High cost of family pets......

Help Support CattleToday:

wow! but yall got free health care for yerselves right?? just thinkin out loud..no need to go into it too deep. just seems funny is all

dieselbeef":3f62duwg said:
wow! but yall got free health care for yerselves right?? just thinkin out loud..no need to go into it too deep. just seems funny is all

Health care is only free for those on EI or welfare the rest of us pay a crap load of taxes to support those people. But yes health care is available to anyone. I think the whole system is screwed up .We get a break on prescription drugs for people but for pets and livestock they stick it to us, just the opposite in your country, go figure.

In Europe meds for animals and people are cheap, but they pay even more in taxes than us in Canada do. I guess there is no such thing as a perfect system. 8)

hillsdown":1u0o6wfd said:
Unlike livestock medications and vaccines you can not buy small animal meds or vaccines from your vet or feed store here it is illegal. All must be given by a licensed vet to the actual animal. The only thing you can purchase are ointments and mild dewormers and flee/heartworm controls like Revolution.

Wow never heard of a bill that high for a 3 pets. I realize vets are higher than "over the counter" but it's a shame you have to pay that much period......Even though all the shots can be bought her over the counter except the rabies shot, I doubt the whole barrage of shows wouldn't have cost $75 per head had the vet given them.

Revolution almost killed our dog. She started losing weight, got very listless and acted like she had arthritis, hair was ugly and dull..vet couldn't figure it out....My wife realized the only change in her whole routine was that we had switched from Frontline Plus to Revolution...put her back on Frontline Plus and in 30 days she was her old self again, gaining weight, running everywhere...

TexasBred":hb26qlj7 said:
Revolution almost killed our dog. She started losing weight, got very listless and acted like she had arthritis, hair was ugly and dull..vet couldn't figure it out....My wife realized the only change in her whole routine was that we had switched from Frontline Plus to Revolution...put her back on Frontline Plus and in 30 days she was her old self again, gaining weight, running everywhere...

Do vets even dispense Revolution anymore? I didn't think they did...for the very reasons you are describing.

Alice

Alice wrote:
Do vets even dispense Revolution anymore?

I don't know either, our dogs get Defend well at least they did; I don't flee them in the winter and we don't have heart worm here where I live in Central Alberta (not Canada because I know BC and Saskatchewan etc. have had cases). One of the benefit's of cold winters.
Who knows what the "new" drug is now, I will be finding out soon though.

Alice":3jpys4wn said:
TexasBred":3jpys4wn said:

Do vets even dispense Revolution anymore? I didn't think they did...for the very reasons you are describing.

Alice

Alice I really don't know...needless to say I haven't asked for it.. :lol:

TexasBred":334o9rmw said:
Alice":334o9rmw said:
TexasBred":334o9rmw said:

Alice

Alice I really don't know...needless to say I haven't asked for it.. :lol:

Well, yes, I guess that would somewhat go without saying... :lol:

Alice

All other things aside,bless you for takeing them in and takeing care of them. :heart: ..They'll pay you back many times over..

I'm bringing a dog in to get neutered and to get a rabies shot, they said it'll cost about $110.00. How does that compare to rates in other areas?

hillsdown":3pe1axq1 said:
I brought two of three dogs and the Kit Kat in for their yearly exam and boosters this afternoon. Not only was it a harrowing experience for one person to do on their own (what a zoo) but the cost floored me.

Are you ready for this????????????

$584.39.........
:???: :eek: :shock:

Our 11 year old Border Collie Steffie has to go back next month and get two molars pulled, that will be another 300 dollars :cry2: :cry2: .

No wonder some people don't bother with vaccinating their pets. Our third dog gets her shots in the fall they were $168.00 last October.

Good thing they are all "healthy" "touch wood" or who knows how much that would cost a year. :?

I had to edit the price ,as I looked at my bill again and it was even more than I thought.

