Hello from Southern Oklahoma

Help Support CattleToday:

crooked horn

Reaction score
Hello, I am building a small cow calf operation in Southern Oklahoma and I am very excited about the wealth of knowledge available here. I have been around cattle all my life, but find it very interesting and educational to see how things are done differently in different parts of the country and world.

C H Welcome to the forum. Love the Oklahoma quarters and wish I could find a 5 oz silver!
So do you have hump and ears or whatever works? Best Wishes.....

Welcome and enjoy the company and knowledge.
Right now, we all know you are from Ok - but tomorrow you may post on something else - and I don't know about all the others, but I'm old and I definitely will NOT remember where you are from. Please go to your profile & fill in your location. If you look at everyone's info on the left, you will see our location. Sure helps answering your questions. Sometimes LOCATION is everything!

Kenny you are correct, Oklahoma is a very diverse state. I am actually located between the pines of the southeast and mesquite of the southwest just north of Lake Texoma. Native vegetation for this area is tall grass prairie and cross timbers forest. From the 1920's through the 1990's this area was primarily farm land with peanuts being the primary crop. Today most of the agriculture is beef cattle and hay. Most of the farm ground has been converted to improved grasses, mainly Bermuda and Bahia grasses. My property is about 2\3 Bahia with some Bermuda and about 1\3 native grass including Big and Little Bluestem and Indian Grass.
I have not had cattle of my own in several years, but am finally in a position to get back into the game on my own terms. The plan is to purchase cattle and turn out in March. I will be running a small commercial herd of cross bread cows with a terminal bull and trying to take full advantage of heterosis.

Latest posts