Help

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter

Reaction score
Ok folks I need some imput. I need to park my old 2003 Dodge Dually. Need something good on gas, travel highway miles mainly. My problem is I got a bad back, I cant fold up and back into those cars that get good gas milage. Looking at the Colorado and Ranger trucks, but am open to all suggestions, and if you have one of the afore mentioned, what kind of gas milage are you getting.

My kid has a Toyota tacoma. I would buy that any day beofre a Colorado or a Ranger. Mileage is decent. Low 20's They run-for-freakin-ever. and they hold their value,
and they are made here.

I've had 2 Rangers. The first one at 185k miles I ran into the back of a 2 year old full size chevy on some slickery stuff. Bent the bumper on the ranger and pushed the bed a couple of inches into the cab of the chevy, totaled the chevy. The one I have now is pretty new, only 160k miles. Pulled a full size 4wd dodge pulling a trailer up a muddy road a couplew of months ago. When this one gives up the ghost I have no idea what I'll replace it with.

The Toyota will be better on gas, last longer and be a better ride than the ranger,

But do you need a truck, there is the VW Touareg diesel and the Range Rover Evoque that will give really good millage,

Red Bull Breeder":ubr84sha said:
The new f150 fords do a little better than 20 mpg just a running the road Houston and ride nice for the bad back folks.

Won't argue that. I just thought he wanted something in the next size down.

BTW I have a buddy who has been driving the Tacoma sized trucks for work which is almost all hiway miles and he is avg over 350,000 miles on the last 3.

3waycross":2medeiav said:
Red Bull Breeder":2medeiav said:
The new f150 fords do a little better than 20 mpg just a running the road Houston and ride nice for the bad back folks.

BTW I have a buddy who has been driving the Tacoma sized trucks for work which is almost all hiway miles and he is avg over 350,000 miles on the last 3.
If he's looking at new it seems that the F150 is a better deal for the money then a Ranger. They discount them but don;t seem to with the Rangers

dun":2ermtdwe said:
3waycross":2ermtdwe said:
Red Bull Breeder":2ermtdwe said:

If he's looking at new it seems that the F150 is a better deal for the money then a Ranger. They discount them but don;t seem to with the Rangers
Gas mileage is the same or better on the 1/2T trucks, as the small trucks now. As far as back issues go you don't want a small truck!

It's all about gas miliage and being able to get in it. I'm getting 21 with this dually and the best I can find is low 20's with trucks half that size and two less tires on the road

houstoncutter":3m7ullwf said:
It's all about gas miliage and being able to get in it. I'm getting 21 with this dually and the best I can find is low 20's with trucks half that size and two less tires on the road
The new Ford Explorer gets 28 HWY in the Eco boost and are quite roomy inside. Will probably be the wife's next ride.

Just bought an 05 Chevy 1500 ext.cab, plain jane v-6/auto. Have been averaging 17-18 hwy/city. Got best of 24 on straight hwy, cruise on 70..that was trying to get good mpg trip. I traded a 96 Tacoma ext cab,2.4 ltr/5spd in on it, got mid 20's on hwy....best truck I have had.I beat the snot out of it, had 270k and still ran like a champ, just needed suspension,clutch,paint etc
Both trucks easy to get into...I'm 6' and 300 lbs

colorado's good truck but thay aint a dimes difference in fuel milage with it, as full size .. if im gonna sacrifice on size it better make up for it in fuel milage

Would a small suv fit the bill for you? If so you might look at a something around the size of a Ford Escape. I drive an 03 Escape back and forth to work and get around 24 mpg and is plenty comfortable to me. I have borrowed a Tacoma from time to time and the seat feels like a church pew to me.

Latest posts