Highs and lows of hobby farming

Help Support CattleToday:

f150fatboy

Reaction score
It all started Sunday around 1 pm. Hopped on the Atv to check the cows, had one looking like she was about to calve. Called the wife, she said yes that particular cow should calve this week. Went back to the house and started watching the race. Went back out around around 2 and cow was picking, went back to the house, continued watching race. Then major thunderstorm until around 3:30, checked cows again, new bull calf! Went back to house, wife went back with me to check calf. All is good! Back to house, I finished watching race, wife watched something else. Around 5 I went to check cows again, wife wanted to stay at house and check calf we are weening in barn lot. When I got back to the house, wife was laying face first in grass. I jumped off ATV and ran over to see what the heck just happened. She was walking down a hill with a bucket of feed, slipped in wet grass and hurt her ankle. I wanted to take her to the ER, but she wouldn't have it. Fast forward this morning, she couldn't walk be herself and let me take her to the Dr. After x-rays, she is scheduled for surgery next week. :( Broken Ankle! Please keep her in your prayers. Guess you never know what is going to happen on a hobby farm.

Fatboy I feel your pain! Two weeks and 1 hour ago my wife was stepped on by a fresh heifer. Fractured tibia plateau and stretched acl. You need to take the best care of her as you can.

My wife was fit to be tied. Got a little angry actually :hide:

Not sure of your situation but it can be overwhelming .

Best of luck to you and your wife.

Scott

Oh man, that wasn't how I thought that story was going to go! Hope she heals quick and well!

Broke my ankle in HS on a kick off return and it still gives me fits so many ligaments
and little bones to heal.
Will blowout and sprain really easy if I step wrong. Arthur moved in as well.
I know surgery has improved I hope she isn't plagued with issues.

Congrats on the bull calf and Good luck with the broken ankle--it takes a while to heal-I hope your cookin, cleanin' and washing skills are up to the task.

Sorry to hear about that. We never know what each day will bring. That's extra tough it happened this time of year too. Praying she will recover quickly. Hope new calf is doing good.

Best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery.
I have had a few breaks myself and bone pain is one of the worst.

So sorry to read about your wife's accident. We all have our ups and downs. I will keep her in my prayers.

Thanks everybody for all the prayers and well wishes. My Mom and the neighbors have taken over the cooking duties so far. Wife is still in a lot of pain, but is finally sleeping. Bull calf is doing fine too. Thanks again!

Good luck to your wife. My wife destroyed her ankle in a car wreck back in December had to have surgery in early January. She was off her feet for 3 months finally got up in April. Had another surgery 2 weeks ago. She is limping around can't do much. Go back to the doc on Thursday to see how it is going. They said she won't be able to stand or work full time until September, and will probably have swelling in her foot an ankle for 18 months after the surgery.

Latest posts