actually saw it-right :roll: :roll:

Latest posts