Hereford Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
Since this seems to be becoming the "Hereford Board"...

A good friend is looking for some Hereford bulls to use on registered gray Brahman cows. He's bought from DeShazer, and didn't care for them. He bought five stout 3 - 5year old bulls that supposidely came out of Canada (from a jockey, so I don't know the details) but they all tested badly on the BSE exam yesterday. He's sick, because he really like the bulls. They have excellent bone, which he really liked. I believe some were polled, but most are horned. I think he'd prefer horned (the old "horned are better" deal) but would consider polled if he could find some good stout ones. Unfortunately the "jockey" didn't have the papers, or I could give you an idea of the breeding.

Any suggestions? We're in central Texas, but he'd probably consider anywhere if he could find what he's looking for.

What about Barber Ranch? I think they just had a sale though...

BKR is in McKinney, Texas. If I was looking for a bull that would work, I'd go there first.

TheBullLady":1ixsun84 said:
Since this seems to be becoming the "Hereford Board"...

A good friend is looking for some Hereford bulls to use on registered gray Brahman cows. He's bought from DeShazer, and didn't care for them. He bought five stout 3 - 5year old bulls that supposidely came out of Canada (from a jockey, so I don't know the details) but they all tested badly on the BSE exam yesterday. He's sick, because he really like the bulls. They have excellent bone, which he really liked. I believe some were polled, but most are horned. I think he'd prefer horned
  • (the old "horned are better" deal)
but would consider polled if he could find some good stout ones. Unfortunately the "jockey" didn't have the papers, or I could give you an idea of the breeding.

Any suggestions? We're in central Texas, but he'd probably consider anywhere if he could find what he's looking for.
i wonder what kind of body condition they where in. coming from canada to texas must have been a big change or a stessfull trip. or they still adapting?seems odd the they all did poorly.. to many good polled bulls today to use on them brahman cows. for that good polled F1

re-test in a month's time, they could have had a fever from being transported, that would affect their BSE.

Give them time to adapt and I'm sure they'll test OK. Its unlikely that all 5 would test poorly unless affected by the move to Texas

Is there more than one meaning to BSE???? I would say, "we a have a problem Houston" if something failed a BSE test.

Horseless":18v7fp45 said:
Is there more than one meaning to BSE???? I would say, "we a have a problem Houston" if something failed a BSE test.
mad cow disease.. bovine spogiform encephalopathy has a BSE test and of course. breeding soundness exam and him being a canadian might be interested in knowing which

Five bulls all failed a Breeding Soundness Exam?????? I agree with Knersie retest in 30 days (and I would throw the groceries at them) with a different vet.........and keep them in quarantine away from everything as much as humanly possible.

I guess you southerners just use different lingo ;-) . I think I would rename your BSE to maybe a "BT" :lol: Sorry for my confusion, I thought your bull had BSE, but some say I am full of BS.

my error also :oops: :oops: , just way too caught up in this BSE thing in Canada. :mad: Should have put a little more thought into it. AS for there semen test... give them a few weeks... breed a couple cows and clean them out.. then do another test.... i'll bet there is different results.

SaskHerf":15n3f4ud said:
my error also :oops: :oops: , just way too caught up in this BSE thing in Canada. :mad: Should have put a little more thought into it. AS for there semen test... give them a few weeks... breed a couple cows and clean them out.. then do another test.... i'll bet there is different results.
yep it would be a shame to condemn them over a technicality. if he likes them

It could be about 50 different reasons rangeing from management to genetics and everything in between. Something sounds kind of fishy if all 5 failed. With no papers and no real proof of where they actually came from, it throws up red flags to me. Maybe I am being to overly cautious, but I wont let just any bull in with my cows.

I think I would send them back to where I bought them from and start looking for a new source for bulls. Hopefully they where bought with the condition that they could pass a breeding soundness exam.

Good luck

Brian

Brandonm2":15z1grxa said:
Five bulls all failed a Breeding Soundness Exam?????? I agree with Knersie retest in 30 days (and I would throw the groceries at them) with a different vet.........and keep them in quarantine away from everything as much as humanly possible.
:cboy:

THG

THG":1hi1zxry said:
Brandonm2":1hi1zxry said:
Heck with the groceries, get rid of them, probably won't do you any good to get them back in shape, may take a chance and over feed them and then they may get foundered and then you have to take care of that problem. I would just stay away from DeShazer bulls, if I was the buyer.

THG

If I'm reading it correctly, they had tried DeShazer bulls in the past and this time bought some out of Canada.

To answer the question at hand, I think it'd be unlikely all 5 bulls would be unsound as well, unless there was a reason they were sold that far from home.

I don't know about sellers in TX, but I'd suggest Gregory Polled Herefords in Houstonia MO. They have great stock. Reasonable priced and are just great folks to deal with.

Well I think most folks know of the Star Lake herefords here in Oklahoma. They are really close to where I live, but the Flying "G" Ranch is a wonderful one also that raises top quality Herefords. I bought two bred heifers from Lotsie and Mike Spradling, and one of them has already produced an extremely fine looking bull calf. I cant wait till he grows up. His daddy was SHF Nashville 634E N102

Limomike":1b62body said:
Well I think most folks know of the Star Lake herefords here in Oklahoma. They are really close to where I live, but the Flying "G" Ranch is a wonderful one also that raises top quality Herefords. I bought two bred heifers from Lotsie and Mike Spradling, and one of them has already produced an extremely fine looking bull calf. I cant wait till he grows up. His daddy was SHF Nashville 634E N102

How many registered breeds do you have? Do you belong to all of the associations?

ha.. no not all of them. Just 3, and two of them are of the angus variety. I do have an agenda.

IF you are looking for some long yearlings or going two year olds Jeff Smith or S&S farms on this site has some out of SHF Marshal. IF you wanted to send a PM I could put you into contact with him. Kevin Schultz will have a yearling bull sell in March.

CPL":xd7ipdrq said:
What about Barber Ranch? I think they just had a sale though...

BKR is in McKinney, Texas. If I was looking for a bull that would work, I'd go there first.

Bull Lady,

BKR is Jim Reed's son and daughter, in case you didn't know.

Latest posts