heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

heath

Reaction score
I put this heifer in with a steer I am feeding out, with the possibility of keeping her. She turned out pretty well, but with the prices they are bringing I'm gonna go ahead and sell her.

I can sell her for 1300, if she brings 1.75 @ 750lbs. The guy I buy most of my cows from has a set of calves that he bought and two of the ended up being bred and calved. I can get the pairs for $1000/pair. One is a longhorn that I'll sell as bred when I sell the calf and the other one is a charlais cross that might make a cow. I don't keep many calves, I usually buy odds and keep them if they work and trade them if they dont.

Beautiful heifer. I sure would like to have her. She will bring a good price, but if I needed a replacement heifer I would sure keep her.

She IS nice. But. What I say is, $1300 is nice to have in the bank! :) We'll probably be taking in several that look like her, or better, in a few weeks after we preg check, and I'll be laughing allll the way to the aforementioned financial institution.

I don't really understand selling a nice replacement, and buying lesser quality. I guess that's why I am not really " in the cattle business" though. I keep anything that fits the standard of my program and sell what doesn't. I try to build quality in my herd, not quantity.
But I do understand why it works the other way around for some people with different goals than I have.

sell her then you will realize that you know were she came from and what's behind her. If you feelyou can buy better go for it and when it comes back at you don't say wow I should of kept her. think brother

heath":isy611xh said:
I can sell her for 1300, if she brings 1.75 @ 750lbs. The guy I buy most of my cows from has a set of calves that he bought and two of the ended up being bred and calved. I can get the pairs for $1000/pair. One is a longhorn that I'll sell as bred when I sell the calf and the other one is a charlais cross that might make a cow. I don't keep many calves, I usually buy odds and keep them if they work and trade them if they dont.

That's a pretty heifer. No doubt about it. It'll also be a year and half before you sell a calf off of her if she got bred today. Buying young pairs puts $ in your operation sooner. Keep the best, pass on the rest. Nothing wrong with your philosophy. Plus that heifer is going to have to pull on your hay pile one more winter before you ever see a dollar out of her.

Good points for selling and another point for keeping.

The question is how much higher or lower will prices be when you decide to buy a replacement?
I don't see prices going down anytime soon and when it comes time to buy a replacement, it may be much higher than the $1300 that the heifer brought.
The value of keeping her is that you know what her mother looked like and produced and who her sire is.

She is a good looking heifer.

I kept my comments to my self as long as I could. Here goes... She is a fine looking heifer. I understand selling her and buy a replacement but the replacements on the market these days, with the viable qualities I see in the pic. would make me think hard especially if you know she has a desirable background. Replacements are high as all get out right now and one that looks like that will be $2.5K or better if you can find it. My math works out today in favor of keeping her if you have the grass.

I bought a heifer last week weighed 575 pounds and brought 2.20 to get her home. Since then i have come off the cloud i was on when purchasing that female and have come to realize we will not be buying anymore young heifers due to the market.

If I were in your position I would proably ship her as well. 1.75-2.00 bucks a pound is a solid return on any investment. My rule of thumb for me or a trend ive been setting for myself has always been starting with young heifers ( 1st calf heifers) and once a female pays for herself then ill look at retaining her progeny.

With my investment last week... there is a good chance if the market holds up for a couple years i can get my return.
Then have a 3 year old cow who has her life ahead of her to stack the chedda. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Make your money... no one knows what tommorow will bring. We could be at the start of a drought for 7 months... you never know. Feeder calves and yearling heifers are in high demand.

That is a really nice heifer. I find myself being over picky on heifers at her age. Just because of the money she brings now is not so much what you are going after. That is a fine heifer. Look at what she can put on a steer each time she has a calf. Cows can have a calf for a long time these days. We have had them up into their teens if you keep good tender grass to them and feed them in the winter. I have a 12 year old that has never missed a year. You may not run across one that is that thick through the middle again, with that big butt, and heavy boned. If you have a friend that is looking for a heifer, have him pay the pounds the price they are bringing at the sale barn, but make sure she goes to a good home. Someone will thank you.

Latest posts