HEREFORD

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":2ozne44w said:
Thank you sir.

I can't wait to add some Red Angus to the mix in about a week. Wish me luck at the sale.

Better yet, drive down and lend a hand, and bring your checkbook! LOL!

Why would you want to add red Angus to your herd TT? You have the best and most profitable cross now.

True Grit Farms":2e6euso0 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2e6euso0 said:
Thank you sir.

I can't wait to add some Red Angus to the mix in about a week. Wish me luck at the sale.

Better yet, drive down and lend a hand, and bring your checkbook! LOL!

Why would you want to add red Angus to your herd TT? You have the best and most profitable cross now.

Because I like the breed. My calves will be black when I need to sell them and red when I want to keep heifers depending on the bull I use.

True Grit Farms":1x65mkos said:
The black baldies don't out sell the straight black up there?
They do here. Steers by a little bit. Replacement type heifers by a bunch.

The cancer eye and prolapse of years past put a mark on the breed. Like birth weight in a lot of continentals.

Older generation in my family went away from herefords and toward brangus influenced cattle, and then toward black angus. But it seems to me that herefords bulls are getting more popular over the past couple of years, with many putting them back over the predominately angus commercial cattle.

The decrease in overall popularity of a breed is not always a bad thing. You might be more likely to find breeding for love of the breed and making a better bovine vs love of trying to turn a buck with something popular.

I really like some of the herefords that get posted here. Those bulls in that other thread would make some dandy cattle.

Red angus and black baldies may be my personal favorite cows. I really like looking at good hereford bull. I can't give a good reason why, but herefords cows not so much.