Highland bull, what do you think?

Help Support CattleToday:

Diehard40":2sow8c5q said:
Gliderider
thanks you just made my point when you get more for the hide and head then the meat they are pasture ornaments not beef cattle. :lol:

LOL..Well I don't think purebred highlands are suitable for large commercial producers, BUT they are more than pasture ornaments.

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/highland_steaks.htm
What is Highland Premium Beef?
It is beef that comes from Highland cattle that is superior in flavor, tenderness and cooking. Highland is a distinct breed of cattle that are generally smaller than Angus and unique in their looks because of their long hair and horns. It is one of the oldest purebred cattle breeds in the world, extremely hardy and first developed on the cold north Atlantic coast of Scotland.
Why are Highland cows not used as a high growth - high performance cattle breed?
Do you remember the lyrics from the great 60's play Hair? "Long haired freaky people need not apply"? Highland cows have the same problem.
Their long hair and horns make them unsuitable for commercial operation. What rancher wants to deal with horns these days? They are more dangerous to work around and when the cattle fight, they can cause all kinds of problems. Besides taking up too much room at the feed trough at a commercial feedlots, the slaughter houses don't want to deal with them because they slow down production.
And what about that long hair. In a modern feedlot, the long hair gathers large mud balls so cattle buyers complain and discount their prices. Cattle ranchers quickly figure out it's easier to switch to a different breed if they want to make more money.
How does Highland Premium Beef compare to "choice" or "prime" graded beef?
According to Jon Cordonier of Great West Cattle Company, the butcher at the USDA slaughtering facility they use gives them verbal grades that amount to 50/50 between choice and prime. Because they produce only a small number of cows each year, it is too expensive for them to hire a federal USDA grader. What this means they are not able to sell their beef as prime at a much higher price even though 50% of it is likely to be prime.
What are the advantages of raising 300 head of cattle versus 5,000?
It's more personal" says Jon Cordonier " We know our cattle at 300 head. We don't have manure disposal problems, odor problems, etc. We have a very clean feedlot. The other advantage in a small feedlot is we have lower disease problems."

Diehard40":1ma5ylj3 said:
Great information there S.R.R. Not to mention that the highland hides bring in on average $1,000 each, plus the skulls sell for around $200 each too. So that's $1,200 above and beyond the meat price. Meat that is healthier and lower in fat is in demand now, people are more health consious(sp?) and are looking for healthier alternatives. With highlands I can plug into that niche. Looking good in the pasture is just a bonus!

Gliderider
thanks you just made my point when you get more for the hide and head then the meat they are pasture ornaments not beef cattle. :lol:

I see you have still not done any of your own research on Highland beef cattle. When you have the chance a good place to start is on this site http://www.thorbardinranch.com/ and also the Great West Cattle Company. They are not for everyone that is true. They work well for me as 1/2 of a F1 cow. I do sell freezer beef but most of my calves go to the sale barn. As I posted above it works well for me and I am getting the same per pound for my calves as the next guy.

I am still working on getting the hide off the little hairy longhorns. Do they send it back to you UPS after they bought the critter. Do you have to get a notarizied sworn statement you got your hide back. Everything I ever sold hide went with it no charge.

Caustic Burno":33ulq6ss said:
I am still working on getting the hide off the little hairy longhorns. Do they send it back to you UPS after they bought the critter. Do you have to get a notarizied sworn statement you got your hide back. Everything I ever sold hide went with it no charge.

If you have raised a Highland that you want the hide and horns off of you take it to the butcher and pick up the hide and head from their freezer when ready. Most of the good horns come from mature culled cows. Hides often come from a mature animal as well. You then have the cost of the tanner and skull bleach. To get the flesh off a skull wrap the horns good with tin foil then bury it horns out in a manure pile for 3-4 months. It will be clean when you take it out but you still have to bleach it.

Not to mention Iv'e had them angus burgers from Hardees(yuck) That,s why I went with Highland's. :lol: :p :p

RAWCJW":3i9u6xlf said:
Not to mention Iv'e had them angus burgers from Hardees(yuck) That,s why I went with Highland's. :lol: :p :p

That Angus burger at Hardees is giving Angus beef a bad name. I tried one last Christmas on my way to Idaho. It taste like ****. I have had some good Angus steaks though.

S.R.R.":19tbz1ve said:
Caustic Burno":19tbz1ve said:

If you have raised a Highland that you want the hide and horns off of you take it to the butcher and pick up the hide and head from their freezer when ready. Most of the good horns come from mature culled cows. Hides often come from a mature animal as well. You then have the cost of the tanner and skull bleach. To get the flesh off a skull wrap the horns good with tin foil then bury it horns out in a manure pile for 3-4 months. It will be clean when you take it out but you still have to bleach it.

