Herd bull or hamburger (Hereford)

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris H":1uht29h6 said:
Bullbuyer":1uht29h6 said:
2400 !?!?!?! That picture ain't doin' him justice or somebody is waaaaayy OVER GUESSING his size.
Can we get a scaled weight on him when you move him ?
You caught me on that, I should have said he weighs 2400 when at top form. Right now he's transitioning from stockpiled fescue all winter to the better grass in the breeding pastures. He's down about 200 from his top weight. He's carrying enough flesh to be sleek over the rump, backbone, and into the shoulder, how much more do you want on a bull ready to see heavy use?

Birth weight...
EPD's versus Actual ... What throws a bigger calf, a bull from a herd with actual bw's of 90+ and has a BW epd of 1, or a bull from a herd with actual bw's of 75 and has a BW epd of 7? This bull was bred from cattle in the herd, and only used on cattle within the herd. Not much chance his EPD's will change, so this is a time when you need to know your cows.

He's definitely not perfect. But he complements the cows we use him on, and we are very happy with his daughters entering the cow herd this year.

if he compliments the cows you use him on and you're very happy with his offspring then why ask if he should be a herd bull or hamburger?...that is a no brainer...if you're having good calves from him then keep him...why would you sell a bull that is giving you good calves?...from my first look at him...I thought he should be hamburger for sure but it's all about the calves you're getting from him...you said you're very happy with them so keep the bull

topsquar":2ipu06q2 said:
hamburger :shock: look at how long those legs are looks like a hereford/chianina :shock: long legs no beef maybe fresian/hereford, maybe a mcdonalds quarter pounder on the way with an upsized coke to wash the bone down :roll: maybe a bull to use on really short cows with no legs, where do you people buy these bulls from? :( maybe to many discount barns around selling some 10 ha ranch prize bull that has been creep feed all its life and with a claim to be the best hereford bull in the US of A with chia/maine/simm/angus/braun/bram/pied/tarentaise in its genetics / hereford purebred and gauranteed/ lol :idea: ;-) :D
maybe its the new improved long legged/tall hereford that has been developed to compete with the all new improved black hereford :lol: :lol: .maybe with longer legs you can spend more time shampoo and fluffing up the fure on them for the club calf seen :cboy: :cboy:
topsquar - It seems to me that ever since you logged on to this Forum, you have had a "Bone in your Nose" for American Ranchers, American ways of ranching, American Cattle, and America in general. If you are as opposed to the American methods and cattle ranching technics as you portray that your are - - why don't you just sign off and don't frustrate yourself any longer with these poor cattle managers and breeders that you don't seem to like or care for in the first place?? If your Australian Ranchers and ways of Ranching are so much more Superior than ours are - - - start your own Australian Cattle Mobs Instruction Forum, and tell your Aussie Friends how to do it all! They would probably appreciate your insight and sagacity and sarcasm as it is deserved.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2lq7sgc9 said:
topsquar":2lq7sgc9 said:
hamburger :shock: look at how long those legs are looks like a hereford/chianina :shock: long legs no beef maybe fresian/hereford, maybe a mcdonalds quarter pounder on the way with an upsized coke to wash the bone down :roll: maybe a bull to use on really short cows with no legs, where do you people buy these bulls from? :( maybe to many discount barns around selling some 10 ha ranch prize bull that has been creep feed all its life and with a claim to be the best hereford bull in the US of A with chia/maine/simm/angus/braun/bram/pied/tarentaise in its genetics / hereford purebred and gauranteed/ lol :idea: ;-) :D
maybe its the new improved long legged/tall hereford that has been developed to compete with the all new improved black hereford :lol: :lol: .maybe with longer legs you can spend more time shampoo and fluffing up the fure on them for the club calf seen :cboy: :cboy:
topsquar - It seems to me that ever since you logged on to this Forum, you have had a "Bone in your Nose" for American Ranchers, American ways of ranching, American Cattle, and America in general. If you are as opposed to the American methods and cattle ranching technics as you portray that your are - - why don't you just sign off and don't frustrate yourself any longer with these poor cattle managers and breeders that you don't seem to like or care for in the first place?? If your Australian Ranchers and ways of Ranching are so much more Superior than ours are - - - start your own Australian Cattle Mobs Instruction Forum, and tell your Aussie Friends how to do it all! They would probably appreciate your insight and sagacity and sarcasm as it is deserved.

I did not say Australian ranches where better? neither do I have any problems with American ranches. But after reading your post it looks like you have a problem with Australian ranchers or you are having a bad day. I have given good complements and some negative compliments about some cattle photos. I think you may need to read your post and think about what you say next time. have a nice day.
DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":23eopx4u said:
If you are as opposed to the American methods and cattle ranching technics as you portray that your are - - why don't you just sign off and don't frustrate yourself any longer with these poor cattle managers and breeders that you don't seem to like or care for in the first place?? If your Australian Ranchers and ways of Ranching are so much more Superior than ours are - - - start your own Australian Cattle Mobs Instruction Forum, and tell your Aussie Friends how to do it all! They would probably appreciate your insight and sagacity and sarcasm as it is deserved.

DOC HARRIS
DOC HARRIS
You said what has been needing to be said for a long time. I just hope that topsquar takes your advice and stays off the Cattle Today Board.

Latest posts