hereford bull and heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE":3h9x9dkl said:
Dylan Biggs":3h9x9dkl said:
Neither of them are lacking condition. :D

I hope not, I am fattening them both for a show. The heifer is there, but the bull has a ways to go yet. He was used heavily as a 15 month old on very marginal grazing, settled 25 out of 27 in two months and the two that he didn't settle were two late calvers and were very thin at the time.

I just saw this post. He's in great shape for coming out of the breeding pasture 2 months ago, and settling 25 cows between 15 & 17 months of age.

Chris H":17glgyp2 said:
KNERSIE":17glgyp2 said:
Dylan Biggs":17glgyp2 said:
Neither of them are lacking condition. :D

I hope not, I am fattening them both for a show. The heifer is there, but the bull has a ways to go yet. He was used heavily as a 15 month old on very marginal grazing, settled 25 out of 27 in two months and the two that he didn't settle were two late calvers and were very thin at the time.

I just saw this post. He's in great shape for coming out of the breeding pasture 2 months ago, and settling 25 cows between 15 & 17 months of age.

He came out OK, but he gained A LOT since he came out at the end of November.

KNERSIE":adwpqrj7 said:
The corn in the mix won't hurt a thing given the short periods I feed it before a show, more so because there is plenty of very stemmy alfalfa in the mix as well as the straw of the cafeteria system. Usually I'd just supplement the showstring on pasture for shows this time of the year, but because of the ongoing drought I simply don't have the pasture to do that.

How long do they get this show ration?

2 months before a show, rest of the time it is whatever mother nature provides like the rest of both the commercial and registered herds

1914 Hereford":cgz2ezb3 said:
Use to warn us when we went to Baton Rouge not to tie our Spr. Heifer Calf on the end in the tie-out as the alligators might get her.

Someone was pulling your chain! If you went to a cattle show back then it would have been at the Parker Ag. Stadium (LSU"s basketball used to play in that same arena back before the Assembly Center was built - in the '70s); there is only one lake close to Parker - University lake, and there are no gators in there anywhere near big enough to eat a dog, let alone a calf/cow.

Knersie, as usual, you make me want to live closer to you; those are two fine looking herefords!

Latest posts