hiefers bad bag..dangit

Help Support CattleToday:

Doesn;t matter the hoped for cause. The real issue is terrible rear udder attachment, and it probably is the same in the front and medial suspension ligiment

dun":3l2ewz3n said:
Doesn;t matter the hoped for cause. The real issue is terrible rear udder attachment, and it probably is the same in the front and medial suspension ligiment

:nod:
I was thinking and seeing the same thing----------that rear attachment is shot to he77.

As for looking thin, was thinking same as Firesweep, that the calf has shifted position. I had a Jersey, would look like she had calved, just before calving, calf had shifted.

After this heifer calves, I'd ship her after she weans the calf.

looks worse now..looks full all the way to her navel..its awful lloking. vet said not to worry too much unless the calf cannot nurse. I talked to him and sent him pics. it isn't hot and he said not to try to milk her to see if it mastitis cuz the calf needs to the colostrum so don't get her leaking.
he hasn't don't me wrong yet so don't going off how hes so stupid. I also have another guy comin mon if the guy I talked to cant make it. he told me let her be until she calfs and then see what happens.

im not dealing with it tho..soon as theyre ready both of em on the road. I cant be bothered with this crap

I seen this in some lines of Beefmasters. I had one not as bad as this one mine looked like a goat a bag with two nipples. I was going to sell her but bull hurt her breeding so had to feed her to the buzzards.

well vet says its an edema or a hernia. eiher way nothing can be done til she calfs except some meds to shrink the bag but I don't see the point in that . so we watch her and hope for a good outcome. hopefully she will calf and it can latch on. then off they go..dangit

bag6.jpg

bag7.jpg

bag8.jpg

bag9.jpg

bag5.jpg

overnight the bag went from the bad looking to the not so bad..nice hiefer. at least the calf got on it... tho...

A real pretty calf. Hope she does well. I have been anxious to hear about this! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

TCRanch":1kosqisc said:
Muddy":1kosqisc said:
TCRanch":1kosqisc said:
So are you going to keep the calf? She is a cutie!
Hopefully the calf won't blow up like her momma.

Are hernias or edema genetic traits?
I don't think so, but the weak udder attachment could be genetic. Had a cow that always throw daughters with blow up udders. All had bad rear udder attachment so I culled them out.

we will keep her since shes from the old bull. will hafta wait and see what happens to her bag. idk if it is a genetic thing...or even how to find out.

I would take a chance on the heifer calf ! Maybe the bull's genetics will clean up any udder issues. If she turns out the same she can take that one way ride to the sale barn too!

I would take a chance on that pretty little heifer. I have never seen a cow's bag like that before. Some of my Beefmasters have large ones, but nothing like this one. Sure hope that little heifer turns out well.

Latest posts