Hill Creek adding New Gelbvieh Cattle herd

Help Support CattleToday:

lazy ace":1wewxydj said:
Hill creek people I will pm you some phone numbers of some contacts in North and South Dakota. It is extremely dry in this area and some breeders may be willing to sell some a little quicker, plus these people have been in the business a long time and have cattle that pay their own way.

have a good one

lazy ace
Sounds like a good place to buy, but want to see pictures of the catle first. I want good quality cattle with some frame. Thanks and if you can get any pictures of these cattle, let me know. :cboy:

mnmtranching":cjoj5bto said:
Hill Creek. Then you won't have Gelbvieh [Yellow cattle] :shock:

You will have Schwarzvieh [Black Cattle] :eek:

So how could you call black cattle yellow? Like if we turned our black angus yellow, would we still call them Black Angus? I don't think so! :roll:

Just giving a little crap, Gelbvieh are good cattle an I wish you good luck with them. ;-)

mnmt
Thanks for the jokes. We all need to joke around a lot more than what we do now. Also, maybe sometime down teh road you can come looking to me for a good herd bull. :cboy:

Chris H":o9742iup said:
What is your intended goal for adding a second breed? Unless you have things working smoothly with your first breed then adding a second breed only complicates things.

We have a winner.

Without clear cut goals as to where you are heading, how will you know when you get there?

I am not shock nor impressed. I am just waiting for the "who is your favorite Gelbvieh bull" posts. :roll:

MD

redfornow":3b57t8rs said:
Chris H":3b57t8rs said:
What is your intended goal for adding a second breed? Unless you have things working smoothly with your first breed then adding a second breed only complicates things.

We have a winner.

Without clear cut goals as to where you are heading, how will you know when you get there?

I am not shock nor impressed. I am just waiting for the "who is your favorite Gelbvieh bull" posts. :roll:

MD
Well, I have to learn about the herd sires and I kind of know the EPDs, but I am looking at a bull named Atlas? Sounds like everybody is using him and I looked him up and he is a good growth bull with a moderate birthweight. So, what are you saying, I have set my goals for my new operation, selling bulls, heifers, and cows down the road in the near future. I also plan on having a sale in about another 5 to 10 years hopefully. You always have to shoot for the moon, and if you miss, you will land within the stars. Remember that quote and take it to heart. :cboy:

Hill

Here is a quote for you to take to heart. Memorize it, it will change your life.

"the man who chases two rabbits catches neither"

I think that both answers your question and gives you alittle something to ponder.

MD

redfornow":1o3dl6m4 said:
Hill

Here is a quote for you to take to heart. Memorize it, it will change your life.

"the man who chases two rabbits catches neither"

I think that both answers your question and gives you alittle something to ponder.

MD
That is a fantastic quote. I will remember that one for sure. Thanks for the heads up. :cboy:

I am not for sure about the Gelbveih herd, but Beartooth sold the Angus herd last year. The people that own Montana Silversmith's bought the ranch and were going to run some of the old Beartooth Angus. As for the Gelbveih herd, I am not sure. You might try to get ahold of someone back there to make sure they have any left.

ENNOT":1uv8f98r said:
I am not for sure about the Gelbveih herd, but Beartooth sold the Angus herd last year. The people that own Montana Silversmith's bought the ranch and were going to run some of the old Beartooth Angus. As for the Gelbveih herd, I am not sure. You might try to get ahold of someone back there to make sure they have any left.
Thanks for letting me know about Beartooth Ranch. :cboy:

A lot of Hereford breeders are adding a second breed. Deshazer added a Red Angus herd. Randy Owen added a Black Angus herd. So did EE (a long time ago). The Debters will have some Black Angus bulls and females at their fall sale. Hirsche also sells both breeds and I "think" Harper does too. Knoll Crest sells Angus, Herefords, Gelbviehs, composites, and who knows what else. Dr Ritchie has been predicting that seedstock producers were going to begin to offer multiple breeds to their customers. I don't know enough about Hill's operation to know whether he is prepared for a second breed or not; but in theory 2 breeds is probably the way to go for larger breeders. I probably would have gone with the more conventional Hereford and Black Angus pairing; but black Gelbviehs offer more raw pounds and would still generally pass for CAB when crossed with a Herf. IF I was a multi-multi millionaire (not likely) and wanted to spend it getting in the seedstock biz in a big way, 2 or 3 breeds DOES give the customers that "one stop" shopping advantage.

If you want to help your neighboors so bad, have them to come down to North Carolina and gets some Limousin bulls that will put some real muscle and thickness into those calf crops. As for the Gelbvieh, I dont know many people rich enough to afford to keep them feed and in body condition when they are nursing calves. You cant hardly give a Gelbvieh away here in NC. By the way , I like the post about the chasing the rabbit.

Howard Bros. Farms, LLC
Home of JCL Full Force and BGRT Proper Choice

Hill Creek Farm":tjy8xt29 said:
redfornow":tjy8xt29 said:
Chris H":tjy8xt29 said:

We have a winner.

MD
Well, I have to learn about the herd sires and I kind of know the EPDs, but I am looking at a bull named Atlas? Sounds like everybody is using him and I looked him up and he is a good growth bull with a moderate birthweight. So, what are you saying, I have set my goals for my new operation, selling bulls, heifers, and cows down the road in the near future. I also plan on having a sale in about another 5 to 10 years hopefully. You always have to shoot for the moon, and if you miss, you will land within the stars. Remember that quote and take it to heart. :cboy:

You can sell bulls, heifers, cows out of any breed, be more specific in your goals. You mentioned being able to offer neighbors a breed not commonly used right now. Ask yourself, 'why isn't that breed used'? Will you be able to market bulls at prices they can afford? Have you established yourself with your neighbors as someone who does a good job raising cattle? You won't be able to sell anything to your neighbors if you're just brokering embryoes and semen; unless they're also seedstock producers.

