Bad toy?

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I have a cow that has a large tit on one side. She has a new born less than two weeks old. Should I leave her be or catch her and what then? See pics I hope. 9E46148B-0BCE-4B6A-9F61-CA96471DD55E.jpeg

I've had 2 cows do that same thing this year. Both are young cows too. The first one liked to drove me nutz!!

But eventually they seemingly "fixed" themselves. The second one, the calf got on it much sooner than the first. I never did chute them and see of they have a messed up quarter

I had a hereford one time who was a milk wagon, believe it or not. One year her calf only sucked her left side for a long time, her right side looked like it was about to pop! Calf finally got big or hungry enough to search for more and found two more teats on the other side, finally gave her some relief. Momma was fine, but I was scared to death she was going to have problems because of it.

I have a cow that has a large tit on one side. She has a new born less than two weeks old. Should I leave her be or catch her and what then? See pics I hope. View attachment 17637
Get her in a headgate or squeeze and milk that teat out. It's just engorged. The quicker you get it emptied the less likelihood of problems. Once it's been milked it's likely the calf will suck it down just like the rest.
But it's IMPORTANT to get it milked so it shrinks down.
There's a good chance that once the calf starts sucking it will be fine both short term and long term.

I've had cows do that before without causing an issue for her or the calf. It just went away as time passed.

Latest posts