Hereford bull on 3 year old cows

Help Support CattleToday:

stockbub

Reaction score
OK, I bought a hereford bull to put on my brangus cattle. He is pretty large and boxy, but when I went to check his EPD's, they were not on Herfords Website. Therefore, I do not know what his EPD's are. He is registered and they have that but no other data. I kept my brangus bulls which have low birth weights. Will the 3 and 4 year old Brangus cows have any difficultly in calving or should I really just pay attention to the heifers, or make sure the heifers are with the Brangus bulls. You just hear stories about C sections and so forth.

Bubba

What is his registration number? Or who's his sire/dam?

Sometimes that can be just as helpful as estimated EPDs (that are low accuracy anyway).

Bull is CRC L1 DOMINO 5194 and Dame is RW MISS L1 DOM 5682. It says it is a Pedigree.

Looking at the cattle in his pedigree, I'd say you wouldn't have any problem with calving in the Brangus cows for sure. You probably wouldn't have any problem with heifers either - if you're calving them out at 2+ - but I'd want to see some calves from the bull himself before I'd state that with complete confidence. I'd probably err on the side of caution and stick with the Brangus bulls on the heifers for a year until you see some calves. The bull should be around Hereford breed average for BW EPDs, but I'd put a lot more stock in what his own actual BW was and what the breeder said about that and him than the EPDs themselves.

George

You will not get epd's as the bull was bought from a pedigree breeder versus a TPR breeder. This is a pyramid scheme IMO that the bunch in Kansas City have come up with to collect more money while sitting on their ass. I have been in the association a long time and this is my last year to be nickel and dimed to death. Love the breed hate the association.
In the beginning you didn't have to be a member and could register your animals at a higher fee and you got your EPD's
Then a few years back the scheme started with collecting more data to compete with the Angus which was fine.
It has been going straight downhill ever since.
You have to be a member and pay dues,
You have to pay a fee for every cow in inventory,
You have to pay for herd bulls in inventory,
Starting this year all bulls sold had to have DNA.
The AHA has turned this into a paper work nightmare IMO.
As of this year what cows I didn't sell I dropped all but 2 out of my herd inventory, both will be flushed and embryo transfer cows.
I have previous buyers that can not believe some of the cows I have dropped from inventory. I figured before the AHA started all this :bs: I was making 250 bucks a bull and having to put up with the hatefull beast. A lot of yearling bulls want to fight, dig holes, beller and fight some more.
This gives me only two dams to keep up with and I can AI them to sexed semen to bulls I choose. The cost is going up.
Starting in Nov. for the first time in my life there is not a Hereford bull standing in my pasture I going back commercial with the exception of those couple of girls. I have niche market for bulls I intend to keep supplying.
I will continue to run a Hereford cow as I feel only the Tiger, Brimmer and Brangus thrive as well here and I prefer the Hereford cow .
As you might have guessed from the above rant the AHA has given me a case of the RED ASS
As George stated earlier you got a good animal with good bloodlines if you study up on your crossbreeding placing Hereford over Brangus will result in a 5% weight reduction in your calves and increased weaning rate of 15 % overall.

Caustic Burno":18tmmdou said:

Only bulls that will be used to sire registered calves will need DNA on profile.

From the AHA, FAQ:

"Will every bull calf that is registered be required to have a DNA profile on file?
No. This is the most misunderstood fact of the new policy. Only bulls that will become herd sires and thereby sire registered calves will be required to be DNA profiled"

"What about the range bulls I'm selling to commercial cattlemen?
Range bulls will not be required to be tested if they are simply going into a commercial herd. However, if that range bull is pulled out of a commercial herd and used as a sire to produce registered progeny, then he will be required to be DNA profiled."

http://www.hereford.org/userfiles/DNA_Q&A.pdf

I'm not trying to be funny CB, but what do you expect?

Obviously, you don't want just about everyone selling 'pedigreed hereford' bulls and there is no other way of preventing this.

Again that doesn't seem too much too ask, you want to keep only the best cows registered, we really don't need more inferior registered cows.

Otherwise just about anyone can claim a calf to be sired by your bull.

Only bulls used to sire registered calves, its been like that here for a few years now, its a good thing embrace it!

Haven't you got an online system where you do your birth notifications, performance data, etc?

Lets not be whinging poms all the time, by all means give them helI when they screw up, nominate your own candidates for the board and vote them on and then give them helI if they don't look after your interests.

KNERSIE":272820x0 said:
I'm not trying to be funny CB, but what do you expect?

Obviously, you don't want just about everyone selling 'pedigreed hereford' bulls and there is no other way of preventing this.

Again that doesn't seem too much too ask, you want to keep only the best cows registered, we really don't need more inferior registered cows.

Otherwise just about anyone can claim a calf to be sired by your bull.

Only bulls used to sire registered calves, its been like that here for a few years now, its a good thing embrace it!

Haven't you got an online system where you do your birth notifications, performance data, etc?

Lets not be whinging poms all the time, by all means give them helI when they screw up, nominate your own candidates for the board and vote them on and then give them helI if they don't look after your interests.

Let me put in plain East Texan the association sucks!!!! The system worked fine for years until they figured a way to get more money. This is a shell game at best IMO . There are several breeders in the area that have left and I am not far behind. Neighbor bought one of the oldest herds in Texas and said to heck with all this and has put a Gel. bull on them. You used not have to pay to have your cows in the herd or your bull you paid to register the calf if it was quality. You didn't have to put your calves in a calfing season, and if the cow went past June had to either pay to transfer seasons or lie on birthdate.
A reputable breeder shouldn't be registering more than 20% of his calf crop the rest are salebarn fodder, but I have to pay to keep a cow in the herd that I hauled the calf to the salebarn. Thats richer than three feet up a bulls ass. The association does absolutely nothing to promote the breed and I mean nothing. When you are talking a 20 cent a pound hit at the salebarn on superior cattle and you talk to the association about putting some bucks in our area promoting the breed and you get blown off.
That really makes you have a warm fuzzy feeling towards them.

stockbub":22z8c9zn said:
OK, I bought a hereford bull to put on my brangus cattle. He is pretty large and boxy, but when I went to check his EPD's, they were not on Herfords Website. Therefore, I do not know what his EPD's are. He is registered and they have that but no other data. I kept my brangus bulls which have low birth weights. Will the 3 and 4 year old Brangus cows have any difficultly in calving or should I really just pay attention to the heifers, or make sure the heifers are with the Brangus bulls. You just hear stories about C sections and so forth.

Bubba
i doubt it would come to a C section anyway. are these brangus purebred??