help?!?!?!?!?!?!

Help Support CattleToday:

bcarty

Reaction score
Just needing some numbers from some people who know. I am managing some recip cows for an angus breeder here in MO and currently I own all the recip cows, he implants them and then pays me for the calf. He is talking like he wants to buy some more recips and pay me to take care of them. They would be his cows and he would take care of all the recip costs, and I would manage them right along with my other recip cows. He asked me what I would need to keep say 20 cows for him on my place. I know what my costs are on my place for my cows, but I have no idea what to say to him. If I do this I would like to make some money at it, not just cover costs. What are some thoughts and figures from people who have done this type of thing.

bcarty":2n627d7r said:
Just needing some numbers from some people who know. I am managing some recip cows for an angus breeder here in MO and currently I own all the recip cows, he implants them and then pays me for the calf. He is talking like he wants to buy some more recips and pay me to take care of them. They would be his cows and he would take care of all the recip costs, and I would manage them right along with my other recip cows. He asked me what I would need to keep say 20 cows for him on my place. I know what my costs are on my place for my cows, but I have no idea what to say to him. If I do this I would like to make some money at it, not just cover costs. What are some thoughts and figures from people who have done this type of thing.

I have no knowledge of recip cattle but I do have some business sense and I think you may have most of the solution already in hand by knowing what YOUR costs are to perform the same job the breeder would like you to do. Talley-up those costs per cow and add a mark-up percentage. Be sure to account for the use of your land and additional wear and tear to any equipment and facilities. What would be a fair mark-up over all the costs? 30% - to pay you for your time and particularly, your expertise in this area. The breeder obviously likes what your doing! Good luck!

novatech":if3rjgil said:
Dont't forget about insurance. A dead pregnant recep. could end up costing you a bundle.

I would make the breeder responsible for that, Novatech. That's a good point though. The last thing the caretaker wants is all the liability.

I checked into a custom grazing contract and this fellow was in SE Iowa and he wanted a $1.20/hd per day for a year. He furnished mineral and winter feed.

I have one large pasture that is approx. 8 acres. It's too much grass for 2 horses. I just can't safely let them vacuum up grass for 14 hours each day. The grass is thick! Bringing the horses off the grass and onto to the dirt paddocks each day after 4 hours or so isn't always possible since I work.

One thought was to divide the large area into "small" paddocks with temporary fencing. Let them graze down a small area. How small? However, that leads to one other problem. I have no way to get water out to the furthest areas.

Can any of you share tips on how I might tackle this issue. My horses are off grass now and I have the winter to plan this out but I am stumped on how to do this.

Latest posts