help needed quickly

Help Support CattleToday:

brimmer X

Reaction score
I need some assistance quickly. My braunvieh bull and a first calf hiefer are having trouble. The bull is walking like is coordination is way off. He slings his head to the left and walks to the side. He looks good, no runny bowel movments. Staggerly walks, but will make his way to feed. The heifer does about the same just not as pronounced. The vet was contacted. Thought it might be a thymine def. Gave Thymine chloride 20cc. The vet task if any moldy hay had been feed. There was some feed.

The animals have been in about a 3 acre pad for a few months. One other heifer did not have any effects. The calves show no signs. Both animals look alert,just strange coordination. It will just about kill if something happens to him. He is the most expensive bull I purchased, a full blood about 4 years I have had him for a year.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are no cherry trees in the that area. The trees in that area are:gum, cedar, hackberry, and a few oak. NOt that much grass. In addition to hay, there is a protein tub, mineral lick, and I feed a combination of soy and corn gluten about 4 times a week(by hand).

I have moved them to a holding pen. They will be checked sometime after church. Aside from the coordination, each appears to be fine. I have seen a few mushrooms in the area, could that be it? The rest of my cows in the pasture have shown no effects of the hay. They do have free choice minerals.
Thanks for any advice!

I did a survey of the pen today. There are a few oaks in the area, but no real producers of acorns. Thanks for the post FarmerJon and Floyd. I think it must be something else.
The bull and cow got another dose of Thiamne Hydrachloride today.

Latest posts