Help me out - is she in heat?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
So I'm trying to catch this cow - 311 - in standing heat so she can be AI'd. She was in heat around the 31st/1st and I missed it. Gave her a shot of GnRH on the 2nd, she had Lutalyse Friday morning (modified Ovasynch program, LOL), and I'm waiting. 48 hours past the Lute now.

She's been pastured with two other mature cows since Friday afternoon, both are bred. I saw one try to ride her yesterday afternoon...might have been just dominance as I let her in the pasture. 311 wouldn't stand.

I brought her home this morning after being milked at the dairy, and (temporarily!) put her in with the two "calves" in the butcher pen while I did the rest of my chores. One of the ones in that pen is a 1400lb freemartin, other about 1050lbs and all I know is that she's never cycled. The smaller heifer promptly mounted 311, and she did stand then. However, I did not see 311 stand again, though both the freemartin and smaller heifer tried several times.

I guess it's worth noting that I have never seen that smaller heifer mount anything, ever. Today was the first time. Also, 311 is a boss cow, and she didn't know either of the two heifers in that pen, so that might explain her refusal to stand or even let them sniff her after the first time...?

I know my vet can tell if she's in heat or not...but although they're on call to breed her whenever I give the word, I'd rather not call them out every 12 hours to check and see if she's in. :roll: Any thoughts or comments? I know my vet has several flush cows at the vet clinic that are being given shots every 12 hours - should I take 311 over this evening and have them check to see if she feels like she was in heat this morning?

With some cows that's about all you get is a glimpse. When she stood, did she stand stock still or try to walk or move? If she stood once she was in heat.

dun

She stood still. :nod:

I just wasn't really sure because although she did stand the first time -- after that she wheeled and butted those heifers when they even sniffed her. Boss cow has a slight attitude problem. :lol:

Thanks dun.

milkmaid":1yt2t9te said:
Boss cow has a slight attitude problem. :lol:

That's what makes her the Boss Cow. Standing is hormones wacking the crap out of others is attitude

dun

OK dun, now I have another question. I am certain she's in heat now. I took a quick walk out to the barn a few moments ago and watched the cows for all of 60 seconds - and saw 311 standing. (Guess hormones take precedence over attitude. LOL.) So she's definetly in standing heat now, but...when should she be AI'd? If she stood once at 6am, and she's displaying a strong standing heat now at 1pm, does she get bred this evening, tomorrow morning...when?

Thanks!

I would breed her around 6-7 pm this evening. Even the tail end of standing heat is a good time. Better to have the stuff there a little early (heifer calf) then a little late (no calf).

dun

Latest posts