Help!!!!!!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Daisy452

Reaction score
I was cleaning out my 6 month old heifer's pen when i noticeded what looked like a worm in her poop. I thought oh great, she has worms, but i used my rake and shifted it around it wasnt worms, its the color of earthwoms, long and goeey. but pulled apart, so i knew it wasnt worms. She hasnt been sick lately either, she got into a black trash bag and ate some of it, and previsouly at a different house got into (I think) dog food. So if you have any ideas please tell me. Thank You.

Daisy452":27ot7jq2 said:
I was cleaning out my 6 month old heifer's pen when i noticeded what looked like a worm in her poop. I thought oh great, she has worms, but i used my rake and shifted it around it wasnt worms, its the color of earthwoms, long and goeey. but pulled apart, so i knew it wasnt worms. She hasnt been sick lately either, she got into a black trash bag and ate some of it, and previsouly at a different house got into (I think) dog food. So if you have any ideas please tell me. Thank You.

If she is alive, kicking, eating and drinking I think I would just carry on with life.

Dog food is a prohibited feed for cattle - you might consider keeping it away from her if she shows a propensity for eating it.

Bez>

Dog food is a prohibited feed for cattle

wow realy?? We had a cow that would come in for milking and everytime she would head straight for the bag of dog food, she had to have a bite before she would go in her stall. It didnt seem to hurt her she kept on milking until we sold her with the rest of the herd.

funky 4-Her":1mt65xyh said:

wow realy?? We had a cow that would come in for milking and everytime she would head straight for the bag of dog food, she had to have a bite before she would go in her stall. It didnt seem to hurt her she kept on milking until we sold her with the rest of the herd.

Cab you spell BSE? Many of the prohibited parts from cattle go into dog food. You don;t think that they use beef that is useable for human consumption in the stuff do you?

dun

funky 4-Her":33p9icm4 said:

It is this type of comment that makes me realize cattle folks have a long way to go in understanding basic health along with proper feeding issues - and by a dairy person to boot. :roll:

Bez>

It is this type of comment that makes me realize cattle folks have a long way to go in understanding basic health along with proper feeding issues - and by a dairy person to boot.

Bez>

That is a scary thought. I wonder how many cattle feeders and producers would actually feed dog food on purpose.

we didnt feed it on purpose... i told my dad not to let her at it, but he never did anything about it, finally i gave up on chaging his mind and moved the bag myself

funky 4-Her":2g2s90ne said:
we didnt feed it on purpose... i told my dad not to let her at it, but he never did anything about it, finally i gave up on chaging his mind and moved the bag myself

I know you didn't feed it on purpose, but I wonder if there are people whowould feed dog food on purpose.

dun":r7exzijb said:
funky 4-Her":r7exzijb said:

Cab you spell BSE? Many of the prohibited parts from cattle go into dog food. You don;t think that they use beef that is useable for human consumption in the stuff do you?

dun
My gosh!! Some people eat it :!: I'm sure they have no idea. :roll:

Bez>":3qw00gjc said:
Daisy452":3qw00gjc said:

If she is alive, kicking, eating and drinking I think I would just carry on with life.

Dog food is a prohibited feed for cattle - you might consider keeping it away from her if she shows a propensity for eating it.

Bez>

I dont feed her dog food, (mad cow disease) she accidently broke out of my friends pen and got into their dog food. She seems happy and undisturbed.

L Weir":2axyqviv said:
It is this type of comment that makes me realize cattle folks have a long way to go in understanding basic health along with proper feeding issues - and by a dairy person to boot.

Bez>

That is a scary thought. I wonder how many cattle feeders and producers would actually feed dog food on purpose.

Many people do feed dog food on purpose (its cheaper they say) but the only problem is that it can cause mad cow disease. There wer three cases of it no that long ago, but the cattle came from canada, so know its banned as a feed for cattle. if you know anyone that does feed it, its dangerrous to the cattle, a little bit like my heifer go into is ok but to feed it regularly instead of regular feed if wrong.