Chris H":vmlc15wm said:
Hill Creek Farm":vmlc15wm said:
redfornow":vmlc15wm said:
Chris H":vmlc15wm said:

We have a winner.

MD

You can sell bulls, heifers, cows out of any breed, be more specific in your goals. You mentioned being able to offer neighbors a breed not commonly used right now. Ask yourself, 'why isn't that breed used'? Will you be able to market bulls at prices they can afford? Have you established yourself with your neighbors as someone who does a good job raising cattle? You won't be able to sell anything to your neighbors if you're just brokering embryoes and semen; unless they're also seedstock producers.
Well, good questions and I have the answers. One, my neighbors and other breeders in my community have been buying Hereford bulls from me, but asked if I have ever thought about raising Black cattle. So, I thought that if they are willing to come to me and ask me about black cattle and they stated that they woul dbuy the bulls from me and me inly when bulls were available, then that gives me pretty good confidence in my neighbors that they are going to back me on taking on this new breed. I told some breeders already that have been buying some good Hereford bulls from me and they are very excited about the new breed and that they can't wait to see the black ones in my pastures. I think that I have figured to sell bulls from $2250 up to $3000. Just depends on what you are looking for. Take care Chris! How are things in Ohio? Sold 30 units of Red Oak semen to Tony Staples, KY., Bruce Everhart, IN., and some people from Indiana named Kelly. Very excited about Red Oaks future. Semen is available on Red Oak. :cboy:

polledbull":3ig0kkrm said:
If you want to help your neighboors so bad, have them to come down to North Carolina and gets some Limousin bulls that will put some real muscle and thickness into those calf crops. As for the Gelbvieh, I dont know many people rich enough to afford to keep them feed and in body condition when they are nursing calves. You cant hardly give a Gelbvieh away here in NC. By the way , I like the post about the chasing the rabbit.

Howard Bros. Farms, LLC
Home of JCL Full Force and BGRT Proper Choice
And I like the post about chasing the rabbit as well. You know, at one time I really liked Limos, but chose not to go down that road. I went and looked at some Gelbviehs and I just got a good feeling that these cattle need to be introduced and advertised more like the Angus and Hereford breeds are. Gelbvieh are very thick cattle, and so are the limos, but I am in favor of the Gelbvieh cattle. Take care Darryl. :cboy:

Hill Creek,

We've been raising Gelbviehs for over ten years and are very pleased with their fertility, growth, disposition, etc. We culled pretty hard early on and the resulting cattle have been easy keepers who don't demand a lot of groceries like an earlier post indicated; though there are plenty of cows in all breeds that require lots of feed to keep in condition.

We've had a handful of Atlas sired calves and they have been very inconsistent in quality...some really good and some pretty poor. I've heard similar comments from other breeders. There are plenty of other Gelbvieh bulls that I think you'll be more pleased with.

By the way, the last I heard Beartooth was out of the purebred cattle business.

As you begin your Gelbvieh journey, take time to get to know the breeders that you are interested in buying cattle from. Make sure that they have similar goals and raise their cattle similar to the way that you do (there are lots of pretty cattle in some of those pastures that get lots of grain at night after the prospective customer drives away).

Also, don't get caught up into thinking that someone is a good breeder just because they have fancy ads in the breed magazine, have a fancy farm (most likely made their money in something other than cattle), have won lots of shows, or are consigning cattle to a state sale (some of the worst cattle I've ever owned were bought early on in state organized consignment sales). Go to the farm, get to know the breeder, see the sire and dam of the cattle you are considering buying, etc.

Just my thoughts.

UG":1k5s3x4f said:
Hill Creek,

We've been raising Gelbviehs for over ten years and are very pleased with their fertility, growth, disposition, etc. We culled pretty hard early on and the resulting cattle have been easy keepers who don't demand a lot of groceries like an earlier post indicated; though there are plenty of cows in all breeds that require lots of feed to keep in condition.

We've had a handful of Atlas sired calves and they have been very inconsistent in quality...some really good and some pretty poor. I've heard similar comments from other breeders. There are plenty of other Gelbvieh bulls that I think you'll be more pleased with.

By the way, the last I heard Beartooth was out of the purebred cattle business.

As you begin your Gelbvieh journey, take time to get to know the breeders that you are interested in buying cattle from. Make sure that they have similar goals and raise their cattle similar to the way that you do (there are lots of pretty cattle in some of those pastures that get lots of grain at night after the prospective customer drives away).

Also, don't get caught up into thinking that someone is a good breeder just because they have fancy ads in the breed magazine, have a fancy farm (most likely made their money in something other than cattle), have won lots of shows, or are consigning cattle to a state sale (some of the worst cattle I've ever owned were bought early on in state organized consignment sales). Go to the farm, get to know the breeder, see the sire and dam of the cattle you are considering buying, etc.

Just my thoughts.
UG, thanks and I will remember all this. I am thinking about going to the Flying H Ranch Sale in I think November in NC? Anyway, I have already emailed them and told them that I wanted a catalog. :cboy:

Latest posts