Help with cow

Help Support CattleToday:

bulldog04

Reaction score
So yesterday a cow and calf were away from the herd. Pulled up to her and knew she wasn't right and could tell she lost weight. Pushed her into the corral with the SxS and she had a slow walk and looked a little stiff in the hips with no energy. Her nose and eyes are clear. She may have had a little slobber on her mouth. She pooped fine on the way, didn't stop to do it. She ate some cubes. Today fed her and she ate okay. Didn't attack the feed but ate all of it. When she was done, she walked off and pooped without stopping. But then she stopped, arched her back and peed. She was either forcing the pee out or it really hurt. Today I didn't see any slobber and her eyes and nose are still clear.

How old is she?

A lot of things caught my attention. May be totally off base but something to consider is lymphoma. The cow in the pic is (was) 7 years old. Noticed she had been losing weight, sometimes a little drool and I initially thought she had lump jaw because there was swelling on the side of her face even though she had a voracious appetite. And then I snapped this pic while she was peeing because of the way she was hunched, thinking possibly a UTI but also noticed a lump on her rear. She was staying with the herd but lagging. When the vet palped her, the lump was (internally) the size of a football and tumors has spread throughout, hence the swelling on her face.

You didn't mention any swelling but look at the lymph nodes on her legs, primarily the back where she's acting stiff.

Not sure if anaplasmosis is a problem in your area but that's another thing to consider.

TCRanch said:
How old is she?

A lot of things caught my attention. May be totally off base but something to consider is lymphoma. The cow in the pic is (was) 7 years old. Noticed she had been losing weight, sometimes a little drool and I initially thought she had lump jaw because there was swelling on the side of her face even though she had a voracious appetite. And then I snapped this pic while she was peeing because of the way she was hunched, thinking possibly a UTI but also noticed a lump on her rear. She was staying with the herd but lagging. When the vet palped her, the lump was (internally) the size of a football and tumors has spread throughout, hence the swelling on her face.

You didn't mention any swelling but look at the lymph nodes on her legs, primarily the back where she's acting stiff.

Not sure if anaplasmosis is a problem in your area but that's another thing to consider.
She will be 6 or 7. I will get a pic of her

Pretty girl!

Nothing really stands out in the pics, other than she's thin. Have you been able to take her temp?

Couple other things to consider as far as hunching her back: Did you see her clean after she calved? Does she smell? Possible retained placenta/infection (or aforementioned UTI).

Has she been in heat recently? Walking a little stiff in the hips not uncommon after aggressive riding.

Plan B: take her to the vet.

TCRanch said:
Pretty girl!

Nothing really stands out in the pics, other than she's thin. Have you been able to take her temp?

Couple other things to consider as far as hunching her back: Did you see her clean after she calved? Does she smell? Possible retained placenta/infection (or aforementioned UTI).

Has she been in heat recently? Walking a little stiff in the hips not uncommon after aggressive riding.

I don't have a thermometer yet so I haven't been able to get a temp. She didn't have a retained placenta and I saw her the day after she calved so unless it broke off in her I never seen the placenta. The calf is 37 days old and I haven't seen her bulling. And there is no smell at all. This morning she really hunched up when she peed and held there for probably close to 10 seconds after she was done. It looked very odd

bulldog04 said:
TCRanch said:
Pretty girl!

I don't have a thermometer yet so I haven't been able to get a temp. She didn't have a retained placenta and I saw her the day after she calved so unless it broke off in her I never seen the placenta. The calf is 37 days old and I haven't seen her bulling. And there is no smell at all. This morning she really hunched up when she peed and held there for probably close to 10 seconds after she was done. It looked very odd
You need to get her in.

TCRanch said:
bulldog04 said:
TCRanch said:
Pretty girl!

You need to get her in.
Into a vet?

She's definitely in a less than optimal body score condition and not merely gaunted up. Looks like you have green pasture with some growth. Is she noticeably thinner than your other cattle? Is she displaying any other odd behavior/signs of discomfort aside from what you've described? What color and consistency is her urine i.e. normal color & consistency versus bloody/indications of pus?
If she's 37 days post calving and just now demonstrating discomfort sans previous obvious indicators its unlikely she retained the placenta nor a decomposing twin.
A thermometer is crucial to monitoring health.

76 Bar said:
Getting her to a vet is impossible. I can't drive my truck to the corral now. To see what I'm up against google: flash flooding scott county arkansas. Our vet doesn't regularly make house calls because she stays full at the office. As soon as it quits raining I guess I will give her 36 ccs of LA300 to hit a UTI or another infection and say another prayer. Here are some photos of my neighbors across the highway

Yeah, thanks for sending the rain my way. ;-) Over 5" today and definitely flooding so I feel your pain.

Hardware could be a possibility. You can get a magnet at most farm stores, insert with a balling gun. And buy a thermometer while you're there! Symptoms may include: drooling, hunching her back, swollen brisket &/or swollen front legs (don't see that in her pic), laying straight down - not on her side to get better air flow, raising her neck (again, for better air flow), loss of appetite and condition, sometimes you can hear labored breathing. She may not have a temp if it's early. Poo eventually gets dark and firm. Unfortunately, I know too much about hardware.

MurraysMutts said:
She looks a bit thin to me as well.
Does she always lose condition while nursing a calf?
And how do the other mamas look?

I thought all cows hunched to pee.

They do. But when they maintain the hunched position & it's a little more pronounced it catches your attention; something's not right.

She does have a low fever. Inside her lips were rough, raw feeling. Gave her 36 cc of LA 300z. She's still real lethargic. Here is a pic of he peeing and some of the other herd.

update: gave her 36cc of la Wednesday and gave her another round today. She had more energy and had more fight in her today. She did not want to go into the chute gave me fits. For once that made me happy. I didn't check her fever because if she was acting like tat I didn't figure she had any. So maybe things are turning around. She drank more water today also

Glad she's perking up! Were you able to give her a magnet? I'd definitely keep an eye on her; if you don't continue to see improvement, get her to the vet once it dries out enough. May want to have her tested for anaplasmosis.

Latest posts