HELP WITH A PROLAPSE

Help Support CattleToday:

DAYMON

Reaction score
I have a cow that is due to calf anytime and this morning I noticed her vagina has prolapsed it is sticking out about 8 inches and is about 4 or 6 inches around. I tryed a couple of times to get her up but she will not come into the corral she bolts and is very nervous which is unusual as she has always been very calm and gentle. I didn't want to run her too much but I am not sure what to do. I put feed in the corral and all my cows but her and the one with the new calf came in and ate. I even left while they were eating and she would not go into the corral. I think she might be fixing to calve and want to be alone will she be able to calve with the prolapse? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Daymon

Let her raise the calf and the ship her this fall. It will get worse.

Do a search on the health and breeding board on prolapse. Got a lot of good info on this site on prolapses and the different views.

Like Angus said, you need to get her up and take care of that prolapse. You may have to keep trying the feed or put a bale of hay in the pen and wait to see if she comes in to get her hay. You may just have to try to capture her with panels if there is a narrow place in the field where she has to go. You have to take care of that prolapse to make sure she can calve. If you can't get her up, you may need to tranquilize her. Once you get her up, you can push it back in and sew her up and then be ready to cut the string when she starts to calve. Good luck

I am sure it isn't the water sac. We tried all day today to get her up and still no luck. She is not interested in coming up with the others to feed and when you try to walk her she just bolts and it dosn't matter who is in the way she goes to the woods. We even tried to rope her but she won't let us get close enough now. I am going to have to get her up soon because it's swelling and getting a little worse.

If you can't outrun her you haven't got a chance.

If you can outrun her and haven't got good fences you haven't got a chance.

You need a good horse, a good cattle dog, or a place where you can use a quad. Or all 3.

Do you have anyone in your area who has a dart gun who can tranquilize her? If you can get within 50 feet without getting her excited, she will go to sleep with about 5 cc's of xylazine or rompum. Then you can put the prolapse back in and sew her up. There have been many on this board speak against a dart gun, but your problem could have been taken care of right after you saw that she wouldn't cooperate with the gun. I am sure she will weigh out more than a gun would cost, so if you shoot and kill her just to get the calf, you have thrown money away by not having a gun. Best of luck

Thanks for the advice. I am going to call around about the dart gun in the morning. I wouldn't really shoot her it's not her fault. I think if we can get the dart gun I will load her and take her to a friend of mines barn he is an order buyer so he has great facilities he said I can keep her in a stall there until she has the calf and if I want to wait to wean it I can keep her in one of his outside lots. They are all welded pipe and very strong.

Thanks again

Daymon

If you can get a tranq in her the reason for shooting her is to keep her form suffering whne she trys to calve

She is safe and in a pen at my friends place we got a rope on her and pulled her into the trailer in the middle of the field. She let us get closer to her in the dark. We cleaned the prolapsed tissue with warm soapy water coated it with sugar and pushed it back in we are going to watch an see if it comes back out. If it does we will stitch her, she is easy to work now and really calm. I was suprised that she didn't fight all that much after we got the rope on her. We bumped her and the calf is still in her I just hope all the stress and running didn't hurt the calf. Time will tell at least I have her up and safe and have done all that I can. Again thanks for the advice.

Other random thoughts from my own prolapse experiences . . .

my vet suggested putting a plastic bag of ice in the vagina to minimize the swelling and irritation that the tissue has in place.

giving her some feed to loosen her stool and keep her from pushing anything could help keep it together too.

These things are just temporary of course till you can get the calf out. Also, I had one once that we had stitched up. I knew when the cows was due because I saw her bred so I had the vet come out and induce her so I knew the exact moment to cut her stitches.

Glad to hear you got it back in. One thing that no one mentioned and it of the utmost importance in getting a vagina back in is urine output, which typical doesn't happen with a vaginal prolapse. You have only a few days to get it back in before the bladder goes 'pop' and the only solution is a bullet. :cowboy:

Calve her out and ship her in the fall.

Aaron":1c4ml2t4 said:
Glad to hear you got it back in. One thing that no one mentioned and it of the utmost importance in getting a vagina back in is urine output, which typical doesn't happen with a vaginal prolapse. You have only a few days to get it back in before the bladder goes 'pop' and the only solution is a bullet. :cowboy:

I assume she'd be sold for slaughter only?

djinwa":24c9rhb6 said:
Aaron":24c9rhb6 said:

I assume she'd be sold for slaughter only?

Of course. :cboy:

Latest posts