Hide and seek.

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
It was time to change pastures yesterday. When they came across you could tell #37 had Calved. She would not go back to the old pasture. So I go looking. Found it finally. Heifer. Laying still in the mesquites. Walked up and it took off. Then it laid down and hid. Did not have the lariot in the truck. The last time it looked for 20 minutes to find it. Roped it with a nylon rope. Tied it and put it in the floor board. Hauled it to momma.

Then I realized my cell phone was gone. Never found it after looking for a couple hours. Went to town to get grandsons from day care. Called the boss lady who said she'd come down and start calling my number. 4 year old grandson said he could hear it. I couldn't. He was right.

BIL rides up and asks if I am missing a cow. Tell him I dunno. Counted them 4 times earlier and got 4 different numbers. He tells me he saw one on the river pasture. Go down there and #19 has a bull calf and is hiding out. She doesn't want us near the calf. Had to drive her out of the cedars and across 3 pastures. Got done at dark.

Did I mention how much work I didn't get done yesterday?

Don't feel bad. I can't count either. People always asked me how many cows I have and I just tell them I don't know. Its the truth. I don't. Apparantly I can't count.

You know its best to put your phone on vibrate when working cows but its a good thing you didn't. Been there myself a time or two and I can't hear worth a flip out of my right ear so it does make it hard.

Add me in to the can't count club, I always come up with 3 numbers, what is probably the right count, one less than that, and one more than that, and if I counted them 9 times I would have 3 of each.

I'm like Jo, when people ask me how many cattle I have I just say I don't know, mostly they're just being nosy anyway

Larry

The little ones run in and out, the big ones are moving, some little ones get behind a terrace - I am always lost in the count.

After the last jail break I pulled numbers and did a complete inventory of all females. They were all there. It took a while.

#19 had Calved May 5 last year with her first calf. I wasn't expecting her to calve just yet. #37 was a couple of weeks late as is #40. It pays to keep a close eye on them all it seems.

#8 and #40 could pop at any time. Who knows which others. They back up on me too much at times. I expect veteran cows to back up. Don't see one with her 2 nd calf back up 7 weeks that often. 2 of them have so far this year.

Maybe I should put gps trackers on them? :D

Add me to the can't hear list. Counting I can do, hearing not so much, the constant ring or buzz in the ears is bad enough to drown out the belly aching from the wife most days.

LRTX1":931dmqy9 said:
Add me to the can't hear list. Counting I can do, hearing not so much, the constant ring or buzz in the ears is bad enough to drown out the belly aching from the wife most days.

:lol2: see there's a silver lining in every cloud.

Larry

Latest posts