You can trim those costs by giving the distemper and or any other vaccine by yourself. The rabies is required by law that the Vet does. If you live on a farm I just have the Vet do the shots when they are out here for the cows, saves on the office visit.

You can check the ears for ear mites,etc.. Just a few thoughts to save money, that seems extremely high.

Gail

hillsdown":2fwkmnfy said:
I brought two of three dogs and the Kit Kat in for their yearly exam and boosters this afternoon. Not only was it a harrowing experience for one person to do on their own (what a zoo) but the cost floored me.

Are you ready for this????????????

$584.39.........
:???: :eek: :shock:

Our 11 year old Border Collie Steffie has to go back next month and get two molars pulled, that will be another 300 dollars :cry2: :cry2: .

No wonder some people don't bother with vaccinating their pets. Our third dog gets her shots in the fall they were $168.00 last October.

Good thing they are all "healthy" "touch wood" or who knows how much that would cost a year. :?

I had to edit the price ,as I looked at my bill again and it was even more than I

thought.

OMG! I have never heard of such for dogs. I take mine to the local vet and we don't have any kind of costs like that. I don't think I have ever paid more than three hundred dollars for anything, including surgery. I take my two to get vaccinated and it may cost seventy dollars when it is all said and done. I don't get their teeth cleaned or anything. Just worm check and vacs.

bambi_boy":1biwkugw said:
Collies can not have it... but you can not kill a regular dog with too much Ivomec... nor can you kill them with too much Safeguard.... Trust me

There are several herding breeds that have a sensitivity to it (ivomectrin).

I find your other statement to be on the dark side, as in you have tried it.

Please be careful what you write on a public forum, as this is not a knowledge base statement, and I would hate for the false information to cause the demise of another's pet.

I have... I wouldn't say some thing if I hadn't experienced it first hand. Call the people at Ivomec and Safeguard... they will tell you also. :roll:

Never used it myself but a friend and all his coon hunting buddies give all their hounds a bit dose of Ivomec pour on orally pretty often.

I worked for a vet who leans towards alternative health care, like acupuncture etc. She has found lots of research on the vaccine schedule and says that for the most part we are over-vaccinating our animals. With the vaccines out today you only need to vaccinate every 3-5 years after the initial puppy schedule. She has all of her clients on a 3 year reminder schedule. Rabies, however must be done according to the state mandate. Too bad you can't buy your own vaccines.

Five years ago we paid almost four hundred dollars to neuter our two year old Jack Russel Terrier. At the time we thought it very pricey. There is not a day goes by that this little fella fails to make us laugh. Taking care of him has been worth every penny spent. Tom :cboy:

grannysoo":2754nfb3 said:
Every home should have at least 1 million dollar pet. Seems that we have several of them.

Isn't that the truth.. :nod:

We just spent another 500 smackeroos on our Border Collie..She needed 2 teeth pulled..It was worth every penny , her breath was deadly before ,even after brushing,, :cowboy:

Thank goodness we are in a position to do all we can for the little turkeys..but she works hard for me every winter ,and is just a blessing in my life ,all my pets are.

hillsdown":28s64e0k said:
grannysoo":28s64e0k said:
Every home should have at least 1 million dollar pet. Seems that we have several of them.

Isn't that the truth.. :nod:

We just spent another 500 smackeroos on our Border Collie..She needed 2 teeth pulled..It was worth every penny , her breath was deadly before ,even after brushing,, :cowboy:

Thank goodness we are in a position to do all we can for the little turkeys..but she works hard for me every winter ,and is just a blessing in my life ,all my pets are.
Thats it right there..keep them happy, healthy and around as long as posssible.
That SUCKS you cant buy your own vaccinations...
We have "Operation Vaccination" come to town twice a year. I get all the rabies for the dogs and cats done then. $8 a pop versus $22 a pop at the vet. The only inconvience is getting someone to help me haul the bunch out there and catch the cats and shove them into the crate. :)