Hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

showmomof2

Reaction score
I really like my hereford bull,but not getting black baldies out of the black cows like we hoped :( Just hope red baldies do as well at the sale lol

showmomof2":2pgx0qet said:
I really like my hereford bull,but not getting black baldies out of the black cows like we hoped :( Just hope red baldies do as well at the sale lol
They won't. They will be a few cents cheaper. I get a few red baldies out of my brangus cows with a herf bull. I fiqure it comes from the brahman side mostly.

They will be some dandy heifers. If we could keep them all I would be tickled to death. We could put together one heck of a set of commercial heifers. The mamas are good milkers and the bulls epds are good milk and growth. Really excited to see how they mature out.

i am averaging about 10 % red calves.but they are all white faced.

showmomof2":210qjrba said:

Keep track of which cows have red baldies; they are carrying the red recessive gene. If memory serves me correctly, you have a 50/50 chance of red when the black cow is red recessive. If the cow is not red recessive, all her offspring should be black.

This is not the bulls fault. Blame your cows, if you'd like to blame someone...

I'm sure someone will come behind me and correct me :D

Your right-just kinda funny-white cow/red calf;black cows/red calf lol. Can't wait to see what else pops up out there. They look good, anyway and they are alive and healthy.

cypressfarms":2probrrl said:
showmomof2":2probrrl said:

Keep track of which cows have red baldies; they are carrying the red recessive gene. If memory serves me correctly, you have a 50/50 chance of red when the black cow is red recessive. If the cow is not red recessive, all her offspring should be black.

This is not the bulls fault. Blame your cows, if you'd like to blame someone...

I'm sure someone will come behind me and correct me :D
correct

Make sure you are breeding your Hereford bull to cows that have dominant black breeding. We've sold several Hereford bulls to commercial breeders trying to breed for black baldies and some of them find that if you can't prove your black cows are out of Angus bulls that some of the cross breeding you get with black cattle that already have some "off" color is that you don't have a dominant black gene to guarantee a black baldly. Also new to Hereford genetics, in order to register purebred calves to a Hereford sire born after Jan 1, 2011 you have to have DNA testing done (http://www.hereford.org/static/files/fa ... edures.pdf) so if the breeder you buy from has gone the extra mile and done this you will know if the bull carries the diluter gene (bull could throw some grey calves when bred to black cows.)

Regardless, any commercial breeder looking to get more bang for their buck should look into buying a Hereford bull to breed to their black cows to obtain the benefit of the heterosis hybrid vigor you get with black baldy cattle.

I never knew that there was a diluter gene in Herefords. I guess you learn something every day!

3waycross":3ihu7zai said:
I never knew that there was a diluter gene in Herefords. I guess you learn something every day!

I actually just learned about it recently myself when a consignor to a sale had to disclose it on a bull they had DNA testing done on. If you read on page 2 of the link I posted there are all kinds of traits you can find out on a Hereford bull that has had DNA genotype done such as homozygous polled which is great to know if you want to make sure a recessive horned gene doesn't show up in offspring. We breed registered Polled Herefords and have been paying close attention to that one lately when selecting AI sires as we have a few Polled dams that have a horn gene somewhere back in their pedigree and if you match them up with just the right bull that has a horn gene somewhere in theirs too we've had a few horned calves. At this point with the polled and horned Herefords being a single organization it's not quite as big of deal anymore when it comes to marketing your cattle as it used to be but when you advertised yourself as a polled breeder it's something that some will pay attention to as you don't want customers coming back upset the bull you sold them is throwing more horned calves than they like

SPH":36z6mapr said:
3waycross":36z6mapr said:

I actually just learned about it recently myself when a consignor to a sale had to disclose it on a bull they had DNA testing done on. If you read on page 2 of the link I posted there are all kinds of traits you can find out on a Hereford bull that has had DNA genotype done such as homozygous polled which is great to know if you want to make sure a recessive horned gene doesn't show up in offspring. We breed registered Polled Herefords and have been paying close attention to that one lately when selecting AI sires as we have a few Polled dams that have a horn gene somewhere back in their pedigree and if you match them up with just the right bull that has a horn gene somewhere in theirs too we've had a few horned calves. At this point with the polled and horned Herefords being a single organization it's not quite as big of deal anymore when it comes to marketing your cattle as it used to be but when you advertised yourself as a polled breeder it's something that some will pay attention to as you don't want customers coming back upset the bull you sold them is throwing more horned calves than they like

You sure that gene isn't a Simmenthal in the woodpile? :shock: :shock: :shock: :cowboy:

Thats has happened before they tell me 3way. As a matter a fact i knew at least one breeder the did that and got caught. Might surprise SPH to know that other breeds do DNA to. homozygous polled is the least important to me.

3waycross":2jypdqf8 said:
SPH":2jypdqf8 said:
3waycross":2jypdqf8 said:

You sure that gene isn't a Simmenthal in the woodpile? :shock: :shock: :shock: :cowboy:

Ever heard of Titan 23D?

Herefords are not supposed to have a diluter gene and it's considered a genetic defect.

Oh well, they are good calves and are growing well! Like I said earlier, the heifers would make someone a heck of a good set of cows. The bull is a grandson of P606, out of Logic and the cows are all pretty heavy milkers. As for the soon to be steers, they may not be black, but it's looking like there will be alot of pounds there. Really not a dud in the bunch, so far. We have 3 more that can go any day now-anxious to see what they come up with (black eared cow, black baldie and a red cow)!

I've always been one to use EPD's when making breeding decisions and yeah I am aware that other breeds have been doing DNA testing too but glad the Herefords finally started requiring it too as it just adds some more value when studying genetics when looking for new bloodlines to put in the program. We prefer polled genetics in our purebred herd and we have a few dams that have a horn gene a few generations back in their pedigree that we have to be careful who we breed them too as we've had some horned calves out of certain sires. It's not the end of the world, just paste them as calves but horn gene is not something we prefer to keep in the herd if we can avoid it. Most of our bull buyers usually don't care but it can be a deal breaker with some potential buyers.

Showmomof2: we have used Logic some in our herd and had some nice calves of him. Sold a bull and a couple heifers and the 2 females we kept milk very well. Right now we are using Revolution 4R a lot and really like the calves we have out of him, probably even going to keep a yearling bull we have of his out of one of the Logic dams. Going to try an On Target son this this year too that we're hearing some great things about.

Latest posts