History, Culture, and Tradition

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Since the ranch has such a strong history involving the local Indian tribes- having been right on the trail they traveled on their trips back and forth to Wood Mountain to get Kinnikinnick ingredients- and was the trail Sitting Bull and his band took to Canada in order to escape General Miles after the Custer battle- I like to keep up with the local native culture... So today I took two of the granddaughters over to the Red Bottom celebration... This is a pow-wow put on by the Red Bottom Clan of the Assiniboine Tribe...

I hope the kids can grow up learning this history and how so much this area of the country developed around or is affected by this culture...

Not very many dancers or audience this year--altho hopefully many more will show up for the nighttime festivities (about my bedtime and then go all night long)... But they did have 2 drums going and some dancing all afternoon... They almost didn't hold the celebration this year (only decided last week to go ahead) as they hadn't raised enough money (or someone stole it is the story) - so many did not plan on coming..

To me its somewhat sad to see some of the old culture and tradition dying... I can remember years when hundreds flocked to these celebrations- and the whole campground was full of tipi's-- today there was not one single tipi, having been replaced by modern tents bought from Cabellos or Gander Mountain or campers or motorhomes... :(

But I did snap a few pictures of some of the dancers...

Granddaughters Pidge and Chezney got to meet cousins Jasmine and Jersey- who had been dancing up a storm and had on such pretty dress's I had to get a picture of them...

Old Timer :tiphat: that last picture may be the best photo I have seen posted here since I joined. Good on ya!

Oldtimer great photos I am saddened that there were not many people there. My kids want to start dancing in our annual pow wow and this year my emphasis will be too let them go out there and see what its all about and talk to some of my family who still dance in our pow wows. I stopped when I became a young adult. I may pick it back up since my kids are interested.

skyhightree1":3eljgxpb said:
Oldtimer great photos I am saddened that there were not many people there. My kids want to start dancing in our annual pow wow and this year my emphasis will be too let them go out there and see what its all about and talk to some of my family who still dance in our pow wows. I stopped when I became a young adult. I may pick it back up since my kids are interested.

I think several factors came into play for the reason not many there.... First off- up until Wednesday they were telling everyone it was cancelled- so many of the folks from the other reservations never made arrangements to come... And then it just so happens they were having a rodeo in Poplar at the other end of the reservation today too... Hopefully things will work out better for them next year... The best thing is these two grandkids loved it- learned a little about Indian culture- and are ready to travel with Grandpa on some more adventures... ;-)

Oldtimer":2hv5wgwo said:
skyhightree1":2hv5wgwo said:

I think several factors came into play for the reason not many there.... First off- up until Wednesday they were telling everyone it was cancelled- so many of the folks from the other reservations never made arrangements to come... And then it just so happens they were having a rodeo in Poplar at the other end of the reservation today too... Hopefully things will work out better for them next year... The best thing is these two grandkids loved it- learned a little about Indian culture- and are ready to travel with Grandpa on some more adventures... ;-)

That's great you had a good time with your grandkids I like hearing that. It is also great you had fun learning about native culture I am native and still learn something I don't know by listening to my older relatives or any elder. I understand why not many in the crowd now hopefully next year will be great. I posted this in another forum but this is where I go every year. It is the tribe I belong too.

http://nc-cherokee.com/

http://media.visitnc.com/news/eastern-b ... w-july-4-6

Jun. 18, 2014

CHEROKEE, N.C. — For almost four decades, the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians has hosted its annual Pow Wow on the Qualla Boundary and this year's promises to be the best ever.

This year's event, July 4-6, features world-champion dancers and drums competing for prizes. Vendors from across the country will offer food and arts and crafts items. The Pow Wow attracts thousands of visitors each year from all over the world.

Principal Chief Michell Hicks said, "Every summer we welcome dancers from around the country and Canada to join us for our annual Pow Wow and we are pleased to offer more than $60,000 in prize money for competition. We also welcome visitors to join us for this special event and to learn about contemporary Native culture."

Dance competitions are open to participants in five groups and several categories including Traditional, Grass, Fancy, Straight, Jingle and Buckskin. There will also be Northern and Southern Singing prizes and a Hand Drum special. Age groups include "Golden Age" contestants (age 50+), men and women (age 18-49), teens (13-17), Junior (6-12), and tiny tots (under age 5). Specials include Men's Fancy and Straight, Women's Jingle, Old Style Fancy Shawl, Cowboy/girl and two Junior specials.

The Pow Wow opens at the Acquoni Expo Center (formerly Cherokee High School) Friday, July 4, at 5 p.m. with a grand entry at 7 p.m. and a fireworks show at 10:00 p.m. The event begins Saturday, July 5 at 10 a.m. and grand entry at 1 p.m. and 7 a.m., and Sunday, July 6, at gates open at noon with grand entry at 1 p.m. Admission is $10 per day with a weekend pass for $25.

Head staff includes Emcee Denis Bowen, Arena Director Gabe Bullock, Head Dance Judge Will Tushka and Head Singing Judge John Toineeta.

For more information visit http://visitcherokeenc.com/events/detai ... c1zSj.dpuf

###

It is wonderful that you are spending quality time with your grandchildren to teach them about Native American culture. That is a beautiful picture of the children. Thanks for sharing.

Possibly a casualty of the internet..

Why should I go if I can watch it on YouTube some might ask. Human connection and real world experiences are sadly being displaced by the internet.

I wish I was close enough to go.

I once rode two days to go to a Sun Dance.

Latest posts