Hereford cows with brahma bull

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
I saw some hereford cows for sale bred to a brahma. I love tiger stripes and have hereford cows and heifers. How much birthing problems would come from this? Is it okay or a recipe for trouble.

BK9954":31jvuvk3 said:
I saw some hereford cows for sale bred to a brahma. I love tiger stripes and have hereford cows and heifers. How much birthing problems would come from this? Is it okay or a recipe for trouble.

If they're mature cows (3 or more years old), of at least average size, I wouldn't expect any problems.

I wouldn't be worried. The heifer calf grow into the best mama cows you can imagine and are in very high demand.

I would scrutinize the Brahman bull's track record with birthing weights very closely. The ABBA does not gather a lot of the EPD's like calving ease. And for the EPD's that are collected, not many bulls have any accuracy due to low numbers being reported. Lots of Brahman throw huge calves, even with mature cows. Been there, done that, got the vet bills to prove it. I also hypothesize that the calf's hump, even though it is small, really hinders shoulder passage. We have had better luck with our Charolais bull. And the Charolais calves are by no means small.

Latest posts