Hereford AI bulls - need help

Help Support CattleToday:

Moler is show string cattle bred to produce more show string cattle. I would stay away from him, this Moler, his sire Online etc if my goal were to produce commercial black baldies. A good bull to use if your kid wants to win a ribbon though. The early death does not scare me too much as I suspect that his high energy, high protein diet (to win shows) would shorten the life of most cattle if they ate that way for any length of time.

Brandonm22":34w8xn5p said:
Moler is show string cattle bred to produce more show string cattle. I would stay away from him, this Moler, his sire Online etc if my goal were to produce commercial black baldies. A good bull to use if your kid wants to win a ribbon though. The early death does not scare me too much as I suspect that his high energy, high protein diet (to win shows) would shorten the life of most cattle if they ate that way for any length of time.

Not looking for show cattle - I feel those are a joke as they hide flaws with tricks. I'd feel different if it was highly accurate and not dependant of who and how someone grooms your animal for the showring. I don't pay attention to them.

I do however, look for longevity - of course, it seems the faster they grow the earlier they "croak" lol

I do appreciate your input, looks like this is going to be harder than I thought! Like matching up Angus sires to the right girls - TIME CONSUMING!!! Gotta decide what traits I might be willing to give on to balance the rest.

Valerie

JHH":3rzu08ua said:
vclavin":3rzu08ua said:
As i'm running out of time for Spring Xbreeds, Select Sires reccommened this Hereford bull

http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... 114&id=167

I ordered him as I'm also ordering in Rito 6I6 for extra muscling in my girls. Gotta overcome Objective - LOL

Valerie

I like that bulls sire but dont really care for him.

You don't care for 6I6? May I ask the reason?
Valerie

Thanks for the bull info , I've printed it out for reference.

check out www.gene-vision.com and the BR Moler 101 bull, I have seen about 50 head of calves from him out of purebred angus cattle and they are great..... Great... great..

you have to email them for a sire directory... but he is a great polled hereford bull..

waylin":20sp6x35 said:
check out http://www.gene-vision.com and the BR Moler 101 bull, I have seen about 50 head of calves from him out of purebred angus cattle and they are great..... Great... great..

you have to email them for a sire directory... but he is a great polled hereford bull..

For some reason I am unable to open their catalog to view the bull, I see why you mention getting the catalog. Thanks and I'll request that catalog.

Valerie

vclavin":3f2m6diu said:
JHH":3f2m6diu said:
vclavin":3f2m6diu said:
As i'm running out of time for Spring Xbreeds, Select Sires reccommened this Hereford bull

http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... 114&id=167

I ordered him as I'm also ordering in Rito 6I6 for extra muscling in my girls. Gotta overcome Objective - LOL

Valerie

Valerie

Thanks for the bull info , I've printed it out for reference.

I meant the hereford bull you picked.

I like that bulls sire but dont really care for him.[/quote]

Valerie

Thanks for the bull info , I've printed it out for reference.[/quote]

I meant the hereford bull you picked.[/quote]

Sorry, may I ask the reason for disliking the hereford bull? I can use all the insight you can give. I know nothing about Herefords and their genetics.
Valerie

Valerie-

If you remember several months ago (December 11, 2009, to be exact) when I was communicating with you about these particular factors, I mentioned to you that ALL factors should be considered in "beef Selection" activities, and that it is imperative that you keep things "IN BALANCE" when selecting seedstock. And you are right - it is a necessary and time-consuming job to put ALL of the ducks in the correct order! The important factor in this protocol is that you know HOW to put them in order!

You might go back and review my suggestions to you last December. The information is STILL viable and important.

DOC HARRIS

I like 6I6 for his calving ease, disposition and udder quality of the daughters, but putting muscle in cattle is not his strong suit.

vclavin":1ddo32no said:

Valerie

Thanks for the bull info , I've printed it out for reference.[/quote]

I meant the hereford bull you picked.[/quote]

Sorry, may I ask the reason for disliking the hereford bull? I can use all the insight you can give. I know nothing about Herefords and their genetics.
Valerie[/quote]

Valerie I dont have any experience with either bull, so I shouldn't even say anything. I just said If I were to use an unproven low accuracy bull I would have used the other one. You said moderate milk a 30 isn't moderate to me but it has no accuracy so he may be fine. I think the bull I picked was high milk to. You said feet,butts, ect. I think the bull you picked came from a good sire but I dont think the butt is there on the bull you picked but he may throw calves that are very stout. I have never seen or used either bull so I shouldnt say anything, as I am a begginer and am learning every day. Hope he works great for you. Post pics next spring, Love them baldies.

Thanks, I just really running out of time - FAST! I should have done this months ago, no excuse except daddy's passing and family problems. Not to mention the fight with mud and calving, you know - LOL. Things have settled down a bit, now if the rain will slow too.
aI've not decided who to AI the Hereford to, if tis is not really a good, good bull then I will not try to use him on my classy registered (lol) till he proves himself on the crosses.
Valerie

Although I DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO THE ACCURACY OF THESE COMPARISONS AT ALL:

A plus 30 Milk EPD on a Hereford would equal about a plus 12 on Angus, which most Angus producers would consider moderate.

WichitaLineMan":31mchzaj said:
Although I DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO THE ACCURACY OF THESE COMPARISONS AT ALL:

A plus 30 Milk EPD on a Hereford would equal about a plus 12 on Angus, which most Angus producers would consider moderate.

I beleive you are right. didnt take in consideration the angus part.

I've bred a few hundred that way and haven't run into any troubles. We breed our black heifers Horned Hereford and our baldy heifers black. I think a plus 30 milk Hereford cow would milk a bit more than a plus 12 Angus no research to back that up but in either breed bulls that are in the teens EPD wise throw daughters with alot of milk.

Latest posts