heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Travis Bryan

Reaction score
I was going out to gather our spring pairs and yearling heifers today, and when I started counting the heifers I kept getting 1 too many. I got to looking and saw a nice looking black heifer with a yellow tag in her left ear(we tag all of ours in the right ear)and realized she wasnt ours. This is the second time a heifer showed up that wasnt ours. The last one (which showed up about 7years ago)looked like a longhorn cross and raises one of the best calves every year. I was just wondering if anybody else has heifers or cows that show up and never get claimed.

Travis

P.S. I kinda hope noone claims this one either because she looks like she would make a nice cow!!!

We had one show up like that 4 yrs ago. One day she just appeared. She looked to have some holstein in her, so obviously we checked first with both of the neighbors that dairy. Nope, none of theirs. Then one of our neighbors is a cattle trader (mostly steers) and usually brings home a load about every friday, so we though maybe it had slipped out of one of his bunches, nope. After calling around the neighborhood and spreading the word down at the MFA, we just decided if no one wanted to claim her we'd just keep her. She turned out to be a nice cow and raises one of our better calves.

We've had a couple bulls show up in the pasture - but they were always one of the neighbors. Never had any unknown cows or heifers show up. Most people around here know each others cattle so they would either have to be new stock or from miles away.

We had four cows show up one year and with them was a dwarfy looking heifer. Run one in the chute so we could check the brand and find out who they belonged too. Called him up and told him they were in our corral and he could just pick them up there. The next day they were gone, but the heifer was still there and it had his brand on it. Called him up and he never came and got it. We raised calves off it for 6 years and she raised good one's they were almost as big as her. We I decided to go to college we took the cow down to the auction yard and he never came and picked up the check. Brand inspector finally brought us the check and said use it as the feed bill.

Bobg

It's good to know there are still some honest people out there. My friend lost a bred angus off my land. He eventually put an ad in the paper to find her. Someone a mile or so from my place called him to come and get it about 2 weeks later. As he and another fellow were in the process of loading the cow, she slipped under the fence into another neighbors place. By the time it took him to get to the neighbor's front door to tell her his cow had crossed over, she had already corraled the cow and called the sheriff on him for trespassing!

About 15 years ago I had a mostly Brahma with a little B Angus calf get in my pasture. I knew who it belonged to so I called him and told him where to come get it. He said ok. After a couple weeks he didn't come and I ran her back out into the flat woods where I was sure her mom was. She came back the next day. I called the guy again and left a message saying come get her. That heifer is still on my place and she is now 15. She has given me some really calves over the years. The guy sold the flat woods and cows about a year after "stranger" arrived. She has always been one of the more docile ones in that field too even though she looks like she would catch you for a nickel.

I don't have much problems anymore with my bulls fighting the neighbors bulls. All my neighbors are sod farmers now. Now only my interior fences get torn down. :x

Went out day before yesterday and noticed an extra in my pasture. Looks like about a 4 or 5 mo old black mottly faced heifer. Stuck out like a sore thumb since I knew I didnt have any mottly faced heifers retained for replacements, and she has no ear tags. LOL and was wonderin round bellerin real loud. I dont know where she came from for sure but, only 1 of two places possible. lettin both of them know, but one only raises brangus, (all black) and the other has crosses...so most likely that's where she came from. He is also the neighbor who's bulls been in my pasture goin on 3 months now. Not too worried about the bull , since when he showed up his.....ummmm (tryin to word this nicely) he's not servicable anymore because he was "broke" and swollen when he showed up. Anyway, if he dont come get this heifer, she'll get a ear tag next time the cows are in the lot and get to stay. This owner has asked us to pen his bull a couple times. But Excuse me....it's his bull, why should I risk life and limb to pen his bull when it's not mine?
Would probably require roping him from a horse anyway, so it aint happenin. If he gets in the pen the next go round when we work so be it..I"ll haul him to the salebarn.

we dont have a lot of cowboy types around here. its customary and a whole lot easier for everyone involved for the ranch owner whose property the new animal is on to pen the animal or herd at his or her convenience. while most would be willing to come help catch the animal, most farmers i know would rather not have anyone else around in the way. I would never let a bunch of so and sos around here come on my property to catch a cow.

Bobg":ct0xdgwl said:
We had four cows show up one year and with them was a dwarfy looking heifer. Run one in the chute so we could check the brand and find out who they belonged too. Called him up and told him they were in our corral and he could just pick them up there. The next day they were gone, but the heifer was still there and it had his brand on it. Called him up and he never came and got it. Bobg

It sounds like to me he was thanking you for all the extra work you put into catching his cows and penning them. And then calling him. People in my area are like that.

Well, I spoke too soon. A few days ago I was working at my house(the place where this heifer is, is about 3 miles away)and a guy who i didnt even know came by and said he had tracked and found his heifer in with my cows. He said his son won the calf scramble at houston and this was the one they bought, but she got out. He lives out five miles away on the other side of me, meaning this heifer came about 8 miles. I asked him what she looked like and what her ear tag number was and he told me everything about her. I told him I was about to move all those cows and I would leave her and he could come pick her up and he said ok. I hope she does good for him down the road! Sure wished I could have kept her but oh well

Beefy":2lkurpv6 said:
we dont have a lot of cowboy types around here. its customary and a whole lot easier for everyone involved for the ranch owner whose property the new animal is on to pen the animal or herd at his or her convenience. while most would be willing to come help catch the animal, most farmers i know would rather not have anyone else around in the way. I would never let a bunch of so and sos around here come on my property to catch a cow.
That's the way it is here too, Beefy. I thought that was just plain common courtesy among cattlemen everywhere. Anytime you have cattle get on somebody else, you ask them what they want you to do about it and you respect their wishes---whatever it takes. I know I don't want anybody coming on my place stirring my cattle up. I don't care how many of 'em there are, I'll get 'em when I get ready and that's just the way it is.

Texan":iw0s14gf said:
Beefy":iw0s14gf said:
That's the way it is here too, Beefy. I thought that was just plain common courtesy among cattlemen everywhere. Anytime you have cattle get on somebody else, you ask them what they want you to do about it and you respect their wishes---whatever it takes. I know I don't want anybody coming on my place stirring my cattle up. I don't care how many of 'em there are, I'll get 'em when I get ready and that's just the way it is.

We never even called the owner. Simply opened the gate, sorted his critters out of ours and ran them back home. No biggie.

PS Probably should have said that I knew the brands of all the neighbors, so I knew where the critter belonged. Sorry. :oops:

I don't know if ya'll are replying to my post about the neighbor bull or not, but thought I'd give a lil more info in case ya'll were thinkin I'm not a good neighbor. The Bull belongs to my hubby's uncle. He's known for lettin his critters roam, poor fence keeper etc. Not the first time this has happened. This bull blows and paws the ground when I just pull up in the truck. If I were to call out the "cowboy type" that are our help it'd cost me $100.00 for each, no questions asked, and I just don't feel I should fork out the money to put his bull back in his pasture. I patched all the fences he tore up gettin into my pasture. My bull has gotten into the neighbors pasture when a tree blew down on the fence. We cut the tree off the fence, took the fence down, and led him back thru with a bucket of feed. Then put the fence back up. We did talk to that neighbor and let him know what we were doing beforehand. It's not an easy task to just sort one bull out of 100 head or so of cows, that are on 350 acres and take him to the lot, or open the gate and send him home. Especially when I dont know the temperament of that bull, it's not worth gettin hurt over.

Latest posts