Higher Libido in the Bull Is Correlated with Higher Libido in His Bull Calves-Does It Hold True with His Heifers as Well?

Help Support CattleToday:

rocfarm

Reaction score
Understand that a high libido in a bull does not mean he would pass a BSE. But it does mean a good bull who has passed a BSE with high libido will likely breed more cows. Also, a high libido bull tends to reliably pass on his libido to his bull calves.

Does he also pass on higher libido to his heifer calves? Does it even matter? If she only needs to get serviced one to three times to get bred, maybe not important?

I don't know but assuming the high libido bull has big nuts, that is supposed to correlate to early maturing in his heifers which I suppose could mean high libido.

Ken
I read that actual research data one time. Seems that the correlation was that it decreased the days to puberty by about 4 days. This assumption is not 100% when you see the data from past sires with lesser SC and progeny proof.

Sexual dimorphism in a given population of cattle is an indication of high fertility, so masculine bulls will produce masculine/high libido bull calves, and highly fertile "feminine" heifers. https://www.farmprogress.com/management/defining-hormonal-balance-in-cattle.
The article did not say that fertility was a guarantee on the masculine bulls. And it quotes Bonsma and then jumps off the rail to highlight small framed cattle as better. I don't understand why folks cannot read Bonsma and not add words and their own opinions. Bonsma was not intent to create a small type animal. But all of the gurus run with that to ad nauseam.

The best situation is to have multiple bulls in a single pasture. The dominant breeders (not necessarily the most dominant fighters) will have the most calves. The cows that conceive will apparently have adequate libido. Using A.I. and single sire pastures doesn't allow for this. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't quit A.I. and just run all the cows together and turn the bulls out and parenthood test whatever comes out.

The article did not say that fertility was a guarantee on the masculine bulls. And it quotes Bonsma and then jumps off the rail to highlight small framed cattle as better. I don't understand why folks cannot read Bonsma and not add words and their own opinions. Bonsma was not intent to create a small type animal. But all of the gurus run with that to ad nauseam.
Johann worked with prof Bonsma for many years, and was asked to join the team permanently, but chose to return to ranching and consulting on the side. The second article did not paste, but you might find this one interesting - have you watched Johanns' video workshop from Florida? - https://heatherdugmore.co.za/man-cattle-and-veld/

Johann worked with prof Bonsma for many years, and was asked to join the team permanently, but chose to return to ranching and consulting on the side. The second article did not paste, but you might find this one interesting - have you watched Johanns' video workshop from Florida? - https://heatherdugmore.co.za/man-cattle-and-veld/
I've never seen much of his stuff. But when folks jump on the small frame talk I know that it is a variation away from Dr. Bonsma. I just leave it there and let others try that out.

I've never seen much of his stuff. But when folks jump on the small frame talk I know that it is a variation away from Dr. Bonsma. I just leave it there and let others try that out.
The basis of the concept of smaller, more efficient cattle, is the maximise the production in terms of lbs/acre rather than lbs/cow in countries where there is no discrimination against medium framed animals. this works out well for profitability. If you are interested in seeing how this works, here is the workshop link - https://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/show/18906811-sustainable-ranching

The basis of the concept of smaller, more efficient cattle, is the maximise the production in terms of lbs/acre rather than lbs/cow in countries where there is no discrimination against medium framed animals. this works out well for profitability. If you are interested in seeing how this works, here is the workshop link - https://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/show/18906811-sustainable-ranching
I live where small framed cattle are money losers unless you want to do less farming and more meat sales. Meat sales are fine if you want to change professions and can control the options for processing. I do not have the time or interest to do both so I opt for the true Bonsma approach of red meat production in acceptable mature sized animals. Funny thing about the small frame gurus - they are the only ones who can be correct Bonsma types while my medium frame cattle are also Bonsma types. Who is pulling who's leg? If you think I am blowing smoke, go back to the Bonsma info and see his targeted size of animal. It was not small. Partial truth can be as bad as an outright lie. I'm here in the real world and not selling anyone anything as far as cattle management. But I truly understand the valuation of market cattle and what I read.

Johann Z. says, according to the article, that he wound up with a smaller framed, easier fleshing animal because that is what was required to work with the forage resource he had. I didn't see anything in the article about using smaller framed cattle to maximize profit like the small frame gurus preach.

"Where I come from, in the north of Zimbabwe, we would get 1000mms of rain in four months. The grass grew incredibly fast and there was a lot of it but 86% was a very fibrous grass called Sporobolus pyramidalis. while the far more palatable grasses, such as Setaria species were in the minority. There was also severe capping of the soil in the dry season," he explains.

"I had to find a non-selective grazing method to graze down the grass, soften it and break the capping of the soil but at the same time I had to make sure that I maintained good condition and production in the cattle."

Putting animals under pressure

When animals that are used to grazing selectively are put into a system where they are put under pressure to graze non-selectively (to improve the veld) their condition drops.

"To compensate for this I realised I needed a hardy, 250 – 450kgs cow with a higher grass intake relative to its size. Smaller framed cattle with African genetics, such as the Nguni and Angoni are ideal for this," continues Johann.

"I realised my Beefmaster herd needed indigenous blood to achieve this smaller size, hardiness and natural resistance to parasites and disease. I believe in adapted genotypes rather than dipping and dosing, which is not only expensive, it is detrimental to the environment, killing off not only the parasites but also critical ecosystem workers like dung beetles. All we have been doing over the past 100 years is breeding dip-resistant ticks instead of tick-resistant cattle.

He went on to say:

"Successful cattle farming is all about keeping your eyes open, being observant of your own cattle, your own veld and your own wallet to see what works for you. There are so many perceptions dressed up as facts that mislead farmers and block common sense from prevailing. The problem with common sense is that it is not so common," he concludes.

Latest posts