Hill Creek adding New Gelbvieh Cattle herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Hill Creek Farm

Reaction score
I am happy to tell you all that I am going to be adding some Gelbvieh cattle to my operation. I am looking at Beartooth Ranch in Montana and Knoll Crest Farm for cattle and herd bulls. Can you all believe that I am turning a new leaf and heading down this path? Some people around here where I live and people I go to church with, can't believe I am adding a Registered Gelbvieh herd. I am very excited. Looking to buy about 15 good registered brood cows and a good solid herd bull. What do you all think? :cboy:

Hill Creek Farm":3h6awl0x said:
I am happy to tell you all that I am going to be adding some Gelbvieh cattle to my operation. I am looking at Beartooth Ranch in Montana and Knoll Crest Farm for cattle and herd bulls. Can you all believe that I am turning a new leaf and heading down this path? Some people around here where I live and people I go to church with, can't believe I am adding a Registered Gelbvieh herd. I am very excited. Looking to buy about 15 good registered brood cows and a good solid herd bull. What do you all think? :cboy:

I think you are still fickle, and have money to burn.. :p ..but, a commerical cross herd will always help support the registered end. So this venture may help you the most out of anything you are doing...assuming you don't spend an arm and leg to get it up and running. ;-) Good Luck

1848":3ae7o9c5 said:
Hill Creek Farm":3ae7o9c5 said:

I think you are still fickle, and have money to burn.. :p ..but, a commerical cross herd will always help support the registered end. So this venture may help you the most out of anything you are doing...assuming you don't spend an arm and leg to get it up and running. ;-) Good Luck
No, just buying good registered cattle. Looking at buying around 10 to possibly 15 head of cattle, bred of course, then buying a good bull to breed them to next Spring at the Beartooth Ranch bull sale or at the Knoll Crest Farms bull sale. :cboy:

I went to a Beartooth sale once. I got to meet Mel Gibson. They had some good cattle.
Did Mel sell the ranch a while back? I think I heard he did but I don't know who to.

Ned Jr.":2ecqzekh said:
Did Mel sell the ranch a while back? I think I heard he did but I don't know who to.

Mel did sell the ranch- I think I heard the people that were managing it for him bought it- but not sure on that...

I guess Mel was really liked down in that country by the locals- considered himself someone that put his pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else.....

Oldtimer":dv0g54hv said:
Ned Jr.":dv0g54hv said:

Mel did sell the ranch- I think I heard the people that were managing it for him bought it- but not sure on that...

I guess Mel was really liked down in that country by the locals- considered himself someone that put his pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else.....
There was a bull from Beartooth Ranch here in Virginia at North American Breeders getting collected and he was the thickest bull I have ever seen before. Big frame and lots of guts along with a great big top and big hindquarters. I can't remember what this bulls name was though. Beartooth use to have a registered Hereford herd as well. :cboy:

Hill Creek Farm":g9p8bksn said:

I think you should forget buying the bull and start an agressive AI program.

Remember Gelb is yellow and vieh is cattle [German].

YELLOW CATTLE

Don't try to make them black. :roll:

mnmt

You won't regret the decision. Go to http://www.gelbviehworld.org You have Hill and Dale farms and Hickory Hill farms, Little Windy Hills farm which had the high selling bull in the Gilbvieh breed at denver a couple of years ago. They are all in your area.

Frankie":7rjpz09e said:
Hill Creek Farm":7rjpz09e said:

I think you should forget buying the bull and start an agressive AI program.
There is good possibility that I amy do that, but first I need to find some good AI buls to use. Take care. :cboy:

bufordall":10abwqam said:
You won't regret the decision. Go to http://www.gelbviehworld.org You have Hill and Dale farms and Hickory Hill farms, Little Windy Hills farm which had the high selling bull in the Gilbvieh breed at denver a couple of years ago. They are all in your area.
The address doesn't work. Do you have the websites that these breeders have? Thanks and take care. :cboy:

Brandonm2":1z0x313q said:
mnmtranching":1z0x313q said:
Remember Gelb is yellow and vieh is cattle [German].

YELLOW CATTLE

Don't try to make them black. :roll:

mnmt

Hill just is buying his Gelbviehs. I think the decision to turn the breed black was made a decade ago.
http://agja.smugmug.com/gallery/1563228/1
Black Gelbviehs are a whole lot easier to find than the old red ones.
Very nice page. I liked looking at all of the Gelbvieh cattle that the Jrs. showed. :cboy:

What is your intended goal for adding a second breed? Unless you have things working smoothly with your first breed then adding a second breed only complicates things.

Hey there hill Creek, when you get serious about spending money, instead of just playing this purebred numbers game, send me a PM.

Have a neighbor with some experience with those BT Gelbvieh bulls, big hard-keping ba$tards.

Good luck, and have fun spending money on feed to keep them in shape.

If you need some vicarious link to MEl Gibson, then go ahead and do it.

mtnman

Hill creek people I will pm you some phone numbers of some contacts in North and South Dakota. It is extremely dry in this area and some breeders may be willing to sell some a little quicker, plus these people have been in the business a long time and have cattle that pay their own way.

have a good one

lazy ace

Hill Creek. Then you won't have Gelbvieh [Yellow cattle] :shock:

You will have Schwarzvieh [Black Cattle] :eek:

So how could you call black cattle yellow? Like if we turned our black angus yellow, would we still call them Black Angus? I don't think so! :roll:

Just giving a little crap, Gelbvieh are good cattle an I wish you good luck with them. ;-)

mnmt

Chris H":mi2dvffo said:
What is your intended goal for adding a second breed? Unless you have things working smoothly with your first breed then adding a second breed only complicates things.
Well, right now I want to add a different type of breed to are county. Mostly everything is black around here and if I add the Gelbvieh line, black that is, then these commercial seedstock producers way want to start looking at the Gelbvieh and stray away from the Angus. I am not wanting to hurt the Angus business, but I just want to give my community farmers that have been buying Angus bulls for so long a variety now and a choice to choose between the Gelbvieh or the Angus. Looked at some cattle on the internet today from a ranch in Kansas named CKS Gelbvieh and plan on attending a Gelbvieh sale in North Carolina this Fall. Flying H Ranch or Farm is the name if this palce. Take care. :cboy:

mtnman":1ibbg6e4 said:
Hey there hill Creek, when you get serious about spending money, instead of just playing this purebred numbers game, send me a PM.

Have a neighbor with some experience with those BT Gelbvieh bulls, big hard-keping ba$tards.

Good luck, and have fun spending money on feed to keep them in shape.

If you need some vicarious link to MEl Gibson, then go ahead and do it.

mtnman
You don't think that the Beartooth cattle are very good cattle? What is the problem with Beartooth cattle? Keep me posted on what your neighbor knows about them. I am also looking at Knoll Crest Farm for cows and herd bulls.

Latest posts