Hereford bull calf, tell what you think

Help Support CattleToday:

those bull calves arnt what you need on your cows.it would take time an money to see if they would pan out.but i highly doubt they will pan out.you need a top end polled hereford bull to go on your cows.

Backtracking on the heterosis - any % continental crossed with british will give you the most heterosis compared to crossing X british with B british.
BTW - don't like the calf, or cow. Stictly from pic, if you HAD to pick, I'd go with the HH

Cow - that cow has a roached back and is hungry

She and her polled calf are both well below grade

Sire is good - but I do not see any of him in the progeny

I do not see this young bull amounting to more than steaks and burger

Horned calf - is he two years old??!!

If he is - my initial thought was pass him by as well - I thought was he was about 14 - 16 months.

In truth the pic does not do him any favours and I might change my mind with a few extras and some different angles.

However - he is better than your polled prospect - hands down better - if it is a dollar issue - go with him and work up a bit over the next couple of years - horns discussion coming probably - not as big a prob as you and so many folks seem to think.

Unless you plan to spend - you will see a difference in the quality in polled and horned bulls a lot - you get into higher end cattle the difference is far less. Run with the horns and you will still do better with his calves - mind you we have no idea that condition of the cattle he will be breeding.

Bez+

I am a small Herford breeder. I would be humiliated with my operation if I couldn't show a customer any better bull than that. I agree with the others. He is to feminine and post legged. Looks like his sire didn't pass on much. Not enough people pay attention to the dam. :nod: She is far more of the calf than we sometimes want to admit. Keep looking at Herford though, your calves deserve a white face. The horned calf ain't to bad. :)

I would have to see a black purebred Gelbvieh that is 97%, at best 92 to 94 i am guessing. To many going black to black to get homo black homo polled.

"I'm methodical in how I pick out bulls"
Really?? I would be very interested in hearing the 'methodical' protocols you employed to even consider this calf as a viable candidate as a breeding sire for your herd! Are you really sincere and serious in suggesting this calf as a Herd Sire? Or - are you being facetious? I will concur that his sire is an acceptable Beef Sire to use as a template for "Sire Selection", but to even imagine your considering a Herd Sire with a dam as unacceptable as this cow - that you pictured here - makes your Herd Sire selection "methods" very suspect!

Please "itemize" your selection routines and protocols here so that your decision making agenda is more understandable and perhaps we can direct your thinking to a more desirable and profitable agenda. Many responders to this thread have been rather harsh in their opinions of the bull's Dam, but, in My Opinion - not discriminating enough!

DOC HARRIS

Red Bull Breeder":1i0g6t06 said:
I would have to see a black purebred Gelbvieh that is 97%, at best 92 to 94 i am guessing. To many going black to black to get homo black homo polled.

Since I assume you are quoting me I will apologize. You are correct the vast majority of BLK purebred GV's are 94%.

I still have a hard time believing that 3% or 6% will make squat for difference where heterosis is concerned.

If you have a link to some emperical data that proves it I would be very interested in seeing it.

Not a nit picking 3way. Just most purebred blacks of any breed other than angus get bred purebred to purebred trying for homo black and homo polled very few increase their percentage. Includes Limis. Any way the herford bull cypress was showing ain't much i don't think.

DOC HARRIS":3g32bz59 said:
"I'm methodical in how I pick out bulls"
Really?? I would be very interested in hearing the 'methodical' protocols you employed to even consider this calf as a viable candidate as a breeding sire for your herd!
DOC HARRIS

Doc, put your guns back in the holster. If you read the whole thread you'd see a different story. I've been looking for bulls, and determined to take my time and get a good one or two for my cows. I've spent a lot of time on the phone and visiting farms looking at bulls. One "seedstock" farm in particular had hereford weanlings. When I talked to the owner by phone, she made the bull calves sound so great. I asked her to e-mail me some pics of what she had as bull prospects. She sent pics of three calves, all of which should be steers in my opinion. I put a pic of the best one up at the start of this thread. Here's a second one she sent me that can best be described as "post legged yuck".
37sbullcalf.jpg

This past Saturday I went out to look at a group of six simmi bulls that were 1 1/2 to 2 years old. Same story. On the phone the guy spouted great names in the bulls' pedigree, and made the bulls sound top of the line. Five of the six were really sorry looking, and the only one that might be average looked sick, breathing hard and wouldn't get/stand up.

So the purpose of the thread - if that's what your after - was more to vent a little at the so called "seedstock" breeders that waste my time. I'll never consider buying any stock from either of these people purely because they wasted my time mis-representing their stock. I drove over 60 miles Saturday to look at steers. Well either they mis-represented or are extremely barn blind. So after looking at way too many bulls, I'm worried about the cattle industry's future if "herd prospects" like what I've been seeing are allowed to breed.

Just out of curiosity...

what does a weanling bull prospect like those herefords sell for?

KNERSIE":114xmb6s said:
Just out of curiosity...

what does a weanling bull prospect like those herefords sell for?

$800. You get what you pay for I guess. Although over the last several weeks I've looked at bulls that were anywhere from $1000 to $3000, and I can't say that the quality always matches the price. All of the calves that you've posted look better than any of the herefords I've seen so far - but I'll be persistant and keep searching. I really don't need a bull to work until late winter, and it's looking like I'll need all of that time to find a good one.

Well if you don't mind horns and a little road trip to Colorado. Ned Jr. has some mighty fine critters.

cypressfarms-

Doc, put your guns back in the holster. If you read the whole thread you'd see a different story
-

Well, I have been known to make an AZZ out of myself in the past, and I certainly did this time!! GREAT BIG TIME!!

I read the FIRST post that you wrote, and immediately jumped to the wrong conclusions! I APOLOGIZE to you, and readily admit my error! When I read your post and saw the Dam, I looked in a mirror and said to myself "What the heck is wrong with cypress? He knows better than this!" I didn't read ANY of the rest of the posts until ten minutes ago! STUPID! I just now looked in the same mirror and said to the mirror "What the heck is the matter with YOU!?" The operative answer is "STUPID!"

My FAITH in you has been re-established and I am sorry for a dumbAZZ mistake! . . .and I have not told my dear wife, Ruthie! She would NOT let me forget it! Like the current TV Commercial about a little dog trying to hide his beef bone says - "Oh, worry, worry, worra!" I hope that you will accept my regrets. - - - Worra - worra - worra!

DOC HARRIS

Cypressfarms,
I understand your pain. I have gotten so angry when I used to go driving for miles and miles looking for a GOOD gaited horse. The owner's will talk them up hoping you don't know squat. You ride out to see them, ride them, check them and you spent all Saturday looking at other's junk. I haven't yet had enough cattle or really enough need, since ours are terminal and we are small, to do as you are doing. But I assure you I have thought the same thing about the quality of cattle and horses being bred these days.

Doc,

We are both "big boys", mistakes happen - by everyone - please don't beat yourself up; you've provided many, many extremely great posts and have a direct approach to handling situations that I admire. No problem whatsoever, glad it's cleared up.

Latest posts