Hereford x Longhorn ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Went to stockyards yesterday, putting together a group of heifers, and these two came right behind some BWF, and were off the same farm, a little lighter weight. While in the ring we just thought they were Herefords, and both my wife and I thought they might be an ok buy. Wasn't too excited about the one having horns but thought that could be dealt with. When we were loading out, I thought they seemed to be marked a little different. I don't know much about Longhorns but thought they could be part.
I know the pictures aren't very good, but what do y'all think?

Could be longhorn in both of them, I bet it is 1/8 or less. Our you going to keep these to breed? Breed them to the Hereford next summer?

The dark circle around the ones nose and eyes is throwing me off. Would they be Hereford with some jersey from way back?

Davemk, if they do ok over the winter, I will likely keep them to breed. I would like to breed them to the Hereford bull, but it's hard for me to breed heifers to anything but an Angus. I did put some Hereford heifers with the Hereford bull in the spring though.

Kingfisher, if I messed up it wouldn't be the first time. Messed up last week, brought in a crazy heifer that came in a group. She was fired up something awful, we finally got her loaded back up and took her to the stockyards that was selling the next day. Warned them that she was crazy before we unloaded her, and she sold accordingly that time. I lost half on her, but good riddance to that thing.

If you got them cheap and plan on keeping them as mommas I would say congratulations, they should make some good low maintenance cows. That is if they are LH/Herford. The ring around the muzzle has me wondering. A good prepotent linebred bull would be perfect for heifers like those...I bet

The horned heifer should make a good momma and might have some LH in her. The other I have doubts about.

I would be happy if they did have some Jersey influence in them, had some 1/2 Hereford, Jersey cows from my calf raising days, they were good. Some were brindle, with white face and some just rwf. Now that I think about it one of them had a calf from an Angus bull that had a similar pattern around her muzzle.

My guess 3 way cross maybe 4 in the woodpile with Hereford being 1/2 right. I don't see any Jersey in them.
Maybe 1/4 longhorn and wild guess of 1/8 shorthorn.... but who knows.

Low birth Angus 1st time Char. next go around and it won't make no difference if they were full blood Longhorn. I would put a band on them horns, give them their shots, worm, and see what they do nothing wrong with cross bred cows just use the right bull.
just my 2 cents, I know some will disagree

Kingfisher":21i33tb3 said:
I think you messed up...

If they were priced accordingly than maybe not. They might raise some good calves and pay for themselves with that first calf.

If you have any local team ropers you could sell the horned heifer to rope - she's got good bases and is the right size

I'm not sure what you paid for them but fresh roping cattle are worth more than scale prices

Guy across the street has been hauling off HerefordXLonghorn animals the past few weeks. His look almost exactly like that. His animals never get sick. But they can jump like nothing i've ever seen. Nothing to clear 5 ft. tall fence. I doubt his made their way up to where you are.

Maybe you could pass them off again before the big horns are very noticeable.

Longhorn X Horned Hereford heifer with her first Angus X calf. Second pic is dam and grand dam standing behind the pair....and another random Longhorn X Angus calf. Our (most) profitable cows are Longhorn X Angus or Hereford crossed back to Angus. They eat light, and I've never had fence jumpers.

Farm Fence Solutions":36n45lge said:

Longhorn X Horned Hereford heifer with her first Angus X calf. Second pic is dam and grand dam standing behind the pair....and another random Longhorn X Angus calf. Our (most) profitable cows are Longhorn X Angus or Hereford crossed back to Angus. They eat light, and I've never had fence jumpers.
I always think it is kind of funny to see people on here start talking like ALL longhorns are fence jumpers or ALL Brahman are wild and mean or what ever they seen some breed do that was bad its like they all will do it. I worked on a kill floor and have seen every breed do something bad or stupid its not the breed its the cow. That cross bred cow you got there looks like a money maker to me. I would have banded her horns when she was young other than that I like her.

Thanks for the responses and thank you Farm Fence Solutions for the pictures.
Some have suggested banding the horns, I have never banded any cattle horns before, and am wondering if I were to do it now would they continue to grow out much behind from the bands? Also wondering if I don't do anything to the horns would we then still be able to get her through a chute? Have not had much experience with horned cattle, always used to dehorn when they were small, with either an electric or a barnes type.