Hey Caustic!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
We had a calf torn to shreds by coyotes this weekend and there was nothing but a head and bones left when we got out there!!! Now we've got pure coyotes around here. They are big 'uns but there isn't any wolf or dog in them. We also had a calf this spring get it's tail ripped off by a pair of them. Below is his picture. Sorry just had to vent. Looks like me and Medic are in the same boat here.

fd72f4a4.jpg

I know this may be for old caustic - but figured I would throw my 2 cents in the ring.

Too bad the border is not open to cows Jake - I have some coyote killers in the herd that you could have cheap - and they raise good calves as well.

Gentle as heck around people.

Next time you have a dead one - bait and shoot!

.22 - .250 with 63 grains pushing at 3700 ft per sec out of a #4 barrel under a Leupold 4 x 12 VariX III is lazer death around here.

Do not see many though - the cows keep them away.

Bez'

little brother is gunna hunt them this week. he got to take the week off of school to work/hunt so he's gunna lay lead into a few. he wants to shoot something so he might get to. he's got a Savage .17 HMR to shoot at them. Should be fun.

Sure is a clean job. Is it possible that he just got mixed up with your sheep and you just docked him when you did your lambs? Maybe you were thinking about girls, or something?

too far west for fox, haven't seen a single one since the coyotes came back. That's what I thought at first but kinda hard with none around. Same with the wild dogs. Nobody tolerates them, and few people have dogs anyways.

Jake":q12cah1r said:
too far west for fox, haven't seen a single one since the coyotes came back. That's what I thought at first but kinda hard with none around. Same with the wild dogs. Nobody tolerates them, and few people have dogs anyways.
No...it's a fox Jake.

Jake":t73fclnc said:
Texan":t73fclnc said:
What makes you so sure coyotes ripped that tail off?

with the new numbers around here and the lack of any dogs. The only other option is a big cat.

Based on our experience with big cat's, doubtful. Any calf that has ever been found after tangling with a big cat has been pretty much shredded down the back.

Only a smart old fox Jake would know that red calf would be so much better eating than those boney blacks. ;-)

it was just that this red one was so much easier to find. That's how come I know the dumb ole coyote found it ;-)

You seen the yotes kill the calf and tear off the tail or just assume because you seen the little scavengers feeding on the carcass.
Could have been a pack of buffalo wolves that had recently killed a giant sloth and mastedon following the now extinct giant bisons on there retreat from the ice sheet desending from Canada.
First thing to do is identify your pedator before you start hunting. A pack of your neighbors yard dogs will range 7 or 8 miles in a night.

Jake":47l1g14g said:
Texan":47l1g14g said:

with the new numbers around here and the lack of any dogs. The only other option is a big cat.

Caustic, there are no dogs around here.... The new calf may have been dead but they are still gunna get lead flung at them for the fun of it and because if they would have at least left it for a day we could have known what happened. The calf had to lose it's tail to coyotes or a cat. The mom was so winded when we got there that she was just standing over him pissed off. That's my arguement against a fox, and yet again I'll say THERE ARE NO DOGS around here. The only dogs in the country are tied up coon dogs and some cow dogs that stay at the trucks. The neighbors have a Neg. 3 policy against dogs. ya see them, ya shoot them.

Jake":2txavy7u said:
Jake":2txavy7u said:
Texan":2txavy7u said:

Caustic, there are no dogs around here.... The new calf may have been dead but they are still gunna get lead flung at them for the fun of it and because if they would have at least left it for a day we could have known what happened. The calf had to lose it's tail to coyotes or a cat. The mom was so winded when we got there that she was just standing over him be nice off. That's my arguement against a fox, and yet again I'll say THERE ARE NO DOGS around here. The only dogs in the country are tied up coon dogs and some cow dogs that stay at the trucks. The neighbors have a Neg. 3 policy against dogs. ya see them, ya shoot them.

http://www.patmedia.net/marklevinson/co ... usion.html

With a coyote problem like that I'd see if there is a group of varmint hunters in your area. Sure that they would like to handle your problem for free. I seen a couple of guys that had a tape recording of calls that they played...thought that was pretty foolosh until they harvested twenty one coyotes that night. Seems like just after the last shot quieted down another one would start creeping in to the call and into range.
I just throw some steer parts on the hill within shotgun range of the back porch and listen to the yipping at night. Dave Mc

Latest posts