Hey, experienced ranchers!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
Let me explain this situation to you guys, I have a neighbor that has 20 acres that he told me I could use but, it has to be harvested by next May 15th so I'll have to plant something this fall. Was wondering if you would have any recomendations on something that could be cut for hay?

you better plant something before them Gypsy moths come...they aint got here yet but I know they'll be here soon to screw everything up :roll: ...I think they eat more than my cattle do :lol:

Herefordcross, if the ground is good enough to cut for hay, I would plant winter wheat. If you are going to pasture it this fall, I would plant it around Sept. 1. If you are not going to pasture it, I would plant it in mid-October or later. Since you are not going to get to use it after May 15, I would not bother planting any other grass with it. You can plant the wheat and it will give you a good hay cutting by May 15, and it will be high protein and food value. Wheat makes really good hay if cut at the right time.

When is the right time to cut it and what variety, I did a little reading on WW and they talked about the "ribs" ?? being soft and some being hard. What tonnage can be expected? Can't graze it!

Up here about the only thing I can cut by may 15 is snow. Just wondering why it has to be cut by then, and do you get later cuttings?

I am not sure what the variety is. The local seed store has a hay variety of wheat. Cut it when it starts to boot, that will be ideal for food value. I dont know what to tell you on the expected tonnage, sorry about that. Wheat and winter rye have the same time table for planting, wheat has to be put into the ground, rye is not so choosy. Wheat is the better choice for hay or even better quality pasture if you are able to drill it or make a seed bed for it

Winter wheat should work good. I have used rye [the grain] up here and will use it again. Cheap seed, hearty, soil dosn't have to be worked up all that well, winters easy, yields good. and makes decent hay when cut in the early blooming stage.

mnmt

Latest posts