Heston stackhand 30

Help Support CattleToday:

danfreds

Reaction score
Would anyone know if you could cut green chop with a stackhand never seen one used. would like to try to make some vacume silage with one. This is a web site that tells a little about vacume silage. <http://www.alphaag.com/>

danfreds":u6fpe4zm said:
Would anyone know if you could cut green chop with a stackhand never seen one used. would like to try to make some vacume silage with one. This is a web site that tells a little about vacume silage. <http://www.alphaag.com/>

I think it'd be too much weight for a stackhand. Gotta remember even wrapped silage round bales rolled at less than like 40% moisture still weigh half again to nearly double what an equivalent size round bale of dry hay weighs. It MIGHT work if you had a stackhand and wanted to give it a try but I'd make the loads small.

Neatest outfit I've seen lately for making cheap feed was in a recent issue of FARM SHOW magazine. Some guy down in Fla. I believe uses an old JD flail silage chopper to pick up his hay instead of baling it. He cuts and rakes the hay regularly like for round baling, lets it dry down to proper baling moisture, but then instead of baling it he chops it with the flail cutter and blows it into modified trailers built on old trailerhouse frames. He has several of these trailers which are a wood or steel mesh floor on the trailerhouse frame, stud walls coming up from that with tin on the outside, and a cheap tin roof on top. The back end is covered with tin and the front end is too except for a fold down panel for the blower chute to blow the hay into the trailer. The bottom 2-3 foot on the sides is hinged the length of the trailer for feedout. The hay is covered from the minute it's picked up until it's fed out and the trailer doubles as a feeder. He just raises a section of the side at a time and the cattle eat out as needed. Kinda neat idea. Says it's a lot cheaper than baling and wrapping or twining and moving and building a barn or suffering storage losses and all that. Costs a little to build the trailers but he says that not having to buy and maintain a high dollar baler but getting by with a cheap auction chopper makes all the difference. OL JR :)

That sounds inovative, fun to here of new ideas like that. Im looking into vacuum silage because of alergies, that dust gets to me now days. Putting it up with no dust, in one pass, most any day of the week sounds good to me. Thank you for the info. Do you have many cows/animals or just make hay? :)

danfreds":uphdxq32 said:

I agree with cowtrek.The Hesston will likely not handle the weight. The one we had was pretty chinsy built.

danfreds":t21ail0q said:
That sounds inovative, fun to here of new ideas like that. Im looking into vacuum silage because of alergies, that dust gets to me now days. Putting it up with no dust, in one pass, most any day of the week sounds good to me. Thank you for the info. Do you have many cows/animals or just make hay? :)

Howdy! Yep we run about 100 head (calves and all) and bale our own hay for em and do a little custom work on the side. Know what you mean about the allergies, they get me too. I just dope up with Benadryl or Drixoral and muddle through. Don't know much about the silage; isn't real big down here and what little there is is just chopped and bunker packed.

What part of Indiana are you from?? In-laws are up near Rochester and wife's cousins are down near Bloomington. Pretty country up there. See ya later and good luck! OL JR :)

Hello OL JR Were NE indiana mile from OH and six from MI we have 42 head altogether like to end up with that many cows :)

Latest posts