HELP!!

Help Support CattleToday:

cowkeeper

Reaction score
I just went out to check on a calving heifer. It's almost midnight. A yearling heifer in the next pen, who was fine an hour ago, it in difficulty with her breathing, mouth open and foamy. It is almost like a cud has gone the wrong way. She had a similar episode about a month ago, without the mouth open, just very rapid breathing. At that time I took her temp and gave her a shot of LA, but as she had been fine before and was fine soon after, I figured the other (bossy) heifer in the pen had hurt her.
This heifer is in fine shape, no other issues. During the winter they undid a (sisal) twine that was holding the water bucket, and I didnt find it and was worried someone had eaten it.
Any ideas, anyone??

What was her temp at the last episode, what is it now ? I don't think one piece of twine would cause a problem .

Larry

Hi, Temp was (and is now) normal. I was just covering my basis the first time. This is a gorgeous heifer, shiny and alert and eating well usually. Poo is normal, no discharges. Everything A-one, except these episodes.

I've got some Bloat-aid on hand, but I was reluctant to try it, in case it went the wrong way, with her breathing/swallowing difficulty. They have been eating s really nice quality alfalfa mix hay, which I mix with some coarser grassy hay. Not on pasture.
(Edited at 1.40am) She looks a little better. Gave her a dose of Bloat-aid . Will check in half hour and give her a bit more. Thanks Larry!! What a great forum and what great people!!!

The heifer is fine this morning and cudding. Her poop when she did one was like marshmallow size bits. It took a few hours to resolve and does seem to have been a bloat. I recently got the really super alfalfa-mix hay and I alternate flakes with some older grassier stuff. I never knew they could bloat on hay. Thanks again Larry!

It is very unusual to be able to buy hay or this quality. I am pretty careful with feed changes, and was feeding it with older grassy hay too. My winter hay was coarser and not very green so I was giving a little mixed grain too. This is new to me, and I've had livestock for 35 years, and cows for ten. Always thought it was new spring lush pasture, and made sure they never went out hungry, and that there was dry feed available too. Thanks for the info! Just lucky I was out in the night checking the one who was going to calve.

Latest posts