hereford bull and heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
Paternal halfsibs, both19 months old, heifer was bred to this bull.

IMG_7151.jpg

IMG_7132.jpg

Dylan Biggs":1sbdrgln said:
Neither of them are lacking condition. :D

I hope not, I am fattening them both for a show. The heifer is there, but the bull has a ways to go yet. He was used heavily as a 15 month old on very marginal grazing, settled 25 out of 27 in two months and the two that he didn't settle were two late calvers and were very thin at the time.

KNERSIE":qhlathwf said:
Dylan Biggs":qhlathwf said:
Neither of them are lacking condition. :D

I hope not, I am fattening them both for a show. The heifer is there, but the bull has a ways to go yet. He was used heavily as a 15 month old on very marginal grazing, settled 25 out of 27 in two months and the two that he didn't settle were two late calvers and were very thin at the time.

What is your fattening ration?

They graze during the day and at night they are drylotted in a cafeteria system where there is free choice straw and free choice corn/alfalfa mix. 500kg corn, 350 kg alfalfa and 160 kg molasses meal all milled together through a hammermill.

They have been on feed since 6 December.

Hubby's mouth fell open. :lol2:
Nice looking pair there. Can hardly wait to see the calf.

How about some pics of them broadside?

That's a hell of a pair. Do either of them have a COI other than zero? I assume not because you're crunching on their sire pretty hard, but I thought I'd ask.

Good luck in the show ring, and at calving time.

Back in "The Good Old Days" we use to joke that show cattle had to eat in the dark. Before daylight-after dark (and maybe at noon) but this is a new approach to me. We had to try to keep them as cool as we could in the summer too. We kept them in in daytime and out at night. I think it is summer down your way now- must not be that hot. How much do they eat of the corn alfalfa mix per day? Cattle sure look good and it must work for you but that much corn in a breeding cattle ration makes me nervous.

Maybe it's a predator thing? Kinda like don't let your daughters out after dark!!

Use to warn us when we went to Baton Rouge not to tie our Spr. Heifer Calf on the end in the tie-out as the alligators might get her.

Why a spring heifer? Wouldn't think an alligator would be that picky??

Bite size and tender I suppose. Had more respect if you put 2 yr. old bull on the end. Least that was the theory and it must have worked cause we did not lose any.

That's what I figured. My humor attempts usually don't work as well as Larry the Cable Guy!!
Mike, when were you in Baton rouge?

A long, long time ago. 1973. Last ROM Champion I ever had. I feel tired think I will go have a nap.
Heard I lost a dear friend today from that era. Don't know if it is true but from a pretty good source. I can't find it in the online papers so maybe it is not correct.

1914 Hereford":1zu29cgx said:
Back in "The Good Old Days" we use to joke that show cattle had to eat in the dark. Before daylight-after dark (and maybe at noon) but this is a new approach to me. We had to try to keep them as cool as we could in the summer too. We kept them in in daytime and out at night. I think it is summer down your way now- must not be that hot. How much do they eat of the corn alfalfa mix per day? Cattle sure look good and it must work for you but that much corn in a breeding cattle ration makes me nervous.

I use this approach because of the heat, its much cooler in a shady pasture than on the black sand of the drylot. The drylot or my feedlot as I like to call it is still open and after the fire I lost just about all my shade there, they simply don't eat during the day because of the heat reflecting from the sand.

The corn in the mix won't hurt a thing given the short periods I feed it before a show, more so because there is plenty of very stemmy alfalfa in the mix as well as the straw of the cafeteria system. Usually I'd just supplement the showstring on pasture for shows this time of the year, but because of the ongoing drought I simply don't have the pasture to do that.

Latest posts