Hereford x Longhorn ?

Help Support CattleToday:

The beef cross usually takes enough horn away that working through a chute isn't ever a problem. I don't mind a cow with some horn.

elkwc":6a3uchpf said:
The horned heifer should make a good momma and might have some LH in her. The other I have doubts about.

I would have to agree. The polled heifer looks like she's older, and will be slow to mature...but I am no expert. I like the look of the horned heifer for a keeper. She is too beefy and not enough horn to pass off to a team roper, IMHO. Horn past the ears before they hit 400 is a pretty good rule of thumb for team roping cattle.

Farm Fence Solutions":wtzsrufj said:
Our (most) profitable cows are Longhorn X Angus or Hereford crossed back to Angus. They eat light, and I've never had fence jumpers.

Sounds like the 1800s. The only thing I have noted was that your LH cows look beefier than most I have seen.

How much maternal progress have we made in 140 years?

Stocker Steve":3f8uoz12 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3f8uoz12 said:
Our (most) profitable cows are Longhorn X Angus or Hereford crossed back to Angus. They eat light, and I've never had fence jumpers.

Sounds like the 1800s. The only thing I have noted was that your LH cows look beefier than most I have seen.

Most people won't give a LH the chance to be beefy. It's stuck in most folks heads that they should be racks of bones. As far as the maternal progress.....Not as much as the guys selling six figure replacements would have you think. Here is an honest look at full sisters at 2 yrs and 3 yrs old. My program wouldn't work for everyone, but hybrid vigor is hybrid vigor. I bought a dang nice solid color Mexican bull in 08'.....Named him Obama. We did the right thing and voted his azz out four years later, once we'd used him for what he was good for. We crossed him on Angus heifers, and believe it or not, improved their get in enough ways to call it a success. You want replacements that milk better on junk feed? (important in this neck of the woods) A little Hereford influence wont' hurt a thing. You want low BW? Angus bull is your man. You want really low BW? Get a Mexican bull. You want cows that can survive on good feed, or ragweed, and everything in between? Put a little LH influence in your cows. If I thought I could stay half way close to a profit, I'd have some ear to go with the horn....Just don't think it'll fly around here just yet. I don't aim to take anything away from the purebred people, but that kind of organization just doesn't fit my schedule. :lol:

Farm Fence Solutions":256f5xfg said:
Stocker Steve":256f5xfg said:
Farm Fence Solutions":256f5xfg said:

Most people won't give a LH the chance to be beefy. It's stuck in most folks heads that they should be racks of bones. As far as the maternal progress.....Not as much as the guys selling six figure replacements would have you think. Here is an honest look at full sisters at 2 yrs and 3 yrs old. My program wouldn't work for everyone, but hybrid vigor is hybrid vigor. I bought a dang nice solid color Mexican bull in 08'.....Named him Obama. We did the right thing and voted his azz out four years later, once we'd used him for what he was good for. We crossed him on Angus heifers, and believe it or not, improved their get in enough ways to call it a success. You want replacements that milk better on junk feed? (important in this neck of the woods) A little Hereford influence wont' hurt a thing. You want low BW? Angus bull is your man. You want really low BW? Get a Mexican bull. You want cows that can survive on good feed, or ragweed, and everything in between? Put a little LH influence in your cows. If I thought I could stay half way close to a profit, I'd have some ear to go with the horn....Just don't think it'll fly around here just yet. I don't aim to take anything away from the purebred people, but that kind of organization just doesn't fit my schedule. :lol:
I was born and raised around dairy cattle, I never gave much thought to beef cattle until I was well into my 20's. Years ago I became friends with an older dairy farmer who also had a small herd of longhorns. He told me something I'll never forget and I think is so true. He said that cattle are getting the "instincts"" bred out of them and that todays cattle are getting dumber and dumber. Call me crazy but this is why I am a huge fan of longhorns.

ohiosteve":26w8l3tj said:
Farm Fence Solutions":26w8l3tj said:
Stocker Steve":26w8l3tj said:

I was born and raised around dairy cattle, I never gave much thought to beef cattle until I was well into my 20's. Years ago I became friends with an older dairy farmer who also had a small herd of longhorns. He told me something I'll never forget and I think is so true. He said that cattle are getting the "instincts"" bred out of them and that todays cattle are getting dumber and dumber. Call me crazy but this is why I am a huge fan of longhorns.

You are correct. I have state in previous posts in the past. There is a beef version of the LH that has alot of muscle and when crossed makes a very good quality animal. They also offer many qualities that have been bred out of todays cattle. They are hard and have vigor. Great mothers. Coyotes aren't an issue with them.

LH X Angus first calf heifer.....Dam is the old cow with the 1 up 1 down horns....with her Angus sired bull calf. I'd take all of these I could get.

Farm Fence Solutions":3enyeutx said:
LH X Angus first calf heifer.....Dam is the old cow with the 1 up 1 down horns....with her Angus sired bull calf. I'd take all of these I could get.
I have said I like the looks of some of your cross bred cows , and I do.
so where are you from, I am guessing north/n.e. from what you are saying about getting docked for a little ear. Where I am from they would dock bad for that line back calf, yes he looks nice but that color would tear the price up. That is why if I had your cows I would breed them back to a Char.

BRYANT":1mtkrsp5 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1mtkrsp5 said:
I have said I like the looks of some of your cross bred cows , and I do.
so where are you from, I am guessing north/n.e. from what you are saying about getting docked for a little ear. Where I am from they would dock bad for that line back calf, yes he looks nice but that color would tear the price up. That is why if I had your cows I would breed them back to a Char.

We are in SW Indiana. The father/son that buy most of my calves wear me out wanting more "skunks". They had over 1,000 on feed last time I talked to them, and our cross calves are some of their favorites. They've even kept several of the heifer calves for cows, and I've sold them several LH X young pairs. (They bought both of the Hereford X LH heifers, and another half dozen or so Angus X LH young pairs from me this spring.....and paid good money for them) I would like to try a Char bull on a few...just haven't had the right opportunity come up yet.