Help

Help Support CattleToday:

J-LizH

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,
I have an Angus that gave birth in late April 2019 while we were out of town. Came home 3 days later to a very sickly calf. We started bottle feeding her and gave her antibiotics. She had snot and was wheezy, eventually she did OK, but really stunted. I thought the calf got sick and couldn't nurse. Now I am wondering if it's my cow??? Saturday 3-28-20, woke up to a new calf same mom. Both looked good and calf appeared to be nursing. By Sunday night calf was not getting up. Gave her a 2 pints of half strength milk replacer that night. Monday am the same amount of milk replacer. Couldn't get the mom to hold still to check her udder. One side looked nursed the other side not at all. Had a neighbor come load up both to see if we could milk the momma out and get the baby to nurse. The mom's udder is solid cement. Started her on antibiotics and took the calf home to continue bottle feeding. Tuesday the calf wouldn't get up had bloody yellow diarrhea. Giving the calf a bolus for scours 2 x's a day. and electrolytes a total of 2 qts yesterday. This morning (Wednesday) calf had still gooey poo between yellow and green. No blood that I can see. She did moo when I came in to the stall and stood to drink. Drank 4 Cups of electrolytes in am. Made a 4 cup bottle with 2 oz of milk replacer and small scoop of colostrum mix in it around 1:00 PM This time she got up and walked to me and drank like a champ. I plan to give 4 more cups of electrolytes around 5:00 pm and them maybe some more milk replacer later this evening. Trying not to give too much to soon.

My first question: Do you think I should not breed the mom again and just feed her up the next 6 mths and put her in the freezer? Shes a really good looking cow from a really good line.
Second any suggestions that I need to do for the calf? I am so new to raising cows and appreciate all the help I can get.
Thank you in advance! So glad I found this website!

Sounds like the cow is a dud. I definitely wouldn't breed her again.

Always mix milk replacer according to the ratio on the label. Too much/too little powder in the water is a recipe for digestive upsets. Feed four quarts of milk replacer daily, and work her up to six quarts by the time she's two weeks old. Make sure she's always got fresh water and some calf grain available. They'll start eating and drinking earlier than most people expect.

In addition to Buck's suggestion, I'd make sure the calf has quality hay to munch on. Pro Bios is always good for gut health (gel, bolus or a powder in her water).

Sounds like the cow has a raging case of mastitis. Even if successfully treated this time it's a recipe for disaster next year and I would cull. Or eat.

Buck and TC have it right. Keep doing what your doing with the calf.
It doesn't matter how good she is, the cows got to go. She will only cost you money and frustration of you keep her around.

Thanks for all the info. Calf is much more alert today, poo is still gooey and greenish but not as slimy looking. Gave her 1 qt of electrolytes this am. Should I give it some pepto bismal? If so how much?
Thank you
J-Liz

Look at me, having to take my own advise. Had a big bull calf born 2 days ago and watched him nurse - but he wasn't getting enough. Didn't notice until this morning, caught my attention because he was bawling while standing right next to his mama. Watched him for a while and he's only nursing on the 2 front teats. Made a couple bottles and he downed 5 pints so he's not starving but clearly needs more nutrition. Was able to get one good yank on her teats/feel her bag before she lost her good mood. Logistically, can't get her in the chute right away so will continue to supplement until I can treat her. She's a great cow but 10 years old and this will be her last calf.

Gross pic but does the gooey, greenish poo look like this? If so, I wouldn't worry about it and no need for pepto. This was from a calf I was treating for a potentially lethal case of scours and had given him Nursemate ASAP and Pro Bios gel (and he fully recovered). You're doing great!

Thanks for the picture... A picture is worth a thousand words for sure! Very close to what I am seeing now, not the yellow bloody mess on Tuesday. May I pick your brain? This is all new to me. My husbands great idea to have cows has become my portion. The same Momma birthed a calf last year in March. That calf is really stunted because I was out of town and didn't see her till three day later. She was pretty sick by then. I was told only bottle feeding her for only a month and she'd be fine. She looks healthy but is half the size of our 7 month old heifer born in October. Since I have been out in the field a whole lot more since Sunday I see the other cows don't let her feed and knock her around a lot. I was thinking about penning her up at feeding time and giving her some of the calf started I am getting for the new calf when she is ready to eat. I was thinking when this new calf is strong enough to let those two be together in a small pasture and feed separately. Is this a good idea or buy a grower feed for the 1 yr old? I've been reading articles on the internet and so much contradicts what each article says.
Thank you,
Joan

e. coli mastitis can do that apparently.
I've only had it happen once, and I took the calf straight off the cow and hand-reared it (he's with my herd bulls now about 18 months old). It was much later that I read mastitis can make the calf sick... and I knew it was e. coli mastitis, we have a problem with it in this herd and she'd had it the previous lactation and never dried down properly.

So it may be your cow, it may just be bad luck, but given the information that the cow has mastitis I'd suggest it's not unlikely she had an infection last year also and the bacteria causing the infection also sickened the calves.

Grower feed is fine for older animals, just check the label - you can post the label here and ask for advice.

My husband brought home Nutrena Nutrebeef Creeper feed. I won't offer it till next week. I want to make sure her stomach is ready for it.
Ya'll sure are a big help and comfort to me!

Here is the nutritional breadk down on the Creeper feed.
Protein 14.0
Fat 2.5
Fiber 15.0
Calcium 1.5-2.0
Phosphorus 0.5
Salt 1.0-1.5
Potassuim 0.6
Vitamin A 4,0000IU/lb

:clap: Great picture I was eating. 🤣😝

TCRanch said:
Look at me, having to take my own advise. Had a big bull calf born 2 days ago and watched him nurse - but he wasn't getting enough. Didn't notice until this morning, caught my attention because he was bawling while standing right next to his mama. Watched him for a while and he's only nursing on the 2 front teats. Made a couple bottles and he downed 5 pints so he's not starving but clearly needs more nutrition. Was able to get one good yank on her teats/feel her bag before she lost her good mood. Logistically, can't get her in the chute right away so will continue to supplement until I can treat her. She's a great cow but 10 years old and this will be her last calf.

Gross pic but does the gooey, greenish poo look like this? If so, I wouldn't worry about it and no need for pepto. This was from a calf I was treating for a potentially lethal case of scours and had given him Nursemate ASAP and Pro Bios gel (and he fully recovered). You're doing great!

Cull or eat the cow. If you ever have this situation again, the first thing you want to do is get 2 Quarts of Clostrum into the calf, even if you think it nursed. Also feed the calf milk for a minimum of 2 months, when its eating 3 pounds of grain Daily then you can get it off the bottle, if you don't want it to be stunted, feed it grain till its 6 months old or so.

Vet did look at the mom. He said her udder is gone!! So off to the freezer she will go as soon as I get her back back to health.
Thanks for the insight!

Latest posts