Hi! Newbie here... To farm life and this board...

Help Support CattleToday:

fyibyit

Reaction score
Hi... After many years of dreamin I finally got me a little farm... 2.18 acres... yes I know... very little... anyways... I am busy cleanin up my property... people before me didnt use it for anythin... I'm anxious to actually start farming... I've got my first day-old chicks coming monday... :D I am looking for a jersey heifer calf... any info on finding one would be welcomed... also if anybody knows of a small livestock trailer I can purchase... small as in can hold one animal...

Thanks...

Welcome to the Boards. Regarding the chicks hope you have a place fixed for them that is varmit proof and heated. Regarding the heifer could ask your neighbors or down at the feed store about where to find a jersey. Could be a nice dairy nearby.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just gotta love them Oregan folks, don't ya?
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep Muratic.
Hope Oregonian's trailer will hold that heifer calf when it is an adult.

la4angus":3chtcv85 said:
Yep Muratic.

Oh come on LA. Did I imply that this person was oregonian? :D

Muratic":19qqjv3a said:
la4angus":19qqjv3a said:
Yep Muratic.

Oh come on LA. Did I imply that this person was oregonian? :D

Nope. But he/she/it is from Oregon Land and Home of the tree huggers so therefore an Oregonian. Maybe not the origional "Oregonian" Now pour the brandy.

Muratic":13s2d2wr said:

Be nice! :) You too, LA4Angus! Everyone has to start somewhere.

msscamp":1cjoyoes said:
Muratic":1cjoyoes said:

Be nice! :) You too, LA4Angus! Everyone has to start somewhere.
Yep. Pour the Brandy

Good morning and welcome....chickens are a good starting point with a small place...need a secure pen and shed for them, as suggested. I gather you're interested in a milk cow? With limited space for a cow, you might consider a Dexter (small breed for milk and beef), but you'll probably have to provide hay and grain year-round, especially if you are going to milk her. Before getting any cow, look at as many as you can before you purchase to get a view of what's available, pricing, temperament, health, etc. As far as a trailer, you might be able to find a used small horse trailer in good condition, which might be better than something home-made. A couple of suggestions: check around for local vet service before you get any large animal, just in case, cause sooner or later you will probably need a vet (do they make farm calls or do you have to transport the animal to them?). Your local extension service may be able to help you or refer you to sources regarding fencing, hay, etc. Are you "zoned" for farm animals? How close are your neighbors (chickens and even just one cow can make some noise).

Small or large, having your own space in the "country" is great. Just my thoughts on half a cup of coffee...not up to speed at this hour of the a.m.

Gale

Welcome aboard. You might consider buying a stock rack if you have a pickup. It is a "cage" that you slide into the bed of you truck. Can haul cattle, pigs, horse, sheep, etc. Just need a ramp for them to walk into the bed of the truck. If you weld, you can make one, just be sure to have a floor on it.

Welcome :) Now Im not the "N00b" any more :)

Lots of great folks here and more helpful information than you can shake a stick at 8)

Welcome! I had chickens for many years. I would like to get more, but seem I am stretched too far now to add more. If you already know the following, then overlook it. One thing I would do agian if I had chickens, I would run a tall woven poultry fence around the chicken yard for keeping them safe at night. Then I would take the tall T posts and turn the flat side to the outside and attatch the fence there. Then take the longer electric fence insulators and run two or three strands around the outside. One very close to the bottom where the grass will not touch it, and one midways and one around the top. We find that small chicken-eating varmits such as minks and bobcats are now visiting here. The bobcats like to scale the tall fence, go in and kill several at a time. When they kill a few, they eat the head off of each so that they know it is dead, and they plan on coming back later or the next day to get it. Sort of like leoporads taking animals up in a tree and leaving them for later. Before the next day, you have already arranged things differently. They may not come back for a day or so, but you can count on it.
Another thing with chickens, the manure is the cleanest of seed over horses and cattle. It is hotter too.
Good luck with the dairy calf. A small stock trailer will hold your heifer calf. I would get one bigger than a two horse trailer size. You should be able to find one used pretty easy in your area.

Welcome to the boards, and welcome to the grungy, dirty, hard work of farming! But soooo honest and rewarding! :D

As far as chickens, yes all the folks suggesting you spend your time and efforts on protection of the chickens are sooo right....amazing how one can get wiped out in a single night so easily! :(

As far as a single milk cow, you want a Jersey? My opion is that they make excellent solitary milk family cows.

But why would you want to spend the money on a stock trailer you may only use for a single or even a few cattle infrequently? May be better off simply hooking up with some one and occasionaly hiring him or her to do your hauling for you.

Trust me, we have watched a few of our trailers sit and almost rot away between trips........ned to use them frequently to make the expense worthwhile.

Good luck in your venture! :cboy:

Medic24":343fe5q6 said:
As far as a single milk cow, you want a Jersey? My opion is that they make excellent solitary milk family cows.

Jerseys are meaner than a sack full of snakes. You want something dumb and slow. Try Brown Swiss.

Jersey bulls are a little mean but the cows don't seem to be much of a problem unless they have a new calf on them. Our's have always been pretty even tempered.

Latest posts