Daisy452":13nn3hqk said:
L Weir":13nn3hqk said:

Bez>

Many people do feed dog food on purpose (its cheaper they say) but the only problem is that it can cause mad cow disease. There wer three cases of it no that long ago, but the cattle came from canada, so know its banned as a feed for cattle. if you know anyone that does feed it, its dangerrous to the cattle, a little bit like my heifer go into is ok but to feed it regularly instead of regular feed if wrong.

Well you know those cattle in Canada are all diseased - there is none in the U.S. of A. - never has been and never will be.

The above was stated tongue in cheek - and you info is wrong - however, I am not in the mood to provide the details - you can - if interested - look it up yourself. Otherwise continue as you believe - it will not make a great deal of difference in my life or yours.

Bez>

How the he!! can dog feed be cheaper than grass?Stupidity is no excuse and this whole post makes my skin crawl :mad: .I suggest your pick up a few books on what and what not to feed cows.And by the way even a little dog food is way to much cow are herbivores and any animal protein is forbidden.Some people need to get a clue or we will never be a BSE free industry.I think with attitudes like this maybe more testing should be done and if you break the rules what about high fines or even jail?Some people have no business even being in the business.Poor cows that have to eat that crap.

hillsdown":5r4id367 said:
How the he!! can dog feed be cheaper than grass?Stupidity is no excuse and this whole post makes my skin crawl :mad: .I suggest your pick up a few books on what and what not to feed cows.And by the way even a little dog food is way to much cow are herbivores and any animal protein is forbidden.Some people need to get a clue or we will never be a BSE free industry.I think with attitudes like this maybe more testing should be done and if you break the rules what about high fines or even jail?Some people have no business even being in the business.Poor cows that have to eat that crap.

Now, now - calm down.

Only Canadian cattle are diseased and dangerous to the health of others - do not worry about it. You know those darned Canucks feed their animals all sorts of crap.

No sense getting wrapped around the axles.

8)

Bez>

Daisy452":hzfbrigr said:
L Weir":hzfbrigr said:

Bez>

Your comment -

quote - a little bit like my heifer go into is ok - end quote is so wrong.

In fact I will put it too you this way. If an addict drops a used needle on the ground and the addict has a disease. And then you stick yourself with the needle - just a tiny no account scratch - would you be worried?

No?

Well I would be.

All your calf had to eat was one tiny microscopic piece of infected meat by product and it has the disease.

You truly need to get educated - and you need to educate your peers.

There is not such thing as "it's ok - it was just a tiny bit".

Someday - I hope it never happens but it seems inevitable - you will see the worst - I have been there and it nearly destroyed us.

Your cavalier attitude will be the thing that sinks you. Beware.

Sigh

Bez>

Bez>":5u2k1zc4 said:
Only Canadian cattle are diseased and dangerous to the health of others - do not worry about it. You know those darned Canucks feed their animals all sorts of crap.
8)

Bez>

That's right. Only Canadian cattle have BSE. Won't find it here in the U.S. ;-)

The 'owner' at a place where I once worked liked to feed dog biscuits and trout-food pellets to the cows as a 'treat' because "they liked it". I explained to her why this is a very bad practice, I even showed her the labels on the bags those products came in stating that they are not to be fed to ruminants, and her response was "they're my cows and I can feed them anything I darn well please".

And some folks wondered why I stopped working there :roll: :roll:

Katherine

ooohhhh this attitude some have gets me so angry!!!!! :mad:
The person who thought of feeding animal by products to herbivours should be strung up by their toe nails. At the very least be accountable for what has transpired.
We need to grab a few brain cells and realize that what we do effects others. If someone feeds dog food, chicken feed or any other non ruminent feed to cattle they need to realize that they can be the undoing of our industry as a whole if one of them gets BSE.
If they think "oh my animal won't get it" they need to get their head out of the sand (or...) and get a clue.
Dog food to cattle...good grief...what next? :x :mad:

Latest posts