Highland bull, what do you think?

Help Support CattleToday:

Gliderider":1m2ff3dn said:
This may be a stupid question, but how would I keep it stored? Would I just store it in my freezer, or would that not be cold enough?
The shipping container on the Thorbadin website was $125, I wonder if that includes shipping. I'll have to ask. I may just buy a few extra if I can store it. How many straws per cow should I definately use though?
Also the calves are about 3 weeks old right now. When should I expect them to come back in? So I know when to start looking. They are still new to us so I watch them alot right now anyway. They don't do much of anything right now, except graze and lay around. :p The most movement I see out of them is at feeding time, then they come running. Quite scary actually, to see two big cows, with huge horns, running toward you. :shock:
It has to be stored in a semen tank in liquid nitrogen, I believe it is -300 degrees. They will ship them in the shipping container to whoever holds the nitrogen tank then they will switch them. There is alot of info on the net on Heat detection and A.I. I would probly buy at least 3 straws per cow some cows only show heat signs at night so catching them is the hard part.It,s hard to tell when they will come in, I would start watching. Dun and some of the others know alot about A.I. I would ask them some specifics,I,m just learning myself. I know how the horn thing goes mine get a little wound up at feeding time also just have to watch so you're not in the middle :D

Orerancher":tqfu2kif said:
semen from white highlands is pretty easy to find...

Have you joined the AHCA yet?

I haven't sent in the dues yet, but I've got the info from them and have filled out the paperwork. They are pretty strict when it comes to registering animals. I had no idea. Next we'll have to go out and get a tattoo gun and accessories. We've got the two heifers to do before they get too big.

Orerancher":3kfg2zvf said:
semen from white highlands is pretty easy to find...

Have you joined the AHCA yet?
True.

Semen from a GOOD white highland? Not so easy!

People that raise Highlands will often keep a white Highland based on color only. Kind of reminds you of the way some people will keep a black bull/cow from a none black breed just for color. ( oops did I say Hereford? :shock: ). White is not as common in good Highlands so be careful in your selection.

The world is awash in mediocre Highland bulls...

So you need to be careful and do your homework befor buying any semen

But if all you want is to do is breed a couple of cows to produce calves for your own table. Semen is easy to find

don't know about the dark ages.
Just don't see their place in the commercial cattle industry.
if someone wants them for freezer beef that is fine.

Diehard40":2ottxse0 said:

Commercial cattle link: http://www.thorbardinranch.com/

You are right they are not the first pick for most people when raising commercial cattle. Depending on your land and program a good F1 highland cross cow bred to a terminal sire can give you a low cost, low imput, hardy cow herd with calves that do well at the sale barn. Thorbardin Ranch is one example of the way Highlands can be good commercial cattle. The F1 highlands are calmer, cost less to keep, and have alot less problems, then any of my Char cross cows were or did. Highlands are not for everyones program but they have come a long way from just being "pasture ornaments".

S.R.R.":2mzcqvjs said:
Diehard40":2mzcqvjs said:

You are right they are not the first pick for most people when raising commercial cattle. Depending on your land and program a good F1 highland cross cow bred to a terminal sire can give you a low cost, low imput, hardy cow herd with calves that do well at the sale barn. Thorbardin Ranch is one example of the way Highlands can be good commercial cattle. The F1 highlands are calmer, cost less to keep, and have alot less problems, then any of my Char cross cows were or did. Highlands are not for everyones program but they have come a long way from just being "pasture ornaments".

Great information there S.R.R. Not to mention that the highland hides bring in on average $1,000 each, plus the skulls sell for around $200 each too. So that's $1,200 above and beyond the meat price. Meat that is healthier and lower in fat is in demand now, people are more health consious(sp?) and are looking for healthier alternatives. With highlands I can plug into that niche. Looking good in the pasture is just a bonus! :D

Gliderider":3gc6e45t said:
S.R.R.":3gc6e45t said:
Diehard40":3gc6e45t said:

Great information there S.R.R. Not to mention that the highland hides bring in on average $1,000 each, plus the skulls sell for around $200 each too. So that's $1,200 above and beyond the meat price. Meat that is healthier and lower in fat is in demand now, people are more health consious(sp?) and are looking for healthier alternatives. With highlands I can plug into that niche. Looking good in the pasture is just a bonus! :D

Are you skinning them before you haul them to the salebarn.

Caustic:Are you skinning them before you haul them to the salebarn.

They have a zipper under the belly Caustic. :p

You need to get out of Texas more often. :lol: :lol:

Caustic Burno":3o0rapu0 said:
Gliderider":3o0rapu0 said:
S.R.R.":3o0rapu0 said:
Diehard40":3o0rapu0 said:

I have found it best to leave the hide on until after the sale. If not, you run the risk of some dang PETA pusher yelling about the cow being to cold without its hair, and how could you make an animal go naked like that, ect.ect. What is this world coming to eh? :roll: .

Caustic Burno":noxyo0le said:
Gliderider":noxyo0le said:
S.R.R.":noxyo0le said:
Diehard40":noxyo0le said:

Well I had planned on it, ;-) but I guess not, since I don't want to get on the wrong side of PETA. The skulls are worth more without the bullet holes! Just trying to figure out how to tell the guys at the slaughterhouse that! :p

Great information there S.R.R. Not to mention that the highland hides bring in on average $1,000 each, plus the skulls sell for around $200 each too. So that's $1,200 above and beyond the meat price. Meat that is healthier and lower in fat is in demand now, people are more health consious(sp?) and are looking for healthier alternatives. With highlands I can plug into that niche. Looking good in the pasture is just a bonus!

Gliderider
thanks you just made my point when you get more for the hide and head then the meat they are pasture ornaments not beef cattle. :lol:

Latest posts