Hereford??

Help Support CattleToday:

Simmental7

Reaction score
This is going to be a pretty controversal statement but, why are people using herefords if there getting docked big time at the salebarn?? even the feather neck black baldies get docked..... so why use them? i know there is a place for them but....

Staright bred looking Herefords get docked around here but 80 miles west the don;t. Our red baldys, black baldys stright red and blacks sell the same even around here.

Simmental7":1bgtawa8 said:
This is going to be a pretty controversal statement but, why are people using herefords if there getting docked big time at the salebarn?? even the feather neck black baldies get docked..... so why use them? i know there is a place for them but....
I know I don't get docked with feather neck black baldy calves at the salebarn in the past when we had some black baldies & red baldies in our herd. Now we are seeing that red calves and red baldy calves are being acceptable in the salebarns in my area. But I don't see any hereford calves being sold at the salebarn recently so I can't comment on that one.

All lies. It's a little known fact that all of us Hereford guys are 30 years behind everyone else and are pretty slow on the uptake. :bang:

But it's better to be slow and retarded than fast and full of sh@t like those Black Baldy fellas.

Aaron":1e2f8v80 said:
All lies. It's a little known fact that all of us Hereford guys are 30 years behind everyone else and are pretty slow on the uptake. :bang:

But it's better to be slow and retarded than fast and full of sh@t like those Black Baldy fellas.

He[[ i thought the only reason you fellas raised Herefords was so the baldie makers would have the right ingredients!

Good hereford cattle in eastern montana will sell darn good. There is still hereford cattle that should be sold with a discount. Besides a good set of red angus females HEREFORD FEMALES will out sell anything, even black hided females in North Dakota and eastern Montana. BOTH red hided cattle but maybe people still select for ranching ability and doing ability over color.

A

Alot of Hereford bulls used around here on black cows. The black baldies dont get docked, and usually stay steady at the sale. But you see a hereford run thru there, and it gets knocked down.

Simmental7":bdnc8zf4 said:
I'm guessing you live somewhere within the corn belt? Baldies always get docked around here, pretty much any solid color sells the best, and most black blaze.

Limomike":2aexwx1k said:
Alot of Hereford bulls used around here on black cows. The black baldies dont get docked, and usually stay steady at the sale. But you see a hereford run thru there, and it gets knocked down.
just like brahman.. but cross the 2 together, and it produces gold

Simmental7":2xxpo0jt said:

Only problem with hereford cattle around here is that most are sorry as he77....that's why they get docked.

We sold our Hereford steers privately, top pick for 4H calves, the rest through craigslist. We named our price. The people who bought through craigslist said they were looking specifically for Herefords for 2 reasons, temperment and ability to gain on grass. We could have sold a lot more, if we had them.

Salebarns take a hit on Herefords around here, until your name gets around if you have good ones.

Here hereford calves or baldie steers with to much white sell at a big discount. Hereford cows almost can't be sold as pairs... they'll just kill the cow and sell the calf.
But... A good horned hereford bull is worth $4,000 plus.

Chris H":3qobqnqd said:
We sold our Hereford steers privately, top pick for 4H calves, the rest through craigslist. We named our price. The people who bought through craigslist said they were looking specifically for Herefords for 2 reasons, temperment and ability to gain on grass. We could have sold a lot more, if we had them.

Salebarns take a hit on Herefords around here, until your name gets around if you have good ones.

+1 on that.

Around my neck of the woods, good Black baldys sell as well as good blacks. They really eat em up if they come in, mixed good black baldys and good black. But I'm noticing good Reds and good Red baldys are not being cut out like they used to be. Notice how many times I used the word "good" thats the bottom line in any paint. "Good". :tiphat: B&G

I went to a cow sale a couple weeks ago where a guy brought in 90 head of black bred heifers, there were something like 10 white and brockle faced heifers they split off and sold as a group. A couple guys around me were saying how bad they wanted those baldie heifers. The straight blacks brought in the $1800 range, then the baldies brought a little over $2000. All from the same ranch and breeding. After the sale a guy that wanted them was talking about how bad he wanted the baldies but had to buy the solid blacks because the others were out of his price range so I suggested buying a Hereford bull and making his own. He said "I dont want no Hereford bull". Where does he think the white face came from? and why did he want the white faced heifers so bad then if the first place?

KHereford":j1khkq0y said:
I went to a cow sale a couple weeks ago where a guy brought in 90 head of black bred heifers, there were something like 10 white and brockle faced heifers they split off and sold as a group. A couple guys around me were saying how bad they wanted those baldie heifers. The straight blacks brought in the $1800 range, then the baldies brought a little over $2000. All from the same ranch and breeding. After the sale a guy that wanted them was talking about how bad he wanted the baldies but had to buy the solid blacks because the others were out of his price range so I suggested buying a Hereford bull and making his own. He said "I dont want no Hereford bull". Where does he think the white face came from? and why did he want the white faced heifers so bad then if the first place?
He probably knows where the white face came from. He's probably like me, I dont want a Hereford bull either.. but I like the baldies. I got some white faced AND mottle faced cows, and they produce that white face or mottled face nearly everytime. And thats with using black limo bulls on em.

Simmental7":75af6xfg said:

Temperment, fertility, quality carcass and eating experience, efficiency in the feed lot.
All coming from a cow that can survive, thrive and raise a quality calf in a variety of climates and living conditions, with out a lot of extra supplement, large amounts of feed and a pile of silage. There are a lot breeds of cattle that can't do what Hereford and baldy cows can do in harsh environments. The current drought situation is good proof of that.

Cattle get docked at the salebarn because of poor quality or poor marketing by their owner. There are plenty of Hereford breeders who are getting a decent premium for their calves and breeding stock, and have a lot less inputs than those with other breeds.

Bottom line, the answer to your question is "profit". That is more important than whether or not your calves top the sale at the local salebarn.

Limomike, sorry I was just being a smart a$$ with the last ? on my post. The last group of cows my grandpa had were black white face cows bred to red limo bulls and raised calves that seemed as big as the cow her self, I was was pretty small so I might not remember correctly but they were good calves for sure!

Elder Statesman":3evep4yk said:
Simmental7":3evep4yk said:

Temperment, fertility, quality carcass and eating experience, efficiency in the feed lot.
All coming from a cow that can survive, thrive and raise a quality calf in a variety of climates and living conditions, with out a lot of extra supplement, large amounts of feed and a pile of silage. There are a lot breeds of cattle that can't do what Hereford and baldy cows can do in harsh environments. The current drought situation is good proof of that.

Cattle get docked at the salebarn because of poor quality or poor marketing by their owner. There are plenty of Hereford breeders who are getting a decent premium for their calves and breeding stock, and have a lot less inputs than those with other breeds.

Bottom line, the answer to your question is "profit". That is more important than whether or not your calves top the sale at the local salebarn.

Excellent post. Thank you.

Many of us raise Herefords because we have found they have traits which are very valuable in our particular local conditions and system. These traits are strong enough to offset the marketing juggernaut of the black-hided-is-the-only-way-to-go crowd.

As other comments in this thread indicate, the days of the premium based ONLY on hide color are about at an end. I believe in the economy of the future, QUALITY will be more and more important in many industries. It will be more and more difficult to use marketing power alone to create and sustain sales. With communications as they are and will further develop, truth comes out despite massive expenditures on advertising.

I am not knocking the CAB premium for quality, just the related emphasis on hide color only.

I find Herefords are well suited to a lower-input beef production system. And they can still provide a high quality product.

However just as in black hide, the fact a cow is a red featherneck is in itself NOT an indication of quality.

Jim

Latest posts