So the hairy little critter is worth no more at the salebarn.
Not to mention you have to find some fool willing to part with his money for a rug and horns.

Caustic Burno":2uluxv1j said:
Not to mention you have to find some fool willing to part with his money for a rug and horns.

No, not purebreds at the sale barn. At the butchers, yes. The meat sells for more per pound than most other beef. I didn't plan on taking any to the sale barn, just the butcher. :D
Crossbreeds do well at the sale barn though.

There's always some fool out there that I can presuade to part with their money. ;-) I live near a fairly large city and city people love to have the country/cowboy theme, a large furry rug or throw would fit in perfectly, don't you think???

Some one brought about three highland cows too the local salebarn last summer talk about being out of place they were suffering pretty bad in that barn and they were in poor shape.cant see putting a animal thats made for a different climite through these southern summers just for ornaments

alacattleman":32u7s1el said:
Some one brought about three highland cows too the local salebarn last summer talk about being out of place they were suffering pretty bad in that barn and they were in poor shape.cant see putting a animal thats made for a different climite through these southern summers just for ornaments
They are extremly adaptable animals, the long hair helps keep them cool as well as warm. Plus they shed out during the really hot summer months. I'm not THAT far south, so I'm not too worried about them.

Caustic Burno":3lmchzre said:
S.R.R.":3lmchzre said:
Caustic Burno":3lmchzre said:

Right if you sell a pure Highland at the sale barn you will be docked for the hair and horns. If you want to make money with Highland beef sell freezer beef and their head and hide. Or use their genetics in a cross. My F1 Highland cross cows are polled, black, and have half the hair of a pure Highland. By useing a thin haired terminal sire I have calves that sell like any other at the sale barn. But I have saved money on the vet bills and up keep of the cows. With a bit of hair they keep better and eat less through the long winter. The hardiness of the Highland keeps sickness and most other problems at bay. I also have yet to pull a calf!!

Gliderider":3s0grnji said:
SRR- I think we might've taught ole' CB something he didn't already know. :shock: ;-)

:lol: :lol: I would not hold my breath. Caustic often likes to play like he's dumb just to see how people will react.

S.R.R.":wfbdfkhb said:
Caustic Burno":wfbdfkhb said:
S.R.R.":wfbdfkhb said:
Caustic Burno":wfbdfkhb said:

Right if you sell a pure Highland at the sale barn you will be docked for the hair and horns. If you want to make money with Highland beef sell freezer beef and their head and hide. Or use their genetics in a cross. My F1 Highland cross cows are polled, black, and have half the hair of a pure Highland. By useing a thin haired terminal sire I have calves that sell like any other at the sale barn. But I have saved money on the vet bills and up keep of the cows. With a bit of hair they keep better and eat less through the long winter. The hardiness of the Highland keeps sickness and most other problems at bay. I also have yet to pull a calf!!

Ah an honest post for a minute I thought Gliderider was Jesse Jackson fixin to have a revival about how they were the only breed from South Texas to the North Pole.

Caustic Burno":9l3vth15 said:
Ah an honest post for a minute I thought Gliderider was Jesse Jackson fixin to have a revival about how they were the only breed from South Texas to the North Pole.

LOL..Whaaat? I am honest. :eek:
Besides, I'm the wrong color, the wrong sex, and waaay to young, to be Jesse Jackson. ;-)

Aren't they the only breed from South TX to the North Pole?
Angus is a brand remember, :roll: and a Limo is a car not a cow. What other breeds are there??? :p ;-)

In reality, purebreds aren't for commercial operations. They fit me (and my tiny operation) perfectly.

I understand that there were originally polled Highlands as well as horned ones. I have thought about crossing some Highlands with the other Scottish range breed the Galloway to get rid of the horns in order to make them easier to handle and transport.

Has anyone heard of this cross?

jaydill":1w9db2d7 said:
It looks like he might be a little sway backed although it doesn't show as much cause he hasn't got his head up. Also could be stronger in his rear.

At 13 I would think most bulls would be a little sway back :D

On another note, what is valuable about the carcass?

BAGTIC":1mlxnv9s said:
I understand that there were originally polled Highlands as well as horned ones. I have thought about crossing some Highlands with the other Scottish range breed the Galloway to get rid of the horns in order to make them easier to handle and transport.

Has anyone heard of this cross?

I haven't heard of the SH/Galloway cross, but that certainly doesn't mean is hasn't been done. I'm new to the cattle game. I know there are several crosses to poll them and get rid of some of the longer hair.

On another note, what is valuable about the carcass?
I can't tell you about carcass stuff, as I'm new to the game. Some of the others like, SRR may be able to tell you more.

Latest posts